Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are plenty of good, FREE anti malware/spyware/virus protection programs that don't eat up your system resources like Norton. . .and doing a system restore that often can do damage to your computer too.

what kind of harm am i doing to the computer with the restores? and what does it mean--eating up resources, what resources? i will look into other security programs, but am immobilized at the moment....

I started an old favorite that I remember re-reading years ago: The Mote In God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

It's been so long, none of it is familiar at all, so I'm really enjoying it.

I started an old favorite that I remember re-reading years ago: The Mote In God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

oh wow, the mote in good's eye was a favorite read of mine too--over thirty years ago...:) following your lead, zee, i will reread this oldie-but-goodie, and see how many sparks of recollection i'm able to reignite. only today did i learn of the two sequels to the mote that were published many years later....looking at me today, one would never suspect that i was once an avid reader and follower of sf books and authors....:) (the mote in god's eye is what i meant to type in line one of this post--arrghhh!!)

Last edited:

Have you read, "Lucifer's Hammer," by Niven and Pournelle? Excellent story! One MisCon, I was manning the Heinlein desk, and someone asked me a question, I looked up and it was Larry Niven...asking me a question about Heinlein. I was slightly nervous.

what kind of harm am i doing to the computer with the restores? and what does it mean--eating up resources, what resources? i will look into other security programs, but am immobilized at the moment....

Did you get the PM I sent you with the links? And its kind of tough to explain about the resources. Try to imagine your computer like a filing cabinet and it keeps everything stored in there. Norton uses a couple of drawers instead of just a part of a drawer. Other systems (like the AVG link I sent you) only use small parts of one drawer. And a restore is like playing a record backward. Does that help? Check that PM I sent you and I can walk you through installing the stuff you need.

oh wow, the mote in good's eye was a favorite read of mine too--over thirty years ago...:) following your lead, zee, i will reread this oldie-but-goodie, and see how many sparks of recollection i'm able to reignite. only today did i learn of the two sequels to the mote that were published many years later....looking at me today, one would never suspect that i was once an avid reader and follower of sf books and authors....:) (the mote in god's eye is what i meant to type in line one of this post--arrghhh!!)

Do you remember the sequels' titles? I don't remember reading any sequels. I do want to order Lucifer's Hammer. I remember enjoying that book too,

Ok.. I will admit it.. I am reading Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse book 9) and have read the first 8 before this.

Ok.. I will admit it.. I am reading Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse book 9) and have read the first 8 before this.

Are you embarrassed Frank? do you watch True Blood behind closed doors too? ;) I quite like Charlaine Harris's stuff. I prefer the Lily Bard series, but Sookie is good too. (Lily shows up in a couple of the Sookie books for a brief appearance)

We do watch True Blood. It is less.. umm.. silly than the books.

I started Dead in the Family this morning.

I'll finish The Mote In God's Eye tonight and have a brand new Tami Hoag on deck called Secrets Of The Grave.

We do watch True Blood. It is less.. umm.. silly than the books.

I started Dead in the Family this morning.

You have GOT to be kidding me. You have to take a pretty big leap out of reality no matter whether you're reading or watching these. I'd say either one is a bit on the fluffy but fun side.

FYI - Babe, that is the third book in a series. "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is the first and "The Girl Who Played With Fire" is the second.

I've read them all and loved them. They are a bit, um, unusual but in a way that really grabbed my curiosity. Sadly Stieg Larsson died before he wrote any more. Rats! I enjoyed his writing.

I finished PartnerShip and am starting on Water For Elephants. It seems good so far.

I just finished Water for Elephants and I have to say it's the best book I've read in the last 15 years or so and I've read lots of books. Usually 3+ per week.

I loved the story and, when I finished the book, I must've cried for 15 minutes it was so beautiful. What a story!! Now I HAVE to see the movie.

You have GOT to be kidding me. You have to take a pretty big leap out of reality no matter whether you're reading or watching these. I'd say either one is a bit on the fluffy but fun side.

Fluffy.. good word. I think the books are more fluffy than the series (not counting last season which stunk). The only thing that made last season worthwhile was "If you want her you have to go through me bloodsucker" :mrgreen:

I started rereading The Mystery of Ireta by Anne McCaffrey (a double book of Dinosaur Planet and Dinosaur Planet Survivors).

I'm still only half way through Water For Elephants. It's good, but not my usual kind of book.

I started rereading The Mystery of Ireta by Anne McCaffrey (a double book of Dinosaur Planet and Dinosaur Planet Survivors).

I'm still only half way through Water For Elephants. It's good, but not my usual kind of book.

I tried Water For Elephants and just couldn't get into the story...I guess there weren't enough spaceships in the story:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: Shrek loved the book.

Back
Top Bottom