Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rereading "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The Apocalypse handled with British humor! Loved it the first time and enjoying another visit with it.

Rereading "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The Apocalypse handled with British humor! Loved it the first time and enjoying another visit with it.

Darn it all, I just had to go and read the synopsis of Good Omens on Amazon. Another book is on its way.

I just downloaded three books to my kindle as well.

1. Gold Digger, A Klondike Mystery/ Vicki Delany
2. A Cold White Sun, A Constable Mollie Smith Mystery / Vicki Delany
3. The Frozen Shroud, A Lake District Mystery / Martin Edwards

I have so many books on my "to be read" pile it's ridiculous. I have a number of Terry Pratchett books, Neil Gaiman books, and for some reason I just had to have the Barsetshire Chronicles by Anthony Trollope. (What was I thinking.)

The book hoarders prayer, "Oh Lord, let me live long enough to get all my books." Amen.

Last edited:
Darn it all, I just had to go and read the synopsis of Good Omens on Amazon. Another book is on its way.

I have so many books on my "to be read" pile it's ridiculous. I have a number of Terry Pratchett books, Neil Gaiman books, and for some reason I just had to have the Barsetshire Chronicles by Anthony Trollope. (What was I thinking.)

The book hoarders prayer, "Oh Lord, let me live long enough to get all my books." Amen.

You are going to LOVE it!

Parcel came from Amazon the other day and I sat and read "The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon" (latest in Alexander McAll Smith's "No 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series) in one sitting. Have read them all to date and love them. Not intellectually stimulating but who cares. They're a comfortable, comforting read.

Then I sat down with "The Wyndham Case" (the first of Jill Paton Walsh's "Imogen Quy" mysteries.) A bit predictable - I'd spotted both the murderer and why he killed the victim about 1/3 of the way through despite the red herrings but it was still a good read (and a quick one). Having read the first I might read more of them.

Also bought 2 Nigella Lawsons (Christmas and Summer) Wild extravagance - one penny each + £2.80 postage and packing? I used to be a bit (well, a lot, really) sniffy about her but I'm coming round. I still don't think I'd splash £20 on a copy but Amazon's secondhand sales are great. "Forever Summer" has comments in the former owner's hand writing on some of the recipes. I love that.

Last edited:
Not intellectually stimulating but who cares. They're a comfortable, comforting read.

UP WITH COZY MYSTERIES! At the end of a long day a comfortable, comforting read is just what the doctor ordered. Something to help you escape from the daily grind.

When reading the "Barsetshire Chronicles" think Alan Rickman as Obadiah Slope (he was the Sheriff of Nottingham in "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves"). He was just SO right in the television serialisation of the Barsetshires. PF is right you'll love them

When reading the "Barsetshire Chronicles" think Alan Rickman as Obadiah Slope (he was the Sheriff of Nottingham in "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves"). He was just SO right in the television serialisation of the Barsetshires. PF is right you'll love them

I was giving Thumbs up for Good Omens, by Pratchett and Gaiman.

Speaking of which, I am almost done with Gaiman's, Ocean at the End of the Lane. Excellent scary story!

Been on a Carl Hiaasen kick, currently re-reading Bad Monkey, I love it. The pirate monkey that is on the cover is actually getting tattooed on me in 2 weeks. I've worked my way through about a dozen of his books now, thanks to airport layovers, and have really grown to enjoy the heck out of him.

UP WITH COZY MYSTERIES! At the end of a long day a comfortable, comforting read is just what the doctor ordered. Something to help you escape from the daily grind.
Did someone say "daily grind"? One of my favorite Cozies series are the Coffee House Mysteries by Cleo Coyle (actually a wife/husband team). The recipes are pretty yummy too.

CoffeeHouseMystery.com

Been on a Carl Hiaasen kick, currently re-reading Bad Monkey, I love it. The pirate monkey that is on the cover is actually getting tattooed on me in 2 weeks. I've worked my way through about a dozen of his books now, thanks to airport layovers, and have really grown to enjoy the heck out of him.

One of the humblest, nicest men I have ever met. I thought he would be intimidating but he isn't even close to intimidating. Just absolutely genuine.

11865891253_f63e5c646e_b.jpg

I was lucky enough to get to hear this speech that same trip that I got to hear so many other amazing writers speak. Take a listen. It's hysterical!

Audio Archives | Carl Hiassen: Florida Freak Show | Key West Literary Seminar

What a treat! Thanks for sharing your experience! I imagined he would be kind of an easy-breezy type of guy after hearing an interview with him on NPR, glad to know he lives up to the expectation!

Love Hiaasen, his older novels, Skin Tight, Native Tongue, Double Whammy, Strip Tease...basically, if Skink is in it I love it. I see there is a new YA coming out this year called Skink - No Surrender, will have to look for it.

On edit: It comes out Sept 23rd, available for pre-order on Amazon for <$15, hardcover.

Last edited:
As a funny side note, I play Call of Duty - Ghosts on PS3. I have renamed my squad members the following: Doc, Skink, McGee, O'Connor, Serge and Thorn. :D

I am reading red sparrow by jason matthews. Typical espionage novel, but what I like most is that at the end of each chapter, there is a recipe for whatever dish was eaten, or mentioned in the chapter. In chapter one this spy escapes the kgb by ducking into a soup kitchen, wherby some old woman serves him up a bowl of beet soup. End of chapter, recipe for old ladies beet soup...lol cool

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom