Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just started re-reading the whole Rowan series by Anne McCaffrey. I love it when it's been long enough for the story to be like new again. First book: The Rowan.

I had forgotten this series until I reached the last page of Crisis At Doona and there was a page for ordering The Rowan. It reminded me that the series is all about telepathy and other paranormal powers, so I googled and got the complete list of the Rowan books and went to my trusty Abe Used Books and ordered them all (5 books), plus The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Not a bad haul for $18.

I was expecting at least one book when I checked the mail yesterday, but actually had 4 paperbacks and my new Magic Jack in my mailbox. Now I have to go to WalMart and get a phone. (and bread, and ...

Wow, great haul, Z and Moties, too! You will be enjoying that. Have you read "Lucifer's Hammer" by Niven and Pournelle? Great read!

Wow, great haul, Z and Moties, too! You will be enjoying that. Have you read "Lucifer's Hammer" by Niven and Pournelle? Great read!

Yep! Thanks for reminding me. I meant to order it this last time. I keep forgetting I don't have to make up a whole order for Abe Books, since they work for various book sellers and each has it's own shipping.

I'm loving The Rowan. I even put aside a brand new Patricia Cornwell - Port Mortuary to read it. I'm a sucker for Anne McCaffrey. Telepathy over murder mysteries any day.

The Rowan? I've never heard of that one and I've read most of McCaffrey's stuff. I'm going to look it up.

I'm currently reading "Hail Mary" by JR Rain. The third Knighthorse mystery. Its a bit Spenserish and I'm loving it.

I ran out of books, so I am catching up on my food magazines. I've finished the November Cooking Light, the December editions of Food & Wine and Healthy Cooking, and I just started my December Cooking Light.

The Rowan? I've never heard of that one and I've read most of McCaffrey's stuff. I'm going to look it up.

I'm currently reading "Hail Mary" by JR Rain. The third Knighthorse mystery. Its a bit Spenserish and I'm loving it.

The Rowan precedes Damia, followed by Damia's Children, Lyon's Pride, and The Tower And The Hive

Currently reading The Demon Queen and The Locksmith on the Kindle app for my phone. Its description wasn't what I'd expect based on the title but it still tiea into the story. So far I'm really liking it. It's kind of a fantasy/mystery/surrealist story. There are parts that feel like a dream, altough most of it feels pretty realistic. If it continues to be as good as it's been and it finishes well, this will be on my list of books to recommend to others.

9 Dragons, by Micheal Connelly, very good, I love the Harry Bosch stories. His daughter has just been kidnapped in Honk Kong, he's getting ready to head there to find her.

I just picked up a copy of James Patterson's Toys. It looked interesting, but about 6 chapters in I realized it's a science fiction story. I am not crazy about science fiction.

I am on SUCH a good roll with books lately. Recently read:
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
11/22/63 by Stephen King
Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candace Millard
All three VERY different and all three excellent!

Finished reading The Demon Queen and the Locksmith by Spencer Baum. Not at all what I was expecting and I love it for that. The tone of the book was somewhere between a classic mystery novel, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and a dream. The subject of the book was part comic book, part japanese "attack of the mutant such and such", part old mystery radio show, and part folk tales of the New Mexico dessert, only done in a way that's not nearly as cheesey as that makes it sound.

The writing was good and the story was well paced. I was able to predict some things but there were twists I didn't see coming, which is rare to find in a book anymore. The characters could have been a tiny bit more developed but definitely weren't two dimensional and were fairly easy to relate to. They were also quirky, a little weird, but believably so. I believe it was self published, so no editor, but there were only two mistakes that I remember, both along the lines of doubling up on a word. The author was refreshingly proficient with the rules of grammer.

Overall it was an extremely enjoyable read and it was free for the kindle app. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes non magic based fantasy, fantasy set in modern times, old mystery radiow shows and crazy conspiracy theories about aliens, mutents, government coverups of giant mutant animals, etc. Or even just to someone looking for something a little different.

Next on the list is The Labrynth, by Kenneth McDonald.

Just finished "Salt: A World History" by Mark Kurlansky, and am about to start "Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World" by the same author.

If you haven't read the "Salt" book, it's a good one. You'll never look at salt the same way again.

Just finished "Salt: A World History" by Mark Kurlansky, and am about to start "Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World" by the same author.

If you haven't read the "Salt" book, it's a good one. You'll never look at salt the same way again.

He is an interesting guy!

If you have not read it already try Food of a Younger Land.

That was the book that started my love affair with Salt...drives Shrek nuts when I can tell him where and how that salt he just ate was showing up on his food.

didya know, bradbury's fahrenheit 451 is now available as an ebook! as a rule, i don't do a lot of rereads, but fahrenheit is one i look forward to reading again. wonder if there will be a dated feel to it....

Back
Top Bottom