Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm reading the last of 4 volumes of the Shadowmarch fantasy series, by Tad Williams.

I've enjoyed it and it's well worth reading but I enjoyed the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin more. Alas, Martin has yet to finish the last two volumes of the 7 volume series, probably won't happen for 3-5 years. At least the Shadowmarch series is complete and I'll soon get to see how it ends.

Thanks to Kylie who recommended Shadowmarch in this topic! :)

Last edited:
Still working on The White Company, A. C. Doyle, written in the 1890's, set in England, and taking place during the 1300's Hundred Years' War. This on page 220 in describing a nobleman's castle:

"The days had gone by when a nobleman's hall was but a barnlike, rush-strewn enclosure........The Crusaders had brought back with them experiences of domestic luxuries, of Damascus carpets and rugs of Aleppo....."

How sad that my frame of reference for Damascus and Aleppo is the current bitter conflict.

I seem to have a love/hate relationship with Pixel of Ink! I have so many books in my kindle waiting to be read! I'm currently reading "The Volunteer" which is very good. A man on death row gives up all his appeals yet his family continues to try to save him from the execution. About 1/3 of the way through and looking forward to how it ends. There's a lot of "reminiscing" in flashbacks so you know how he ended up there and how it has affected his family.

Miss Peregreines Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Just started getting into reading it, my 13 year old daughter recomended it.

jabbur said:
Isn't that about genetic research or something like that? They've kept cells from this woman going for a long time I think. Let me know how you like it Frank. It sounded interesting but I don't always like books that get too technical.

Yes, it is about the HeLa strain.

It is well written and not very technical.

Still working on The White Company, A. C. Doyle, written in the 1890's, set in England, and taking place during the 1300's Hundred Years' War. QUOTE]

Describing a dinner at the Abbey of St. Andrews at Bordeaux:

"Roasted peacocks, with the feathers all carefully replaced, so that the bird lay upon the dish even as it had strutted in life, boars' heads with the tusks gilded and the mouth lined with silver foil, jellies in the shape of the Twelve Apostles, and a great pasty which formed an exact model of the king's new castle at Windsor..."

Currently reading Culinary Reactions by Simon Quellen Field. It's really interesting but also quite technical. I took two years of chemistry classes as part of my BS degree, and yet I still find some of the sections quite difficult to follow. Although I'll admit it's been a long time since I took those chem classes and I've probably forgotten more than I remember. I'll probably reread some of the sections for greater comprehension. In fact I think I'll return to this book from time to time in the future.

I'm reading the last of 4 volumes of the Shadowmarch fantasy series, by Tad Williams.

I've enjoyed it and it's well worth reading but I enjoyed the Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin more. Alas, Martin has yet to finish the last two volumes of the 7 volume series, probably won't happen for 3-5 years. At least the Shadowmarch series is complete and I'll soon get to see how it ends.

Thanks to Kylie who recommended Shadowmarch in this topic! :)

I am so pleased that you enjoyed the series Greg :)

I am so pleased that you enjoyed the series Greg :)

Thanks again! I liked Game of Thrones better but Shadowmarch saved me from a couple dozen hours of being bored spitless.

I think I've had enough of multi-volume fantasy novels. I ain't readin' nothin' that can't get the entire job done in one book anytime soon. :)

Yes, multi volumes can drag on a bit and also you have to wait a fair while between volumes sometimes

Steve has about 5 multi volumed books going on right now..all at the same time :ohmy:

I like to have one story and that is it :)

Just picked up:

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Brothers Grimm - 101 Stories

and a Grammar book...

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. A VERY fun book, especially if you've ever been into video games... or 1980s pop culture... or dystopian future novels. Read it even if you're not into any of that!

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. I really enjoyed this one, too. Story of a woman who loses her memory of the last ten years of her life. She thinks she 29 and expecting her first child... wakes up after a head injury to discover she's 39 with 3 children... and that she seems to be exactly the sort of person she doesn't like.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Not like anything I've ever read and completely engaging! The suspense will keep you reading and reading...

Off Balance by Dominque Moceanu. A memoir by the youngest member of the 1996 women's Olympic gymnastic team (last US team to win gold until this year). Very interesting look inside the world of elite gymnastics - and a very powerful personal story.

World Made by Hand - James Howard Kuntsler. A speculative novel about what happens to a small town in upstate New York after collapse of civilization when a devastating war, oil depletion, disease and climate change all converge. I thought the narrative was a little strange, but the story was so compelling and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, The Witch of Hebron .

I also finished the last two Repairman Jack novels recently (F. Paul Wilson). Sad that there won't be more of those.

Sister by Rosamund Lupton. Really good mystery with a stunning twist.

Starting a novelization of the assassination of Lincoln. Read the introduction which the author explained his approach and gave a quick synopsis of the last few months of the Civil War so the reader can have the proper references to what happens in his story. That was enough for one night! Hope the rest is good.

Back
Top Bottom