Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. A VERY fun book, especially if you've ever been into video games... or 1980s pop culture... or dystopian future novels. Read it even if you're not into any of that!

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. I really enjoyed this one, too. Story of a woman who loses her memory of the last ten years of her life. She thinks she 29 and expecting her first child... wakes up after a head injury to discover she's 39 with 3 children... and that she seems to be exactly the sort of person she doesn't like.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Not like anything I've ever read and completely engaging! The suspense will keep you reading and reading...

Off Balance by Dominque Moceanu. A memoir by the youngest member of the 1996 women's Olympic gymnastic team (last US team to win gold until this year). Very interesting look inside the world of elite gymnastics - and a very powerful personal story.

World Made by Hand - James Howard Kuntsler. A speculative novel about what happens to a small town in upstate New York after collapse of civilization when a devastating war, oil depletion, disease and climate change all converge. I thought the narrative was a little strange, but the story was so compelling and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, The Witch of Hebron .

I also finished the last two Repairman Jack novels recently (F. Paul Wilson). Sad that there won't be more of those.

Sister by Rosamund Lupton. Really good mystery with a stunning twist.

Thanks for the titles and thumbnails. All sound good - they're added to my list.

Blood Line, by James Rollins...another Sigma story. These books are addicting.

TYVM! I've read them all to date and I hadn't realized he had published a new one. I've just reserved a copy at my local public library. From past experience (# copies, my # in the hold queue) I should see it in about a month.

They are addicting!

TYVM! I've read them all to date and I hadn't realized he had published a new one. I've just reserved a copy at my local public library. From past experience (# copies, my # in the hold queue) I should see it in about a month.

They are addicting!

It just came out last week. Or the week before...my brain is fried...

Just checked, June 26. I'm surprised I wasn't #100 in the queue since his books are very popular. My library buys many copies of all the best selling authors and the queues are often 300-400. I periodically research all my favorite authors and note new publications coming out, then check my library on a daily basis until they've added that book pre-publication, and reserve my copy. Best I've done is #2 but I'm often in the top 10 in the queue, assuring me of a copy the first day the book is released. (Actually a few days later because it takes them a few days to get all the right books to the right branches. In the case of the Rollins novel they've got about 40 copies and they're all checked out, but as soon as those 40 people have returned their books I'll get mine.

In fact I just noticed that Line of Fire by Stephen White is being released today. I'm in the top 10 in the queue and they bought about 25 copies, so I'll have my hands on my copy probably by the weekend. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if my local branch has a copy that they're shipping cross town on the bookmobile, and somewhere cross town they're preparing to ship my copy to my local library. They do stuff like that. I reserved one of the Tad Williams Shadowmarch volumes and they sent it from downtown, but 4-5 days later I had finished the previous volume and noted that my second closest branch had a copy not checked out, so I just drove over and got it. Then when the reserved copy reached my local branch I told them to send it back...

I'm waiting for The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling - Sept. 27 publication date. I'm around #80 and I'm pretty sure they'll be buying more than 80 copies. In some cases they buy hundreds of copies. Like they've got almost 200 copies of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Told you my brain was fried...I spent all last week doing Data Entry...not something I am comfortable with and it was exhausting. So basically I lost a week, but it was all physician's orders and had to be entered by nurses and I am one of the most comfortable with a computer. We go live with Electronic Medication Administration on Thursday...

Non Fiction: Cracco - Italian Chef & Restaurateur

Whenever, I have the opportunity, I like to practice reading my Italian, and thus, my fave subject, gastronomy ...

Cracco, is on the top 10 List from the World´s Best List from London Restaurant Magazine Awards.

Very fascinating ...

Margaux.

Just finished The Penny-Pinchers' Club by Sarah Strohmeyer. I thought it would be full of tips to try, and it was. But mostly it was about d-i-v-o-r-c-e. Pretty good read. I'll try her again. Meanwhile, back to the wars with the White Company.

Went to the library today and got Agatha Christies, Miss Marple- The Complete Short Stories. Love her books, movies and all of the TV series.

Told you my brain was fried...I spent all last week doing Data Entry...not something I am comfortable with and it was exhausting. So basically I lost a week, but it was all physician's orders and had to be entered by nurses and I am one of the most comfortable with a computer. We go live with Electronic Medication Administration on Thursday...

Doesn't have much to do with literature, but this reminds me the time I worked for the Entomology Department of the Bishop Museum. For most of my life, up to that point, I'd worked for the military, and people gave me grief about the abbreviations, acronyms, etc. Well, I since learned that just about every place has them. Medical-ese can be like a foreign language. But Entomology was unusual in that I was typing documents in foreign languages that no one in my office knew! Most often it was German, which I know maybe 25 words of (lived there as a child), which had my coworkers beat (I think they knew Danke Schoen but only because of the song!). So it took three of us to proof read the darned things. I almost went blind doing the job (literally).

Right now I'm most involved in Craig Johnson's As the Crow Flies. I loved Tony Hillerman, so am enjoying this. There are also 2 or three other books lying around that I'm reading in bits and spurts. I recently finished Apron Anxiety by Alyssa Shelasky. I usually like food-and-cooking based memoirs but didn't really like this one.

Right now I'm most involved in Craig Johnson's As the Crow Flies. I loved Tony Hillerman, so am enjoying this.

I'm trying to figure this out. I really liked the Tony Hillerman novels, partly because I've camped so much in the area his novels are set in.

I looked up Craig Johnson's As the Crow Flies on Amazon and the review seemingly has no relationship to Hillerman's novels. I presume the two comments quoted above were just separate thoughts?

I'm in between novels but I have a copy of the latest James Rollins Sigma Force novel Bloodline waiting at my local library for pick up (which I'll do tomorrow). Rollins isn't my favorite author but I've found all his Sigma novels enjoyable and well worth reading.

I'm reading "Those who Save us" by Jenna Blum. It's about a mother and daughter at the end of the mother's life. The two of them survived in Weimar Germany during the War but it has affected their relationship. It tells the mother's story of living in war-torn Germany (she is not Jewish so you get "the other side of the story") as well as their relationship now from the daughter's viewpoint. Very gripping.

Somebunny said:
"50 Shades of Grey", just because......

All right. All my friends and colleagues have been raving about it, may have to give it a go.

Got a big kick out of the SNL parody....

Last edited:
"How To Survive The End of The World As We Know It" by James Wesley, Rawles and
"Subterranean" by James Rollins.

Dawgluver said:
All right. All my friends and colleagues have been raving about it, may have to give it a go.

Got a big kick out of the SNL parody....

I didn't see the SNL parody. Dang, I bet it was hilarious. Maybe I can find it somewhere on the net. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom