Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
can someone give me a review of j.k.rowling's new book, the casual vacancy? anyone read it already? it's $14.99 for the kindle copy at amazon, so i'm holding off for a bit....

Kylie got it and she couldn't finish it. Look back a few posts and you'll find her comments.

Your very welcome Jab :)

I thought it was going to flow like her HP books did, but it felt all jerky, going from one character/group of characters to another, it just didnt feel right to me and I had a really hard time trying to enjoy it

Yes, a freebie on the Kindle may be a good idea to try it out :)

aw, kylie, sorry to hear about your disappointment with j.k rowling's new novel.--makes it easier for me to wait awhile for it though.:)

as i've not read a single one of her hp books, (WhAT?) i shouldn't have any particular problems with a deviation in her writing style or rhythms as compared to her previous work. so anyhow, no rush now. thanks kylie.

Your most welcome V :)

I must admit, as you have not read any HP novels, it may be a better read for you for sure ;)

I just finished The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken and You Might as Well Die. (yes, my reprieve from insomnia is over ... read both of these in less that 48 hours.) These are both books that are in mystery series. The former takes place in India and Pakistan. It was a slow start, even though it was a simple, straightforward murder mystery, then I took a second to go to the back of the book and find a glossary, which I skimmed, then re-started the book! I was trying to read it and figure out the Hindi and Urdu and .... whatever words by their use in the sentence (the food words were easy!).

The latter is a series featuring the Algonquin Round Table, with Dorothy Parker as the main protaganist and Robert Benchly as her sidekick. Since this group has always fascinated me, I loved it, with all their cynical jokes and plays on words. I like that the author (J.J. Murphy) did as many historical novelists do, that is to say, at the end and beginning clarified what the real people did, the timeline, and the settings so you learn a bit about the real thing, enjoy the fictional story, but can separate history from fiction.

Both were the first I've read in their series and I'll definitely keep my eyes open for more (plus will go to Amazon to see if I can find a recommended book about the Algonquin round table).

i would far rather read than sleep any day

pete townshend's memoir, who i am, is finally out and i'm dying to read it! barnes & noble wants an impossible $18.99 for it though!--good thing about that law suit against a few publishers--who knows how high ebook prices would have spiked if these big publishing houses were left to continue running amok with their obscene profits unchecked....

Last edited:
There are usually three categories of books; hard-back, regular paper-back, and I've heard them called trade books (why?) or book club editions, that is to say, better paper-backs.

As you said, there are three categories of books: hardcover, trade paperback, and mass market paperback. Trade paperbacks are generally printed on better paper than mass market paperbacks, but have the same size, pagination and type as the hardcover edition. They exist for two reasons.

(1) Practically all advance copies sent to reviewers and other promotional purposes are trade paperbacks. These go to book reviewers and other people in the publishing trade, including the publisher's stable of best selling writers in the same genre.

That's where the cover jacket recommendations from reviewers and best selling authors comes from. I presume best selling authors working for the same publisher are expected to put in a plug when it's called for, and they can expect the same plugs when their next novel comes out.

Since both reviewers and authors are in the trade, they're reading the books for technical reasons, not for enjoyment, the outside of the book doesn't matter so the publisher economizes by not binding the book in an expensive cover. Presumably the trade paperbacks will be tossed out or donated once their business purpose has been accomplished.

The reviewers and the authors who provide quotes for recommendations are in the book publishing trade so that is why these books are called trade paperbacks.

(2) Book clubs are able to sell brand new popular books at a great discount by buying in large volume, and by buying the less expensive trade paperback editions. They pass the savings on to book club members. They are a secondary group who benefits from trade paperbacks.

can someone give me a review of j.k.rowling's new book, the casual vacancy? anyone read it already? it's $14.99 for the kindle copy at amazon, so i'm holding off for a bit....

I caught a few discouraging words above so I'm not going to read the rest of the posts until after I've read Rowling's new book. My expectation is that I am going to enjoy it and that I will provide a good review.

I reserved my copy months ago at the Los Angeles Public Library, and got very near to the head of the line. I monitor new releases from best selling authors and then check LAPL's website every day until they create a listing and then I place my hold. It's not unusual for me to get in the top 10 of the queue but Rowling's popularity caused the queue to fill up so quickly that I got #32 spot. Since LAPL was sure to purchase more than 32 copies that means I'll be the first person to read the copy I get.

