Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished the much acclaimed Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Holy cow, what a ride! It had me from the start to the very last page. It's been a very long time since I've been so wrapped up in a book, and it's like nothing I've ever read before. To tell anything about it would be a disservice. All I can say, is read it!!

Kayelle said:

Holy cow, what a ride! It had me from the start to the very last page. It's been a very long time since I've been so wrapped up in a book, and it's like nothing I've ever read before. To tell anything about it would be a disservice. All I can say, is read it!!

I'm looking it up now!

"How To Survive The End of The World As We Know It" by James Wesley, Rawles and
"Subterranean" by James Rollins.

Wow, sounds heavy. Haven't been able to get into serious since I broke the hip. Did read one about love and elephants (it was OK) and one food memoir which genre I usually love, but wasn't crazy about it. Both were library books (most my reading is), so I don't have the titles/authors at my finger tips. The gal who wrote it seemed very wrapped up in herself and name-dropping. But maybe it was just my attitude; with the injury I was looking for escapism and frivolous!

Right now I'm reading Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King, and the latest book by McCall Smith (one is upstairs by the bed, the other where I sit during the day, still avoid bringing things down the stairs!). Both are just my level at this time.

"How to Survive..." is a survivalist resource...I have a fetish for end of the world stories and thought this would be a good research item. It is. It's hard to say I enjoyed it, let's say I was not disappointed.

I'm reading Vernor Vinge's The Children Of The Sky. Can't say how much I like it yet. It's in the same universe as A Fire Upon The Deep.

I just read Outdoor Life's "The Ultimate Survival Manual", about surviving all sorts of stuff like animal attacks, tsunamis, forest fires, getting lost at sea, etc. A fun read, and some good info!

Last edited:

Thanks, Kayelle. I hope to read it some day -- checking my library site I find there are 394 holds on it. :( Must be pretty darned good!

Thanks, Kayelle. I hope to read it some day -- checking my library site I find there are 394 holds on it. :( Must be pretty darned good!

Dang it Lizzie! If you had a Nook, I think I could loan it to you. I never dreamed I would enjoy my Nook so much but it was a wonderful Christmas gift from my kids. The price of the book "Gone Girl" was what I would have spent on a lunch out with the girls, or a movie, so it was well worth it for the sheer entertainment.;)

Dang it Lizzie! If you had a Nook, I think I could loan it to you. I never dreamed I would enjoy my Nook so much but it was a wonderful Christmas gift from my kids. The price of the book "Gone Girl" was what I would have spent on a lunch out with the girls, or a movie, so it was well worth it for the sheer entertainment.;)

Fortunately for me, iGone Girl sounds like one of those books with staying power that will still be good by the time it gets to me. Regarding e-readers, shades of Charleton Heston -- they'll probably have to pry an actual library book out of my cold dead fingers. :ermm::LOL:

Fortunately for me, iGone Girl sounds like one of those books with staying power that will still be good by the time it gets to me. Regarding e-readers, shades of Charleton Heston -- they'll probably have to pry an actual library book out of my cold dead fingers. :ermm::LOL:

I understand Lizzie, and would have never bought the Nook Tablet for myself, but I have become a believer. These old eyes need the "perfect" light to read these days so my reading was limited to perfect conditions. With the Nook being back lit with varying degrees of light and the ability to change the font to larger, I'm enjoying reading more than I have in years. :)

By the way, I just finished another book called "Sharp Objects" also by Gillian Flynn and it was terrible. I hated every disgusting minute of it, so it goes to prove how unpredictable an author can be. "Gone Girl" was certainly edgy and twisted, but "Sharp Objects" is so profoundly disturbing I wish I had never read it. :mad:

Last edited:
I understand Lizzie, and would have never bought the Nook Tablet for myself, but I have become a believer. These old eyes need the "perfect" light to read these days so my reading was limited to perfect conditions. With the Nook being back lit with varying degrees of light and the ability to change the font to larger, I'm enjoying reading more than I have in years. :)

By the way, I just finished another book called "Sharp Objects" also by Gillian Flynn and it was terrible. I hated every disgusting minute of it, so it goes to prove how unpredictable an author can be. "Gone Girl" was certainly edgy and twisted, but "Sharp Objects" is so profoundly disturbing I wish I had never read it. :mad:

Duly noted. Thanks. BTW, the "i" in front of Gone Girl was due to my typing in a poorly lit room. And not reading it over before posting. My bad. :rolleyes:

These last five that I've read are all very different sorts of reading experiences, but I recommend all:

14 – by Peter Clines
Dare Me by Megan Abbott
The Age of Miracles by Karen Walker
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

I'm currently reading "Waking Lazarus" by T.L. Hines. Can't wait to finish it so I can start "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman that I snagged for my kindle for $3.

These last five that I've read are all very different sorts of reading experiences, but I recommend all:

14 – by Peter Clines
Dare Me by Megan Abbott
The Age of Miracles by Karen Walker
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

When you have the time, Sharon, would you mind giving us brief thumbnails? TIA.

Back
Top Bottom