Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elizabeth George

And the word you need is "pidgin." Pidgin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After living in Hawaii for years, you'd think I'd remember that. Since you looked it up you know that, at least in Hawaii, pidgin has nothing to do with the bird, but is what some person in some country heard when an English-speaking person said, business. So it became a bastardized mix of English and whatever language was local to combine to form a language that locals and English speakers could use to conduct business. In Hawaii, you'll find Portuguese, Spanish, English, Hawaiian and other Polynesian languages, Tagalog, ... well, I could go on ... in the pidgin as well as the food.

How could I forget Elizabeth George! Also Laura Joh Rowland (Samurai era, late 1600s)

Am nibbling my way through Margaret Atwood's The Edible Woman. A morsel: "...on a table-top pebbled with crumbs lay the remnants of her breakfast -- a limp starfish of a banana peel..."

Also, a very strange book by Eric Garcia, Anonymous Rex, a detective story in which the protagonist is a velociraptor required to masquerade as a human, as are all the other dinosaurs - a highly inventive tale.

Thanks for the idea, I ordered a used copy of Anonymous Rex. It sounds hilarious.

What kind of story is The Edible Woman?

Thanks for the idea, I ordered a used copy of Anonymous Rex. It sounds hilarious.

What kind of story is The Edible Woman?

I hope you like A Rex. I'm happy that PF says there are more of them and hope my library has others.

Edible Woman: Marian, the main character, is a single woman working for a market research outfit. So far, at about halfway through, the reason for the title eludes me. I'm not sure there's a real destination to be reached, but the journey takes many side trips for observations by/from The Human in thought mode, with all its vagaries and oddments. So, what kind of story is it? Hard to say....but I like it a lot.

Currently reading (or rather, "listening to" - it's on audiobook) "Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human" by Richard Wrangham.

The entire premise of the book is that cooking and the use of fire was the primary impetus behind our evolution into intelligent creatures. I'm not sure I agree with all of the points the author makes, but it's an interesting theory... and a pretty good read.

The entire premise of the book is that cooking and the use of fire was the primary impetus behind our evolution into intelligent creatures. I'm not sure I agree with all of the points the author makes, but it's an interesting theory... and a pretty good read.

I've heard this theory too and I think learning to control and use fire had a lot to do with man's evolution into intelligent creatures, although many other factors played a part too.

Just finished Patrick Lee's books The Breach, Ghost Country, and Deep Sky - very enjoyable trilogy. They are fast-paced thrillers with a sci-fi bent.

Reading Michael Connelly's The Drop now.

Has anyone here read "Death Comes to Pemberley"?

Just finished Patrick Lee's books The Breach, Ghost Country, and Deep Sky - very enjoyable trilogy. They are fast-paced thrillers with a sci-fi bent.

Thanks for the comments. These look like something I would definitely like. I added them to my list of books to try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom for the second or third time. It had been years since I last read it. I'm currently working my way through "War Horse" and on the the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. I forget which one I'm on now. There are 19 in the series and this one is around 15 or 16.

Just finished "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom for the second or third time. It had been years since I last read it. I'm currently working my way through "War Horse" and on the the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. I forget which one I'm on now. There are 19 in the series and this one is around 15 or 16.

Another book by Corrie ten Boom is In My Fathers House. It covers her early years.

I am now reading The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. Another fantasy Novel for me. About a young boy who works for a theives guild who wants to escape that life and the only way he thinks he can is to become an Assassins Apprentice. I like when they make the Protagonist a somewhat less then respectable character. It makes for a good story.

Its pretty good so far.

Last edited:
I'm reading David Lodge's book, "The Art of Fiction." I know, not a book most people would read. It is more or less a literary analysis of different techniques writers use bring characters, etc., to life. Interesting read, but not a novel.

Well, I managed to get through Amitav Ghosh's Sea of Poppies. It was one of those time when I wanted to thunk myself on the head when I realized I thought I had another couple of chapters and the last was a glossary of the pidgen, Hindustani and other languages and jargon in the book. Would have made it much easier if I'd started from the back! But, even with that help, it seemed not to really have an end. I can only assume Ghosh is planning on sequels?

I'm giving up on one, and I don't do that often, The Stranger's Child by Alan Hollinghurst. Anyone read this one? Is there any reason to read pages 151 - 435?

I love Clive Cussler! Enjoy!

I love Cussler, when I want to read something light, I pick him up. I start on one end of the shelf and read to the other end. I also like his Kurt Austin stories and Numa Files with Juan Cabrillo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom