Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally donated more than half of my books to the apartments' library downstairs, hoping that a bunch more enjoyable books would encourage others to donate more also. It's working. I got a bunch of books that I've been whizzing through, including one by Greg Iles, Blood Memory, the original J.D. Robb series, Naked in Death, and Boneyard by Michelle Gagnon that I'm about to finish.

I hadn't read any Michelle Gagnon before, but will definitely be looking for more.

When my husband and I were on the road, almost every organized campground had a "library" of books that were donated. You could exchange them one for one. These were my life-line. I had a milk crate in the back of the pickup, and it was always full of already-read books. Sometimes I'd take them to the day room or laundry room, and just exchange. Sometimes I'd find a town with a real used book store and exchange them there. I still have some towns where I know where to find a good used book store (I very rarely buy new books, when you read 3-5 books a week, new isn't much of an option)(By the way, if you're ever in Edgewater, FL, Brown's is the place to go, but I also found some good books for $1 at the Family Dollar store, and a "Book Rack" has opened a branch there, which I haven't had time to visit).

The book I most recently read was Carry the One by Carol Anshaw. Wasn't much impressed. All the action takes place in the first chapter, then the rest of the book is about how the various people involved were affected by it. Lots of angst and not much to move it forward. So now I'm going for goofy and reading Bones in High Places by Suzette Hill. Just looking for light right now, with father in the hospital, and good friend laid up with a torn tendon. Don't want any brain food, just looking for brain candy.

A Few More Older Edition Cookbook Bargains

:) Buon Giorno,

It is a rarity that I read fiction ... I have an unquenchable thirst for world history, geography, oenology, gastronomy, culture, business and the sciences ...

Here are a few of my latest 2nd hand finds which I encountered at the Madrid´s American Club Book Fair ...

1) BEARD ON FOOD: this James Beard edition focuses on his favourite newspaper columns that he had published.

2) THE COUNTRY COOKING OF FRANCE: This Culinary Institute La Varenne, features some technical as well as Stunning French recipes by Ann Willan.

3) MY LAST SUPPER: This is an interesting take on 50 different modern Chefs who create their final meals. Chefs Mario Batali and Chef Jaime Oliver have provided their Amalfi Coast, Campagnia, Italy recipes ... Written by: M. Dunea.

4) BERGHOFF FAMILY COOKBOOK: This Chicago based renowned restaurant family and their recipes is the theme of this edition.

5) PURE DESSERT: This covers European and North American artisianal chocolates and fresh cheese and fruit desserts rather than the traditional elaborations. Written by: Alice Medrich.

Have nice day,
Ciao, Margi.

Last edited:
My next foray will be George RR Martin's Fevre Dream, it's about VAMPIRES!!! You see that Frank??? He wrote about VAMPIRES!!!!!!

I'm currently working through a Dean Koontz novel "Seize the Night" which is sufficiently creepy with nuggets of inspirational insight into the human condition. Some of the things his main character believes and says are quite profound and can get me thinking.

My next foray will be George RR Martin's Fevre Dream, it's about VAMPIRES!!! You see that Frank??? He wrote about VAMPIRES!!!!!!

Hopefully they don't sparkle in the *&(*^^%^%*(*& sun like some other recent vampires. :cool:

When I get done with The Hunger Games stuff I might have to look into those.

I've finished the Hunger Games series, finished the 5 available volumes of Game of Thrones series...

Currently reading The Mists of Avalon which is Marion Zimmer Bradley's take on the Arthuruan legend/fantasy presented from a female point of view (main character is Morgaine le Fey, King Arthur's sister). The novel has been surprisingly good. In some ways it resembles Martin's series, although Avalon is set in about 5th century England, and the main fantasy part is mostly related to Seeing (remote viewing or seeing the future)... It's about the wars between English and Saxons, and about the contest between Christianity and Druidism, presented mostly from the Druid point of view (Morgaine). I recommend the book, particularly to women.

I am reading The Forgotten Garden bt Kate Morton. A little hard to follow as she jumps from three different times. She wrote The House at Riverton, which is on my Kindle to read next, if I get through this one. Paris Wife after that

Hopefully they don't sparkle in the *&(*^^%^%*(*& sun like some other recent vampires. :cool:

When I get done with The Hunger Games stuff I might have to look into those.

Just came out in paper yesterday. Looks like he might try a series with this one, too. The Fevre Dream is a riverboat...

Just came out in paper yesterday. Looks like he might try a series with this one, too. The Fevre Dream is a riverboat...

The Fevre Dream? A riverboat? I'll have to go to my library's web site and see ... The Galena River (where I live) was once called the Fevre and used to have river boats (wasn't dredged for years and now is way too shallow for all but canoes and pontoons and such). I wonder if it's set around here.

The Fevre Dream? A riverboat? I'll have to go to my library's web site and see ... The Galena River (where I live) was once called the Fevre and used to have river boats (wasn't dredged for years and now is way too shallow for all but canoes and pontoons and such). I wonder if it's set around here.

The blurb on the back says The Mississippi.

I looked it up and it says the Mississippi, but we are about 12 miles from the Ms., the Galena (formally the Fevre) is a tributary. So I'll probably see if I can get the book anyway (heck, I'll read anything.

After a discussion a week or so ago with one of Glenn's little granddaughters about Alice in Wonderland, I've begun reading it again. Oh, what fun. I'm about to enjoy the croquet game with the queen.

Hannah Beth had not read it and had little knowledge of the story so I hope to, at least, be able to tell her a short version of it sometime soon. In the meantime I'm enjoying the story myself.

I just got through reading 2 Seconds Late by Eric Wilson. It was a good read. The story of Job with a modern and inverted twist. He's also the gentleman who novelized Fireproof, Facing The Giants, etc.

At the moment, hubby and I are both reading the same thing on our kindles :)

The author is G Norman Lippert and he has written some books that follow on from the Harry Potter books. The books have the children of the original Harry Potter novels in them.

James Potter book 1 is brilliant, I am halfway through it and it is so like reading a Harry Potter novel, the writing is fabulous and there are so many familiarities with refernce to all things Harry...I definitely recommend these books for anyone who is a fan of the Harry Potter books :)

He is not selling his books, they are free

Books Are Here

Last edited:
Recently finished The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (fantasy and King Arthur legend) and enjoyed it. A bit slow at end but well worth the read. I think particularly women would enjoy this treatment of the legend which is presented from a feminine point of view (Morgaine le Fey is the principal narrative character.)

Just finished V is for Vengeance, Sue Grafton's 22nd outing with her Kinsey Millhone mystery P.I. series.

Currently perusing Ratio while deciding which novel to dig into next. The choices are T. Jefferson Parker (The Jaguar), W.E.B. Griffin (Covert Warriors) and Sebastian Rotella(Triple Crossing) but honestly my heart just isn't into reading some adrenaline pounding thriller at the present time, so I may return all these to the library and hit the shelves again.

I've been enjoying a fair amount of fantasy the last several months, probably partly because they typically aren't as adrenaline pounding as the mystery/action/suspense that I have enjoyed for so many years.

I'm planning on reading the entire Harry Potter series at some point in the future. I've seen most of the Harry Potter movies and enjoyed the ones I saw.

Last edited:
Greg, you must read the Harry Potter series...they really are wonderful books and such an easy read. JK Rowling is so fluent and such a wonderful writer, her books are a pleasure to read :)

I noticed too that G Norman Lippert too has such good writing ability. While I am reading his books you could easily think you were reading a novel by JK Rowling

I too like mystery/thriller novels :)

Back
Top Bottom