Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just after I drop off the previous Wine Lover's Mystery, I get a notification that the next book (and, so far, last written) is waiting for me at the library. After I'm done with A Toast to Murder I'll have to put a stop to books for a while. My tower of magazines is close to unwieldy and close to sliding out of its basket.

Just finishing a James Patterson book, Mistress.

Next in line The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

I was inspired by a PBS series on Samuel Clements.
We read Tom Sawyer in English class at school and as I enjoyed it I asked for Huck Finn for Christmas. I was really disappointed. I found it rather tiresome. I re-discovered my copy when I was sorting out stuff of my mother's. Didn't know she'd kept it. Had another go at it and didn't enjoy it anymore than when I was 12.
It's gone in the charity shop bag.

I just finished Diana Gabaldon's eighth book in the Outlander Serires, Written in My Own Heart's Blood, great author.
Her books grab you and hold you, well, they do me anyways...
Now I see that the book is a series on the Starz network
WOW!
Only wish we got that channel :(
Sadder yet, now I'll have to wait another 4-5 years for the next "Big Book"

Went to our local used book store (were they are having a special on Tuesday and Thursdays) buy one get one free. So I stocked up on some Dorothy Simpson mysteries in hard cover. They seem to be making the print in those paperbacks smaller and smaller. :)

We read Tom Sawyer in English class at school and as I enjoyed it I asked for Huck Finn for Christmas. I was really disappointed. I found it rather tiresome. I re-discovered my copy when I was sorting out stuff of my mother's. Didn't know she'd kept it. Had another go at it and didn't enjoy it anymore than when I was 12.
It's gone in the charity shop bag.

Just beginning Huck Finn's adventures and am finding it a bit tedious. Isn't holding my interest like Tom's story did.

I'm trying to remember what the PBS program said about Twain's life at the time he wrote about good old Huck Finn. Could be a reflection of that. He did have a few challenges personally and financially.

Huck Finn is a bit drier/serious, it has more social commentary than Tom does. Tow Sawyer is a kids story, Huck Finn is for the adults.

I've been reading various urban fantasy series:

Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series
Karen Chance's Dorina Basarab / Damphir series
Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series
Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series
Stacia Kane's Downside series

If anybody is interested in urban fantasy that's over 2 dozen books right there. In some ways they're like SciFi except that fantasy is no longer constrained by the laws of science -- yet they still need an internal logic of their own, interesting characters, suspense...

My other favorite urban fantasy authors include Kim Harrison, Patricia Briggs, Karen Marie Moning...

I just finished Diana Gabaldon's eighth book in the Outlander Serires, Written in My Own Heart's Blood, great author.

Her books grab you and hold you, well, they do me anyways...

Now I see that the book is a series on the Starz network

WOW!

Only wish we got that channel :(

Sadder yet, now I'll have to wait another 4-5 years for the next "Big Book"

Kgirl, I love the Outlander series as well as Diana Gabaldon's other books. I've been reading them for years. I am also watching the TV series on Starz. I haven't begun The newest book yet. I'm reading one of her Lord John Grey books right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

So you didnt read Huck Finn? ;)

(late to the discussion, I know)

I guess I'm the odd one out here. I greatly prefered Huck Finn to Tom Sawyer. The characters in Huck were real to me, and he seemed like the kind of kid I could have been friends with. I could sympathize with Huck, and empathize. I found him very likeable.

Tom's adventures just seemed obnoxious and I spent a lot of the book being glad he wasn't my little brother or someone I had to go to school with. And Becky (I think that was her name, the girl who liked Tom) annoyed me, although I don't remember why. The charachters didn't seem as alive to me either.

Huck Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird are the only two books I had to read in high school that I remember actually liking. Well, and some of Shakespere's plays but they're plays, not books.

Back
Top Bottom