Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Sharon for your feedback. I'll look into her other novels soon. I think she really found a fine mix of SF and historic fiction with her Blackout and All Clear!

Currently I am really enjoying A Cavern of Black Ice by J.V. Jones (fantasy). It was rough going for about the first hundred pages but now I'm totally into it, and I'm pleased it's just the first in a trilogy.

I've been meaning to read these... I really enjoyed Connie Willis' "Doomsday Book." She also wrote the hilarious "To Say Nothing of the Dog." Anyone who enjoyed Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat" will love that one.

I will read anything by Connie Willis. Her books are always a joy.

Yesterday finished Grizzly by Christine Andreae - a nice mix of Montana scenery, gourmet menus for visiting Japanese businessmen, deceased bears, and a little Blackfoot Indian, too.

Coming up this afternoon is Douglas Adams' The Salmon of Doubt. Well, sure - bears & salmon go together. Maybe not these bears or that salmon, but.....:ermm:

Just finished "Term Limits" by Vince Flynn. Lots of action in this political thriller that exposes widespread corruption all the way to the top. I give it a 7 of 10. The dialog gets a little slow in a few places.

I'm starting Tom Clancy's "Rainbow Six" today.

Hahahaha! You are NEVER going to retain any of that physics stuff then. I applaud you for finding a sure fire insomnia cure though. ;) Be careful to let the book fall AWAY from your forehead!

Thanks to GourmetGreg I found that I had missed not just one but the last two Jane Auel Earth's Children novels.

I put my Generation Warriors by Anne McCaffrey on hold when I got the Shelters of Stone yesterday. The Painted Caves is on order and should be here by the time I finish.

Hahahaha! You are NEVER going to retain any of that physics stuff then. I applaud you for finding a sure fire insomnia cure though. ;) Be careful to let the book fall AWAY from your forehead!

The reason I take my time reading text books is that I do have near perfect retention. It might take me two years to finish this one, but when I'm finished, I'll know everything covered in the book.

I don't read any further than I can clearly comprehend and retain what I read. In some books I've studied, that was about a paragraph. This one may be that difficult.

It's pointless to read something and not understand it perfectly. I keep cross-referencing it until I DO understand it totally. That's the advantage to learning at my own speed. I'm not rushed by a formal classroom's timings.

It's pointless to read something and not understand it perfectly. I keep cross-referencing it until I DO understand it totally. That's the advantage to learning at my own speed. I'm not rushed by a formal classroom's timings.

Really? Pointless to read and not understand it perfectly? I can't decide which reaction is the strongest. 1. Sad - because reading is a joyful thing, and you can never truly understand everything perfectly. Folks glean different things from the written word, I've seen many a book club debate, or classroom debate because of it. 2. Incredulity.

The reason I take my time reading text books is that I do have near perfect retention. It might take me two years to finish this one, but when I'm finished, I'll know everything covered in the book.

I love historical novels. And sometimes there are maps and family trees in the beginning of the book. I often have to keep stopping and going back to the map or family trees to keep track of the action and characters. If no maps or trees, I will go back to where the character was introduced so I can get it fixed in my head.

One year I was determined to start with William the Conqueror and follow the Royal families of England through ERII. So much confusion for my brain. But I can pretty much answer any Jeopardy question now regarding the Royal Family of the UK. Oh it took me more than a year to get it all straight. I wonder if Lizzie II can say that? ;)

Really? Pointless to read and not understand it perfectly? I can't decide which reaction is the strongest. 1. Sad - because reading is a joyful thing, and you can never truly understand everything perfectly. Folks glean different things from the written word, I've seen many a book club debate, or classroom debate because of it. 2. Incredulity.

1. Reading a text book isn't something I look at like reading for fun. I do it to learn a specific subject. I read, re-read and re-read until I do understand what I'm reading. Yes, I think it would be a pointless effort to read a text book and not understand the information completely when finished.

2. (Incredulity) I can't help you with that. It really matters little to me if you believe it or not.

I finally found a Robert Crais I can't get into...it may be just the subject matter or I'm just not ready for it. My attention span has become much shorter, I'm blaming it on hormones ('cause I can). So, I will be switching to a new Dean Koontz - 77 Shadow Street.

By the way, thanks, Timothy for posting about the physics book.

In my high school SAT tests, I scored highest in physics, which I've never studies, and have always wanted to get a good textbook. Even if I only read at bedtime, I think I'll get a lot out of it. I also think bedtime reading would be an excellent time to "sleep on it" and absorb it better, in my opinion.

Just bought the text book; "Physics" by Jay Orear of Cornell University.

I've wanted to study Physics since I was much younger. The subject fascinates me and I've always wanted to know much more than casual reading will provide me.

This book was suggested by many past Physics students as the best of the best of first year Physics studies.

I think I'm gonna hurt my head!:wacko::blink::bangin::LOL:
Have you ever checked out the town Casadaga in florida?

Thanks to GourmetGreg I found that I had missed not just one but the last two Jane Auel Earth's Children novels.

I put my Generation Warriors by Anne McCaffrey on hold when I got the Shelters of Stone yesterday. The Painted Caves is on order and should be here by the time I finish.

You're welcome! Ms. Auel caught me off guard, I was almost startled when I saw that Painted Caves had been published. Her previous book was about 7 years earlier and I had finally given up and assumed she had retired.

I'm sure fans who have enjoyed the first 4-5 in the series will enjoy the final volume. How could any of her fans resist the final installment? :)

I finally found a Robert Crais I can't get into...it may be just the subject matter or I'm just not ready for it. My attention span has become much shorter, I'm blaming it on hormones ('cause I can). So, I will be switching to a new Dean Koontz - 77 Shadow Street.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like your Crais novel. Was it Taken? As we've discussed Crais is one of both yours and my favorite authors and I'm very much looking forward to reading it. (I'm on a wait list at my public library.)

I hope Koontz will do it for you. I've read a few of his and they're mind boggling!

Last edited:
You're welcome! Ms. Auel caught me off guard, I was almost startled when I saw that Painted Caves had been published. Her previous book was about 7 years earlier and I had finally given up and assumed she had retired.

I'm sure fans who have enjoyed the first 4-5 in the series will enjoy the final volume. How could any of her fans resist the final installment? :)

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like your Crais novel. Was it Taken? As we've discussed Crais is one of both yours and my favorite authors and I'm very much looking forward to reading it. (I'm on a wait list at my public library.)

I hope Koontz will do it for you. I've read a few of his and they're mind boggling!

Yes, Taken. I don't think it's a matter of not liking it, just not what I'm in the mood for. That's okay, I'll let Shrek read it first. Love Koontz, another long time favorite author.

Back
Top Bottom