Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PattY1 said:
Any Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich) fans here? Judging by the movie trailer the movie made from "One For The Money" is (IMHO) is going to bomb. They cast all the wrong people for it. What do you think?

One for the Money Trailer 2012 HD - YouTube

I haven't read the book but the movie looks like a chick flick trying to be something guys would like. I'll pass until it comes out on video and my sis-in-law decides it's "such a cute movie" and makes me watch it.

In the Kitchen said:
babetoo: Six? Wow isn't that some kind of record? Must have really caught your interest. I just have to keep checking this thread, is that what they call it, to see what others are enjoying. As I said, two days for this book I thought was pretty good, anyway for me!

In high school I used to read 3-4 books every week. I ended up re-reading a lot of books. I forced myself to slow down my reading and read every word. I found nor only did the book last longer but if it was well written I enjoy it a lot more. I can still kill roughly 1000 pages in a day if I need/want to and don't have much else to do. Most of the time though, I can only spend an hour or two reading before I start to feel restless. I have a few friends that are fast readers and they can kill roughly 1000 pages in an evening, like, 4 or 5 hours. I've never been that quick.

I read mostly sci-fi/fantasy with the occasional something else thrown in. Lately I've had trouble finding stuff that can keep my interest. But then, I've also been sticking to stuff I can get for free on my kindle app for my phone so that might be part of it.

Currently trying to read "The Picture of Dorian Grey" but 4 chapters in I'm finding that nothing has happened, the characters aren't particularly interesting or well developed and the whole thing feals extremely tedious. Thinking about giving up on it. I'm seriously craving something that moves, and in a direction, instead of something that just putters about aimlessly.

I'm currently reading (again) Where Is Joe Merchant by Jimmy Buffett.

I found a used paperback of The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest for about $8 (Abe Books). I'm excited! It'll probably take about 10-14 days to arrive, but at least it's on it's way.

I loved that book. I lent it to a co-worker years ago and left the job before I got the book back. I think I will go download a copy now.

I was disappointed that he didn't write more of these books. He's very, very talented. I was delighted with this one enough that I like to read it every few years. Not many books get on that list!

I was so impressed with his writing Zhizara. This book came out when I was in my Jimmy Buffet phase and I read it just because I loved him. I was surprised at how good it really was.

i can think of few people i'd rather spend a sunday afternoon with than jimmy buffett. his simple, homespun wisdom always has such a calming effect on me. jimmy finally got his head screwed on straight after banging around a bit, and like the free air we breathe, jimmy wanted to share his good fortune with his friends of the world. what he has to offer is direction from his inner compass to those ever important attitudes and latitudes in life. jimmy is a gentle and generous free spirited guide....

Last edited:
Buffett

GB: Hello, remember me? Guess I have scared everybody away with my stories.

About Jimmy Buffett, Where is Joe Merchant? How do you download it? Do you have it on some kind of computer document or something? Since I know how computer savvy you are, I would appreciate you telling me how you do it? The library doesn't have the book. Will I have to go to bookstore for it?

Thanks

Has anyone here read the Twilight Saga stories? Yeah, those are the ones I mean, lol.
I absolutely love werewolf/vampire/human interaction type stories, but man... the sappiness of the movies, coupled with this teenage angst love/crush thing from a female lead who acts (I say hesitantly) in monotone, that's some pretty tough stuff to get through just for a couple good story lines.
I saw the third one yesterday and it had some parts that I'm hoping last longer in the book without being wrapped around in the bad parts as much. I'm hoping this is just the case of a movie not doing the book justice... to the tenth degree.
So do the books provide an entertaining story for more than adolescents? Without all the muck, I think there's a good story in there somewhere, but maybe not.

pacanis said:
Has anyone here read the Twilight Saga stories? Yeah, those are the ones I mean, lol.
I absolutely love werewolf/vampire/human interaction type stories, but man... the sappiness of the movies, coupled with this teenage angst love/crush thing from a female lead who acts (I say hesitantly) in monotone, that's some pretty tough stuff to get through just for a couple good story lines.
I saw the third one yesterday and it had some parts that I'm hoping last longer in the book without being wrapped around in the bad parts as much. I'm hoping this is just the case of a movie not doing the book justice... to the tenth degree.
So do the books provide an entertaining story for more than adolescents? Without all the muck, I think there's a good story in there somewhere, but maybe not.