Unfortunately there was a SNAFU in their system (first time I've seen this in perhaps 3 dozen similar situations) and only the first dozen or so in the queue got their books. After 2 weeks of seeing the queue not move at all I finally called downtown and talked to one of the high level managers about the problem. It seems that they are short on staff due to budgetary reasons, and that the book had sort of inadvertently been pushed off to the side. The manager promised me she would send out an emergency message to all librarians to get the books labeled and put them into the system, and sure enough 24 hours later another 8-10 were moving along (the queue hadn't moved at all for 10 days) and now my copy is in transit and sure to arrive at my local branch by Monday or Tuesday.

Since there are over 400 people in the queue behind me I have exactly 3 weeks to read the book before it is forceably ripped from my fingers and handed to the next person in line behind me. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, Greg. I kinda figured the "book club" part because being in a book club would be pretty expensive otherwise. I like them because I find them easier to read and tote around compared to either the full edition or the standard paperback editions. I'm not a person who needs to read a book when it's hot off the presses or cares if it is new or used (all pages intact is all I care about, and when I'm through with a book I own it goes back into the library for their annual sale).

Currently reading (or rather, listening to) "Kicking and Dreaming", which is a memoir by Ann and Nancy Wilson of the rock band "Heart".

I don't know what possessed me to buy it, but it's actually fairly entertaining thus far. And the audio version is probably better because it's read by the sisters.

For those with kindles, I just got my Book Bub email this morning and they have one of my favorites on sale for $0.99! If you enjoy mysteries with humor and animals you'll love "Dog on it" by Spencer Quinn. I suggest you go check it out at Amazon. Even though I have the DTB version, I'm seriously considering getting the digital version also.

I just finished "Prey" by Michael Crichton - it was a re-read, but I enjoyed it again :) Now I'm re-reading "Poland" by James Michener. I love Michener.

jabbur said:
For those with kindles, I just got my Book Bub email this morning and they have one of my favorites on sale for $0.99! If you enjoy mysteries with humor and animals you'll love "Dog on it" by Spencer Quinn. I suggest you go check it out at Amazon. Even though I have the DTB version, I'm seriously considering getting the digital version also.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jabbur! I scored both the 99 cent ones.

Being a Dawgluver, this will be right up your ally! It's told from the dog's point of view! I can so see my own pup doing this stuff while I'm reading.

I'm rereading Glory Road by Robert Heinlein. It's holding up really well for SF published in 1963 - the writing that is, the book, not so much.

Currently reading (or rather, listening to) "Kicking and Dreaming", which is a memoir by Ann and Nancy Wilson of the rock band "Heart".

I don't know what possessed me to buy it, but it's actually fairly entertaining thus far. And the audio version is probably better because it's read by the sisters.
Please post a review when you've read the whole book. I'm a big Heart fan and I have all their studio albums and a few of their live albums. Also recently got Ann Wilson's solo album. She does some really nice covers of The Youngbloods (Darkness, Darkness), The Animals (We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place), Led Zeppelin (Heart has done several covers of Zep in their concerts), and more, and has some interesting guests playing/singing in some of the songs including Elton John, Wynonna, and more. I hadn't expected much of the album Ann without Heart but I was pleasantly surprised.

Right now I'm enthralled with and old epic book of nearly a thousand pages, called "From Sea to Shining Sea" by James Alexander Thom, one of my favorite authors. I can hardly put it down. Here's something about it.

In one generation, the Clark family of Virginia fought for our nation's independence, and explored, conquered, and settled the continent from sea to shining sea. This powerfully written book recreates the warm life of the family, the dangers of the battlefield, the grueling journeys across an untamed wilderness, and the soul-stirring Lewis and Clark Expedition. This mighty epic is a fitting tribute to the wisdom and courage of Ann Rogers Clark, her husband John, and the ten sons and daughters they nurtured and inspired.

I just wanted to re-visit this by saying I just finished From sea to Shining Sea, by Thom and it will go down in my memory as one of the top favorite books of my life. I'm overwhelmed by the power of this remarkable family in our American history. For me, there was not one boring part in nearly a thousand pages and I hated to have it end.
If historical novels interest you, this one is golden.

Please post a review when you've read the whole book. I'm a big Heart fan and I have all their studio albums and a few of their live albums. Also recently got Ann Wilson's solo album. She does some really nice covers of The Youngbloods (Darkness, Darkness), The Animals (We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place), Led Zeppelin (Heart has done several covers of Zep in their concerts), and more, and has some interesting guests playing/singing in some of the songs including Elton John, Wynonna, and more. I hadn't expected much of the album Ann without Heart but I was pleasantly surprised.
Will do, Greg. I'm a fan myself. DW and I have seen them three times in the last 10 years, and it's amazing that Ann, who is now in her 60s, is still able to hit all those high notes so effortlessly. If anything, the band is as good now as they were when I first saw them 35 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom