Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished the first Stephanie Plum book "One for the Money" by Janet Evanovich. Really enjoyed it. I don't have any others in that series and with the wedding coming up next month, can't afford to spend money on books! I went back to my stash of ebooks on my kindle and picked up the Liturgical Mysteries Series with "The Diva wore Diamonds" by Mark Schweizer. Light mystery, comical characters in the Northern Exposure vein of small towns.

I ditched the Bova. Started the second book of a series by Hugh Howey, Shift. I was hooked by the second sentence and resent having to put it down.

I finally fnished the Rowan series and started on the Jeffrey Deaver: The Sleeping Doll. It's another Kathryn Dance novel. I love that character. I'm already up to page 206!

A few friends and I formed a book club; we're on our second book: "The Red Tent," by Anita Diamant, and I just finished Part I. Really, really good. It's putatively the story of Dinah, daughter of Jacob, from the Bible. I gather she is just mentioned in the Bible and this describes her and her family and what their lives were like. The red tent is where the women stayed during menstruation and childbirth, and of course, talked about womanly things away from the men ;)

A few friends and I formed a book club; we're on our second book: "The Red Tent," by Anita Diamant, and I just finished Part I. Really, really good. It's putatively the story of Dinah, daughter of Jacob, from the Bible. I gather she is just mentioned in the Bible and this describes her and her family and what their lives were like. The red tent is where the women stayed during menstruation and childbirth, and of course, talked about womanly things away from the men ;)

I really enjoyed that book. Even though it is a novel, I think the research had to be pretty good to make you feel like you were there. Gives you a look into the way the people lived during that time. Loved it!

I really enjoyed that book. Even though it is a novel, I think the research had to be pretty good to make you feel like you were there. Gives you a look into the way the people lived during that time. Loved it!

I love good historical novels, too. Michener is one of my favorite authors.

i'm reading '12 years a slave' by solomon northrup. the book has been made into a movie, which will very possibly be this gen's 'roots'. '12 years' is based on a true-life story about a free negro man, living in new york state in the 1840s, who is captured and sold back into slavery in the south. i highly recommend it. amazingly, amazon is selling the kindle version for just 99 cents!

i'm reading '12 years a slave' by solomon northrup. the book has been made into a movie, which will very possibly be this gen's 'roots'. '12 years' is based on a true-life story about a free negro man, living in new york state in the 1840s, who is captured and sold back into slavery in the south. i highly recommend it. amazingly, amazon is selling the kindle version for just 99 cents!

Oooh, Vit, thanks for the tip! Just scored it. The movie sounded very interesting, happy to get the Kindle book!

Oooh, Vit, thanks for the tip! Just scored it. The movie sounded very interesting, happy to get the Kindle book!

yes, the movie, a british film, is getting sensational reviews. i'm glad you picked it up, dawg. shoot, i think i'll go and post this on the new 'bargain' thread i just started, so even more interested dc readers can get in on this bargain book buy!

I am now reading Amanda Knox Waiting to be Heard. It goes into a lot more detail about the murder than Fatal Beauty. As it is being told by Amanda, it indicates that she is innocent, not involved at all. But it makes me go hmmmmm. I don't know if being grilled by the police could ever stress me out enough to sign a confession to a murder I did not commit. Twice. What was she thinking? But then I have never been in that position so I really don't know.

According to an article I read online, the new trial is going on right now in Italy and it all comes down to a trace of Merediths DNA found on a knife in the kitchen of Rafaele, the boyfriend.

Last edited:
I recently read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I thought I had read it before, but it was all new to me. I enjoyed it so much, I ordered the Ender's Shadow series to read more about Bean.

However, during the 3rd of this series, Shadow Puppets, I found a Sandra Brown book I haven't read before at Walmart today, and decided to take a break.

Man! She can capture my attention so quickly! The book is French Silk and she's caught me in her spell again, so quickly. I really enjoy anything Sandra Brown has written. Hooked again!

I also like Sandra Brown. A friend gave me a few of her books I have not read yet. Lately everything I've read has bored me. I think it's time to take a break from reading for a while.

Right now I'm working on my Sunday School lesson, so I'm reading the Bible. I took a break from it to come here.

Otherwise, I'm reading Hitler's Mein Kampf.

Don't ask.

With love,
~Cat

Currently reading Michael McGarrity's "Hard Country"

" Packed with an honest portrayal of the people and events that set into motion range wars, Indian raids, cattle rustling, rough justice, long-standing feuds, murder, and the final closing of the frontier, Hard Country resonates with a hard-bitten, atmospheric reality. It is the Western reinvented and enlarged into an historic family saga that above all celebrates the people and the land of the great Southwest"

McGarrity follows Tony Hillerman's place in my reading stack. (Hillerman is deceased). He writes about the same geographic area, for the most part. His novels are similar but different than Hillerman's tales and if you liked/loved Hillerman then you'll feel the same about McGarrity. Although each book is a stand alone there is a loose connection between them that I find better if read in order---- but that's not necessary.

Got three fluff books to read in the car on the drive to FL - the "Wine Lover's Mystery" series by Michele Scott. Quick, easy, fun reads. The next one is waiting for me at the library but it can cool its heels until its two siblings show up too. Then I'll hole up in my chair and read until my eyes fall out!

On the bedtable: a piece of fluff like CG's, fast, easy -- Frozen Stiff by Annelise Ryan (a new-to-me author)

The last in a trilogy, MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood. Recently finished the second, The Year of the Flood.

And my first Elmore Leonard - Maximum Bob. Only a few pages in, trying it out -- having read several failed fluffs lately, it's almost startling how fresh and good his writing is. I should have been a serious fan by now. Lots of quality catching-up to do.

Back
Top Bottom