Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm reading an old paperback by Barbara Delinsky, Coast Road. A couple with 2 teen daughters divorce because the husband is too tied up in his job to spend time with the family. When the wife is left in a coma as a result of an automobile accident, the husband goes to stay with the daughters, and also spends a lot of time at the hospital with his ex-wife. As time goes on he is leaving his work by the wayside to spend time with his wife and kids. I'm not more than half way into it, but I think in time he will realize that family is more important to him and when she comes out of the coma they will get back together. The writing reminds me of Nicholas Sparks.

I just finished 2 books by M. Louisa Locke, "Maids of Misfortune" and "Uneasy Spirits". They are set in 1879 San Francisco and follow a young widow Annie Fuller who runs a boarding house. She manages to do some sleuthing as well. Both well written. Now I'm starting "They came to Baghdad" by the wonderful Miss Agatha Christie.

I'm reading The Blackhouse by Peter Mays.

From Booklist
*Starred Review* Scottish novelist May (whose series include the Enzo Files, starring a Scottish forensic scientist working in France) starts a projected trilogy, again with a Scottish sleuth, with a shotgun blast of a debut. Two bodies are found hanging from trees: one in Edinburgh, the other on the Isle of Lewis, the most northerly isle in the Outer Hebrides. Edinburgh cop Fin Macleod, originally from Lewis, is assigned to the case for no more reason than that he speaks Gaelic. Two narratives vie with each other. "

Amazon.com: The Blackhouse eBook: Peter May: Kindle Store

I blew through a few Tess Gerritsens (good stuff!) and just finished Alan Parks' "Seriously Mum, What's an Alpaca?" that was a $.99 Bookbub deal. Their life as expats in Spain with all the local quirks reminded me of Mexico. A delightful, quick read, especially for animal lovers. I'm now on the sequel (cheap for Kindle).

Last edited:
I'm going to re-read this non-fiction (but reads like an adventure) book: Ship of Gold by Gary Kinder

"Ship of Gold tells the story of the sinking of the SS Central America, a side-wheel steamer carrying nearly six hundred passengers returning from the California Gold Rush, two hundred miles off the Carolina coast in September 1857. Over four hundred lives and twenty-one tons of California gold were lost. It was the worst peacetime disaster at sea in American history, a tragedy that remained lost in legend for over a century. In the 1980s, a young engineer from Ohio set out to do what no one, not even the United States Navy, had been able to do: establish a working presence on the deep-ocean floor and open it to science, archaeology, history, medicine, and recovery."

Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea: The History and Discovery of the World's Richest Shipwreck: Gary Kinder: 8601400671061: Amazon.com: Books

For people who like to know how 'things work' combined with a good story this is the book.

As you can see by my handle I do a LOT of reading and enjoy historical romances. Yes, I'm quite secure in my manliness and old enough to read whatever I please without fear of censure. I'm just beginning Treasures of the North by Tracie Peterson which is a romantic adventure taking place during the Yukon gold rush.

As you can see by my handle I do a LOT of reading and enjoy historical romances. Yes, I'm quite secure in my manliness and old enough to read whatever I please without fear of censure. I'm just beginning Treasures of the North by Tracie Peterson which is a romantic adventure taking place during the Yukon gold rush.
If you like historical romances you must try Georgette Heyer. Unlike the truly dreadful Barbara Cartland et al, GH 's novels are noted for the quality and accuracy of the historical backgrounds. She also wrote detective stories but these aren't as good (IMO) as the historical ones.

One of my favourites of the Regency romances is "The Grand Sophy", the Sophy of the title being one of GH's most feisty (but lady-like) heroines but I think you might like "An Infamous Army" which, isn't a straight romance as such but is set around the battle of Waterloo and concerns real and imaginary characters of the time.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking GH is another Barbara Cartland. The latter actually stole a number of GH's plots and mangled them thoroughly!

Happy reading!

Last edited:
It lists Philip K Dick as the author.. some hack I believe. :cool:

I didn't pay attention to length and didn't realize that was a short story. Feh.

Been spending some time reading Absolute C++ this morning

LOL!!! Very different from the movie.

Now you need to read, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", and get back to me on the movie based on that title.

Last edited:
I'm starting the 5th in the Vicki Delany / Constable Mollie Smith series. Among The Departed. An enjoyable cozy mystery series.

A Richard S. Wheeler western, 'Seven Miles to Sundown,' gold prospecting set in the deserts of the southwest. Just the thing to counterbalance our rainy, humid Florida weather.

One I plan to read is by Sandra Grimes - 'Circle of Treason,' nonfiction about the outing of our snake-in-the-grass CIA spy Aldrich Ames.

Back
Top Bottom