Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, by Seth Grahame-Smith. Should be some fun.

Princess, I just saw an ad on tv for the movie based on that book! Not sure if I want to get into the whole vampire/zombie meets classic characters or not. I know there's a book out that blends zombies with Jane Austen. Just seems cheesy. Let me know how you like it.

Princess, I just saw an ad on tv for the movie based on that book! Not sure if I want to get into the whole vampire/zombie meets classic characters or not. I know there's a book out that blends zombies with Jane Austen. Just seems cheesy. Let me know how you like it.

So far, it's pretty good. It's the same author who did Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I tried to read that one but didn't care for it. The Abraham Lincoln one is much better. But I am a sucker for good vampire stories.:rolleyes:

I just finished Lee Child's Persuader and am moving on to his Gone Tomorrow. After that I've got 3 more Lisa Gardner books to read.

Tricky Business by Dave Barry. Boy, is he skewering Florida! This one's about the off-shore gambling boats.

Just finished There Goes the Bride by M. C. Beaton. I enjoy her Agatha Raisin series for quick, fun reads in between more serious stuff.

I found a copy of Elizabeth David's Christmas in the thrift store.

The book was stitched together after she died and it is an interesting look at Christmas in England through the years. It is also kind of a mild rant against many of the traditions involving excessive spending, eating and drinking during the holidays. One interesting idea that I need to try was an omelet filled with mincemeat. I am happy to have it in my collection at a bargain price but, I would have been disappointed if I had paid full price. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

James Beard: Delights & Prejudices

;) Buon Giorno,

The way James Beard had talked about gastronomy and food inspires me. He is considered a master of traditional American Cuisine.

I enjoy pulling out the cookbooks to stimulate the thought process for the weekend coming.

Ciao,
Margaux Cintrano.

At the recommendation of my best friend, I picked up a copy of The Secret Life of Bees at the library last week.

I started reading it a few days ago and am enjoying it very much. I'd been aware of the book but was unfamiliar with the subject until Suzanne told me about it. She and I have been best friends for over 58 years and have many of the same reading tastes, so I trusted her suggestion.

Tricky Business by Dave Barry. Boy, is he skewering Florida! This one's about the off-shore gambling boats.

Just finished There Goes the Bride by M. C. Beaton. I enjoy her Agatha Raisin series for quick, fun reads in between more serious stuff.

I have read all of M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin mysteries. Enjoyed them all.

Started Catching Fire this week. It's the second in the Hunger Games trilogy. Also reading Bill O'Reilly's "Culture Warrior" that DH picked up at the thrift store for $0.25. An interesting look at the factions of American culture fighting for dominance. And I've got a David Baldacci book "The Winner" going too! In case you are wondering, I have a book downstairs, one upstairs and one goes to work.

I enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy. I hope perhaps somebody will tell us this author is working on some new novels.

I'm on #5 of 5 out of 7 of The Throne Game septology (seven novels projected, right, a septology... I bet nobody else noticed that yet the novel relying on one sect where 7 is the favorite number). I'm a bit saddened since I know that the next (#6) in this series is not expected until about 2013-2015, and that the series may not culminate until about 2016-2017.

If anybody has the occasion to see George R.R. Martin step out in front of a bus, please throw yourself on him and drag him back out of the path. If you have to sacrifice yourself then we'll love you for it! ;)

Authoress Donatella Arpania

New York City Restaurateur and authoress Donatella Arpania: Her book in Italian is a stunning enchanting historical and awesome account of her ancestors in Puglia ...

Her restaurant is: Mia Dona, Kefie & Anthos ...

" The beauty of the Puglia Table is its´ simplicity " ...

Lovely photos too ...

Ciao,
Margi. :chef:

Last edited:
At the recommendation of my best friend, I picked up a copy of The Secret Life of Bees at the library last week.

I started reading it a few days ago and am enjoying it very much. I'd been aware of the book but was unfamiliar with the subject until Suzanne told me about it. She and I have been best friends for over 58 years and have many of the same reading tastes, so I trusted her suggestion.

When I put this book down last night, I'd read about a third of it. Well, I just polished off the rest this afternoon. What a super book!

I just put it on my Netflix order. Hope the movie is as good as the book.

Katie H said:
When I put this book down last night, I'd read about a third of it. Well, I just polished off the rest this afternoon. What a super book!

I just put it on my Netflix order. Hope the movie is as good as the book.

Loved the book, really enjoyed the movie. I think you'll like it too.

Loved The Secret Life of Bees, both the book and the movie.

Just finished the Kathy Reichs' Spider Bones. I always like her novels, but really appreciated this one because when my husband was assigned to Hawaii, I worked at Hickam Air Force Base, and worked with one of the officers who was in the field, trying to collect and validate MIA remains for this organization. DNA testing didn't yet exist, at least not to the degree we know now, and my husband took a tour of the facility. One of the ways they'd do identification, then, was to reproduce the skull, then build on it to create a face, then compare it to photos of the missing. It was amazing what they could do. In the novel, she talks about stopping everything to attend a repatriation of remains. My husband and I participated in one, and it is a real tear-jerker.

There were always locals who were hoping to get money and would bring bones to this guy (he was an Air Force Lieutenant Colonel), claiming they were bones of an MIA military man. Sometimes they wouldn't even be human -- he told me of monkey, pig, and even chicken bones. Needless to say, those didn't even make it out of country, they could figure it out fast.

The ceremony I participated in was that of the man who was determined to be the "unknown soldier" of the Vietnam War.

I found this book to be very interesting because her facts seemed solid and she accorded respect where it is due.

fllaubert's salammbo, balzac's father periot and zola's germinal. it all started with kayelle's mention of pope's cezanne's quarry. so, your fault, kayelle--and thank you, btw...hope you are living your dreams this month in paris....

Back
Top Bottom