Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anybody read 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami?

11-9list2_full_300.jpg

“Murakami is like a magician who explains what he’s doing as he performs the trick and still makes you believe he has supernatural powers . . . But while anyone can tell a story that resembles a dream, it's the rare artist, like this one, who can make us feel that we are dreaming it ourselves.” —The New York Times Book Review

The year is 1984 and the city is Tokyo.

A young woman named Aomame follows a taxi driver’s enigmatic suggestion and begins to notice puzzling discrepancies in the world around her. She has entered, she realizes, a parallel existence, which she calls 1Q84 —“Q is for ‘question mark.’ A world that bears a question.” Meanwhile, an aspiring writer named Tengo takes on a suspect ghostwriting project. He becomes so wrapped up with the work and its unusual author that, soon, his previously placid life begins to come unraveled.

As Aomame’s and Tengo’s narratives converge over the course of this single year, we learn of the profound and tangled connections that bind them ever closer: a beautiful, dyslexic teenage girl with a unique vision; a mysterious religious cult that instigated a shoot-out with the metropolitan police; a reclusive, wealthy dowager who runs a shelter for abused women; a hideously ugly private investigator; a mild-mannered yet ruthlessly efficient bodyguard; and a peculiarly insistent television-fee collector.

A love story, a mystery, a fantasy, a novel of self-discovery, a dystopia to rival George Orwell’s—1Q84 is Haruki Murakami’s most ambitious undertaking yet: an instant best seller in his native Japan, and a tremendous feat of imagination from one of our most revered contemporary writers.

source: Amazon.com

I'm on the public library reserve list and hoping to read it soon. Our library purchased almost 80 copies so it must very popular. It looks like I'll have to wait about 2 months to read it. (I'm about #230 for 80 copies at three weeks until you have to return it. Maybe sooner if everybody reads them quickly then returns them so others can have at them.)

I finished the Patrick Lee trilogy. Excellent sci-fi reading, I was sorry it ended; it was hard to put down.

I'm starting Greg Iles Footprints of God.

I just finished In God's Footsteps by Greg Iles. I also ordered and received a couple more by him: The Quiet Game and True Evil.

But first, I'm reading Titan by John Varley. I received both Titan and Wizard. Demon has been shipped and should arrive today. I'm going to enjoy this series. Thanks, SharonT!

I am just finishing up A Cape Cod Journal by Erma J. Fisk.

Erma was an interesting person. She wrote a couple of books about her life and her work tracking various kinds of birds in Arizona and Costa Rica. The Journal talks about the last few years of her life on Cape Cod.

Just starting up The Return by Buzz Aldrin and John Barnes. It is Science Fiction, but with Mr. Aldrin's knowledge of space should be a good read.

I just finished In God's Footsteps by Greg Iles. I also ordered and received a couple more by him: The Quiet Game and True Evil.

But first, I'm reading Titan by John Varley. I received both Titan and Wizard. Demon has been shipped and should arrive today. I'm going to enjoy this series. Thanks, SharonT!
You're welcome :)
Next science fiction up for me has to be "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. My daughter read that and asks me every day if I've started it yet. She says it's amazing.
I have one Greg Iles book on my shelves that I need to pick up again - I couldn't get into first time: "The Devil's Punchbowl" Anybody read that?

To Kill A Mockingbird

I'm currently reading, for the first time, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1960) by Harper Lee.

I've seen the movie many times and really enjoy it. I decided to give the book a try and it is great reading.

This is the author's only published book.

I'm currently reading, for the first time, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1960) by Harper Lee.

I've seen the movie many times and really enjoy it. I decided to give the book a try and it is great reading.

This is the author's only published book.

Our local PBS stations are currently an "American Masters" and Harper Lee is the subject. It was really interesting. The other one they are running is on Margaret Mitchell. "Gone With The Wind"" She was one rebel by Southern standards. No "Belle of the Ball" for her. :)

It's shocking to discover that they wrote good books even back in the middle of the last century! ;)

I'm ready to start A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, just got my hands on a copy today.

Next science fiction up for me has to be "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. My daughter read that and asks me every day if I've started it yet. She says it's amazing.
I have one Greg Iles book on my shelves that I need to pick up again - I couldn't get into first time: "The Devil's Punchbowl" Anybody read that?

Yes! It was a slow starter, but really picked up. It was a great story!

Has anyone ever read " Screwtape letters" by C.S. Lewis? They are starting a book club at our group at church & this book was suggested.

I did. It's a little of a hard read, but good. He's not all about SF. In God's Footsteps was just a little slow starting, but got moving quicklly and I couldn't put it down. More like SF. Great thought provoking subject.

Has anyone ever read " Screwtape letters" by C.S. Lewis? They are starting a book club at our group at church & this book was suggested.

I've read part of it. It's a quite interesting concept. I was about halfway through when life threw me a curve and I stopped reading for a while as I dealt with some life and death family issues. I never got back to finish it but I enjoyed what I read. It will make for some animated discussions for sure!

Lorenza de´Medici´s The Renaissance of Italian Cooking

A culinary book of note, is a treasure and I have been skimming the contents ...

Though it is not a new edition, it is a coffee table treasure with lots of photos.

Nice post.
Margi.

I went looking for a recipe and pulled out my copy of The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham, I had forgotten what a great little book it is and now I find myself reading it again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom