Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love reading cook books. When I had to severely downsize, I had to get rid of all my cookbooks. My favorite recipes are now in my computer. My heart broke when I had to get rid of my signed copy of "Baking With Julia". It was quite by accident that I bumped into her right after I bought the book at Borders. I was sitting outside on one of the benches and got up and started to walk while I was reading the book. Not watching where I was going, I bumped right into her. She saw me reading her new book and offered to sign it right there for me. I treasured that book. Every so often I would take it off the book shelf and look at her signature before I would start to read it again. I have made the Gale Gand 'Different Lemon Meringue'. And I picked up some bread making tips from the owners of "When Pigs Fly' bakery here in Massachusetts. :chef:

Oh Addie, I would be in tears giving up something like that.

Believe me I was. When I was cleaning out the bookcase, I just hugged and hugged that book before I could put it in the box. I am welling up just thinking about it. Whoever ended up with it can say they have a first edition with her signature in it. :(

Last edited:
I've begun A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, and it's really good but I'm finding that the complexity makes for really slow reading. I'll be lucky to finish this book before it's due back at the library (3 weeks) unless I go into overtime and pay the fines (probably worth it). I'm pleased that I already know I'll enjoy this novel and the sequels too, so there's plenty of good reading ahead.

Believe me I was. When I was cleaning out the bookcase, I just hugged and hugged that book before I could put it in the box. I am welling up just thinking about it. Whoever ended up with it can say they have a first edition with her signature in it. :(

I'm so sorry you had to do this. I hope that I am not put in that position and if I am, someone would get my collection who loves it as much as I do.

I'm so sorry you had to do this. I hope that I am not put in that position and if I am, someone would get my collection who loves it as much as I do.

Thank you. All my cookbooks were first editions. I donated them to the big Salvation Army store up on Route #1. I didn't mention the signature inside of Julia's book. I figured it would be a surprise for someone. :)

Are any of you aware that the American Assocation of Libraries has decided to ban the book The Hunger Games?". :huh:

I just searched their website and did not find anything that suggests they are Banning The Hunger Games. Can you point me to where you read this, Addie? Thanks!:)

I just searched their website and did not find anything that suggests they are Banning The Hunger Games. Can you point me to where you read this, Addie? Thanks!:)

It was a little blurb of news on the net the week the movie came out. Only two or three sentences. But where, I can't remember.

It was a little blurb of news on the net the week the movie came out. Only two or three sentences. But where, I can't remember.

According to the website the author, Suzanne Collins, is one of the top authors that have been challenged (by others) to be banned, but they themselves are not considering it. The American Association of Libraries is an advocate for non-censorship...they are opposed to banning books.

Are any of you aware that the American Assocation of Libraries has decided to ban the book The Hunger Games?". :huh:

I read the book and I enjoyed it, and if anybody wants to ban it then IMO they are nuts!

Perhaps part of the issue is that in some respects this is considered "youth fiction" and subject to more stringent standards. However I believe that parents should supervise reading and all other activities of their children. I see no reason to ban this book, although parents of pre-teen children might have cause for concern due to the violence. After all, the book is about a dystopian society with a ritual involving children killing children. That's a concept that would require a certain level of maturity of the reader and could be unsuitable for younger readers.

I think the level of violence in movies that parents often allow their children to view far exceeds the violence depicted in the books. I haven't seen the movie but I'll bet the impact of violence from the movie far exceeds that in the book. It's a far different impact to be actually shown violence than merely have it described in narrative.

Last edited:
I've switched to Greg Iles True Evil. Very exciting and fast paced.

John Varney's Titan is a bit much. I've read about half, but wanted something more conventional. I'll get back to it later.

I read the book and I enjoyed it, and if anybody wants to ban it then IMO they are nuts!

Perhaps part of the issue is that in some respects this is considered "youth fiction" and subject to more stringent standards. However I believe that parents should supervise reading and all other activities of their children. I see no reason to ban this book, although parents of pre-teen children might have cause for concern due to the violence. After all, the book is about a dystopian society with a ritual involving children killing children. That's a concept that would require a certain level of maturity of the reader and could be unsuitable for younger readers.

I think the level of violence in movies that parents often allow their children to view far exceeds the violence depicted in the books. I haven't seen the movie but I'll bet the impact of violence from the movie far exceeds that in the book. It's a far different impact to be actually shown violence than merely have it described in narrative.

movie renditions of violence usually pale when compared to what my mind is capable of creating from the violence found in any book i'm reading.

I'm now reading THE COMPLETE STORIES OF TRUMAN CAPOTE.
A logical choice, after "To Kill a Mockingbird" :)
Did you see the movie "Capote"? I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant, but the portrayal of Harper Lee by Catherine Keener was so fascinating - I wonder if their relationship was like that.
Some say that Capote may have written To Kill a Mockingbird, at least in part. After seeing "Capote" I figure Truman Capote himself started that rumor...

A logical choice, after "To Kill a Mockingbird" :)
Did you see the movie "Capote"? I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant, but the portrayal of Harper Lee by Catherine Keener was so fascinating - I wonder if their relationship was like that.
Some say that Capote may have written To Kill a Mockingbird, at least in part. After seeing "Capote" I figure Truman Capote himself started that rumor...

I loved PS Hoffman in "Capote." It's about time it read, "In Cold Blood," again.

anne rice recently broke off her decade's old affair with organized religion, and i am once again spellbound by her velvety prose. god help me, twenty years ago i willingly followed her into her world of vampires. so here i go again, only this time it is werewolves instead of vampires. the book, the wolf gift, is the same age old tug-of-war between good and evil which anne rice does so masterfully well. i am such an unlikely fan of vampires, werewolves and supernatural romance, but i'm thrilled to see anne back in her element and practicing her craft again....

I finished The Hunger Games and Catching Fire over the weekend. I started Mockingjay last night but didnt get very far. Like them so far! :)

Back
Top Bottom