Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not a fan of the kindle yet. Most of what I read is at least forty years old. By the time I catch up I will probably go to audio books!

I am working on two books now. A reread or visit to Celestine Sibley's book a Place called Sweet Apple. A story of country living and southern recipes.

The second is Margaret Hard's book A memory of Vermont, our life in the Johnny Appleseed Bookshop.

I am not a fan of the kindle yet. Most of what I read is at least forty years old. By the time I catch up I will probably go to audio books!

I am working on two books now. A reread or visit to Celestine Sibley's book a Place called Sweet Apple. A story of country living and southern recipes.

The second is Margaret Hard's book A memory of Vermont, our life in the Johnny Appleseed Bookshop.

Nice to hear someone's reading Celestine Sibley. Her book, Turned Funny, is fun if you can find it - my local library doesn't have it. I found her books when I lived in Atlanta, GA. What a salt-of-the-Earth person she was.

Nice to hear someone's reading Celestine Sibley. Her book, Turned Funny, is fun if you can find it - my local library doesn't have it. I found her books when I lived in Atlanta, GA. What a salt-of-the-Earth person she was.

If you like Celestine Sibley you might like Gladys Taber. Also Cross Creek country cooking by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. I like these regional books, the people become like old friends.

Jus realized that the auther that im reading now confines to write about the charters in more series looks like im going go be getting all the books lil at a time

Just finished the first two books in the series by Alan bradley, "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie", and "The weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag", featuring an eleven year old "genius" girl in 1950 who solves mysteries. Worth checking out IMO. Also "once a Spy" by Keith Thomson, a fun, page-turner, best seller by a first-time novelist.

Last edited:
If you like Celestine Sibley you might like Gladys Taber. Also Cross Creek country cooking by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. I like these regional books, the people become like old friends.

Thanks, Aunt Bea. Have you ever read any of the Elm Creek Quilters series? You might like them, as well. :)

So I won't give you any spoilers...I love the Pern books.:wub:

Can't spoil 'em since I've read them all before.:LOL: I'm just building my library of old favorites. Fortunately, It's been so long they are just like new. Unfortunately, you just can't take time to savor them as they are impossible to put down for more than a few minutes at a time.

Can't spoil 'em since I've read them all before.:LOL: I'm just building my library of old favorites. Fortunately, It's been so long they are just like new. Unfortunately, you just can't take time to savor them as they are impossible to put down for more than a few minutes at a time.

I started out with the Harper stories when they were first published in the 70's...they are still a favorite.

just purchased a nook - off the hook!! ($99 - refurbished - b&n thru ebay) pros: a bonanza of older and classic type books are freebies !! plenty of other cheap reads too !! great for multi-book jugglers like me - you can switch books instantly, much like channel-surfing !! i'm like a kid in a candy store with the free sample ebooks - saves $$ if you're not keen on the sample !! love the convenience of the free and easy portability !! cons: impulse control has never been a strong point with me (watch your first week or two of hair-trigger purchases with strict diligence) !! a sample ebook can act like a double edged sword - just say no to the superficial hook - remember, you can sample endLESSly for free !! the pages do not have their own source of light (no backlighting) !! $99 is still $$ !! it's not a kindle !!

Just jumping back to the Kindle chat for a moment. I currently have well over 100 books on my Kindle. If you look carefully and search on your computer rather than on the Kindle itself you can access a whole lot of free books. The freebies change from time to time so you need to keep checking. I also have bought a crapload of 99 cent books.

IMHO its not outrageous to spend $6 - $9 for a book that would currently be in paperback.

The $114 ad Kindle only shows ads when it goes to sleep. You don't get interrupted with ads or anything like that. Its WELL worth the money. And you will not stop reading DTBs either. I still get stuff from the library and the used book store. I just don't have a shoulder dent from the weight of the books in my purse anymore.

In case any of you are interested, at the bottom of this page (and every page) there are links to the other Social Knowledge forums. One of those is Book and Reader. I recently joined over there and I'm loving the book chat. Come on over, lets have a DC invasion!

Just jumping back to the Kindle chat for a moment. I currently have well over 100 books on my Kindle. If you look carefully and search on your computer rather than on the Kindle itself you can access a whole lot of free books. The freebies change from time to time so you need to keep checking. I also have bought a crapload of 99 cent books.

IMHO its not outrageous to spend $6 - $9 for a book that would currently be in paperback.

The $114 ad Kindle only shows ads when it goes to sleep. You don't get interrupted with ads or anything like that. Its WELL worth the money. And you will not stop reading DTBs either. I still get stuff from the library and the used book store. I just don't have a shoulder dent from the weight of the books in my purse anymore.

In case any of you are interested, at the bottom of this page (and every page) there are links to the other Social Knowledge forums. One of those is Book and Reader. I recently joined over there and I'm loving the book chat. Come on over, lets have a DC invasion!

I'm busy registering...think they'll think I'm a Spammer...:ROFLMAO:

this enormously popular thread has been pulling in members of dc like "moths to a flame" :) for more than six years already. i hope it can continue. since i'm still new, i'm unfamiliar with what happens when the last page of a thread is filled. i would like to be able to continue checking in on what books folks are into, and share my latest. what now?

Back
Top Bottom