Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm happily, busily making a reading list for myself from the authors and books you guys are recommending. here's a news flash for ebook readers: amazon has an offering of some 600 book titles from 99c--$2.99 for "summer readers". here's some authors that caught my eye: pat conroy, andre dubus, william styron, alan d. foster, ian fleming, jack higgins, robert b. parker, kurt vonnegut, to name just a few...good stuff, huh?

Mighty good list. How about some women as well: Margaret Atwood, Barbara Kingsolver, Angela Carter, A. S. Byatt, E. Annie Proulx, Patricia Highsmith....a little Sue Grafton or M. C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin for dessert.

Clara's War, another Holocaust book

this is a very powerful book!! it is written by the clara in the title. i am about half way through and they have been in an under ground bunker for over a year. eighteen people. the people that live upstairs are protecting them. they are polish christians. they all live in poland. this is a first person account of life with the s.s. and Nazi solders. i would recommend this book highly, to see a true picture of the jewish solution.

here's a quickie request - i'm about to mail out books to my grandkids and i'm not real up on current youth books. i've got the boys covered, but the girls, what to do, what to do? ages 15 and 11, and i refuse to be part of anything to do with twilight or vampires. i know i liked judy blume - is there anything comparable today? oh, and the 11 year old is more of a doer than a reader. something about animals, a book to spark her interest in reading for pleasure?

Well, I did it. I had a Kindle in my wish list along with a couple crocks (for the French onion soup I intend to make), but I needed a toner cartridge so visited Amazon... and we all know how that goes, lol.
I will be a Kindling fool before long, or would that be kindred spirit...

here's a quickie request - i'm about to mail out books to my grandkids and i'm not real up on current youth books. i've got the boys covered, but the girls, what to do, what to do? ages 15 and 11, and i refuse to be part of anything to do with twilight or vampires. i know i liked judy blume - is there anything comparable today? oh, and the 11 year old is more of a doer than a reader. something about animals, a book to spark her interest in reading for pleasure?

For the 11 year old, see if there is a fiction book for her age group that is about a veterinarian and her taking care of animals.

Well, I did it. I had a Kindle in my wish list along with a couple crocks (for the French onion soup I intend to make), but I needed a toner cartridge so visited Amazon... and we all know how that goes, lol.

Ah, you are going to love it!

From your grandgirls' description, I'd highly recommend the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It's not current, but it is a timeless adventure fantasy about heroic animal communities and individuals, be they a mouse.

Last edited:
In Junior High School, I had the opportunity to work in the library during my free period. The librarian asked me what I was most interested in and I told her horses. She gave me a book, "Frog, The Horse Who Knew No Master" and I've been an avid reader ever since.

From your grandgirls' description, I'd highly recommend the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It's not current, but it is a timeless adventure fantasy about heroic animal communities and individuals, be they a mouse.

Redwall...great suggestion!

For the 15-yr old, I'd recommend downloading the unofficial biography of Justin Bieber for a grandkid hug next week, or "Sophie's World" for an amusing introduction to philosophical thought that won't pay Gramps back with a grateful hug until sophomore year of college.

Pac, ack, don't download that!

YAY! If you need tips or hints on getting to the freebies and cheapies PM me. I'm all over it.

May I suggest Louise Rennison? Her site. My daughters are 17 and 15 and lough out loud reading her series. Are you against Harry Potter? How about Artemis Fowl? The YRCA list (Young Readers Choice Awards) has excellent books on it. There is a new list every year, and I have not been disappointed with the books on there very often. The books are broken down by age category so that might help you out too. Ok, done now...sorry! I'm a bit passionate about books, can you tell?

Right now I just finished Living with the Dead, by Kelley Armstrong and I picked up Face Changers by Thomas Perry. I have Odd Thomas waiting for me, and on the Kindle I'm reading a Donovan Creed novel.

I picked up three new paperbacks yesterday for when (if?) I finish Tom Clancy's Dead or Alive: The Bourne Objective, the latest Eric Van Lustbader edition of Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne novels; Clive Cussler's The Spy; and James Patterson's Just Cause.

Last edited:
Which version did you get? And you won't be sorry, they have EXCELLENT customer service (did I tell you my tales of woe...I'm on my 3rd Kindle since Feb) and shipping is FAST.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Alix. I see several DCers there. Joined and posted. I like the "where are you" thread.

Back
Top Bottom