My sister liked them but warned me that I likely wouldn't. She said there is a fair amount of teen drama type stuff but that they are still better than the movies. I have another friend who liked the books but admits she only went to the movies to watch the shirtles native boys. From what I gather based on their descriptions, the books have some good ideas and interesting mythology but still more angsty teen stuff than most guys (and some of us girls) would want to wade through. Shoot Sprout a pm though if you're interested. I'm sure she'd be willing to give some feedback.

Bummer.
They've got a pretty good story line going with the vampires trying to co-exist with the werewolves in a modern day setting, but I guess their real story line is the teen angst fluff with the vampire mythology thrown in as the dressing. Too bad.

Harlequin Romance of vampire stories... no wonder the movies stink for the most part. It's bad enough I have to see Fabio doing deodorant commercials, lol.

Thanks for the answers, Ladies. I won't waste my time with the books. I was hoping someone would say they were drastically different.

Bummer.
They've got a pretty good story line going with the vampires trying to co-exist with the werewolves in a modern day setting, but I guess their real story line is the teen angst fluff with the vampire mythology thrown in as the dressing. Too bad.

Harlequin Romance of vampire stories... no wonder the movies stink for the most part. It's bad enough I have to see Fabio doing deodorant commercials, lol.

Thanks for the answers, Ladies. I won't waste my time with the books. I was hoping someone would say they were drastically different.

Waaaay too fluffy for me, too. But, Fred, if you would like to venture into another "other world" kind of story where unusual creatures are thrust into our world, you might check our the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. I was captivated by the first book and nearly ate the rest and I'm hungry for him to write more.

One of the things I appreciate about this batch of Patterson's writings is that he paints wonderful pictures in my head as I read, which I view as good writing.

Check into them. You might be pleasantly surprised and...hooked.

if i want to know what my grandkids are into, and i do, i have to read some of their stephanie meyer and their rick riordan. and i'm telling you, rick riordan and his percy jackson series is waayy easier to take than meyer's twilight saga. no vampires in the lightning thief, for instance, but plenty of mythology, greek gods in various forms, fast paced, and a riveting read. stephanie meyer cannot write. period. her books are painful to read--i had to stop after two. i haven't seen any of the twilight movies, but i would venture to guess that the movies are actually far better than the books on which they are based. if you like vampire/human interaction pac, could you be enticed to read a real master in this genre for once--anne rice? just for starters check out her 'tale of the body snatchers'....plus, you will be lured into a sensuous, atmospheric, love affair with new orleans that lingers enchantingly, like fairy dust....

"but i would venture to guess that the movies are actually far better than the books on which they are based."

Holy cow... if the movies are likely better than the books, that is really not saying a whole lot for her writing. I had been hoping the screenwriter stank.

pacanis, if you like the paranormal stuff with a dollop of mythology tossed in you might like Patricia Briggs stuff. Look for the Mercy Thompson series. Well done and very entertaining. She has a couple of related books that carry on the dynamic with different characters.

My current favorite Otherworldly writer is Kelley Armstrong. She has written both juvenile and adult fiction. Her stories are fast paced and certainly grabbed my attention.

While I did enjoy the Twilight series, I agree that it's probably not what you're looking for. It's a fun, entertaining read, but it's written from the perspective of a teenage girl. Meyer is not a great writer, she just had an entertaining story to tell. I thought the books were much, much better than the movies, but the movies are pretty similar in ratio of action/mythology to teen drama. I wouldn't compare them to Harlequin, since they aren't smutty, but they are definitely fluffy.

It's funny, of all the inconsistencies & errors in the series, only one part actually really bothered me. A characer who was supposed to be an amazing musician, with heightened senses, whose is presented as a musical connoisseur, says that the music of the 50s and 80s was better than that of the 60s and 70s. I'm not saying I don't love me some good 80s hits, but it's definitely not where I look for quality musical composition!

Back
Top Bottom