Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, read them about 30 years ago. Have probably read the whole series about 4-5 times over the years. Love it!

I understand there was a movie made from the books starring Darryl Hannah that didn't do very well. Has anyone seen it? I've been looking up some of the animals, plants and tools, etc. A good movie with this material would be great. I wish there were color plates in the books.

The March choice for Book Group is "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull". Now there's a blast from the past. I didn't read it back in the '70s so I'm looking forward to it.

Sped through the latest Joanne Fluke book "Double Fudge Brownie Murder". It's coming up on the time of year a get a lot of reading done. Nice days in the sun room, taking a break from some sort of housework inside or out. I like most to sit there late at night in the summer, just me, listening to the crickets outside, and reading. Best way to unwind after a day of gardening - after taking a nice shower. *sigh*

Wastelands, a collection of short stories on "end of civilization", how it happened and how humans continue on. No zombies or vampires...good Science-Fiction.

The March choice for Book Group is "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull". Now there's a blast from the past. I didn't read it back in the '70s so I'm looking forward to it.
I didn't read "JLS" in MArch. It took longer to arrive from Amazon than it should have done and then stuff got in the way - Tetley wasn't well and I was worrying about him and running about giving him medicine and taking him for walks on the lead rein so JLS got pushed to the bottom of the list. I will read it though.

The April choice at book group is Wilkie Collins' "The Woman in White", a Victorian thriller - it's often described as the first "sensational novel" (in the sense that it was a bit of a shocker and created a sensation). I read it years ago and heard it serialised both as a drama and as a novel read on "Book at Bedtime" on the radio. I'm looking forward to reading it again.

Have just finished "Among the Mad" by Jacqueline Winspear. It's a "Maisie Dobbs" mystery. The series is excellent. "Maisie", the protagonist, is a psychologist and private investigator and the story lines are intelligent and always more than just a "whodunit". The author is an English woman who has lived in the US for many years although the "MD" series is set in England in the late 1920s-ealrier 1930s. Highly recommended.

Since I last posted on this thread it's been....

Tami Hoag - The 9th Girl.

Karin Slaughter - Cop Town.

Harlan Coben -Missing You.

Dan Fesperman - The Arms Maker of Berlin.

J.A. Jance - Moving Target.

The Portable Atheist, Christopher Hitchens.

Finding it slow reading.

Wyshiepoo, Sometimes I find the slowest reading books are the best ones. :)

That's not always the case but they seem to make you think as you read. ;)

Or it could be one of those you simply don't care for. :LOL:

I'm reading several textbooks for students in culinary school; a book on diseases passed from wildlife to humans and domestic animals, and a book on effective social media techniques. For pleasure I am reading the Norwegian author Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series on my Kindle... The translator who translated his books is really good--hard to believe the books weren't written in English.

I like Greg Iles's first book, "Black Cross." It is a real suspense thriller, his best book IMO. It's about WW II and poison gas. "Black cross" was the code word for the most deadly gas.

I've just finished Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy - now extended, decided to try her "The Others" series and I am totally enchanted by the series debut "Written in Red."

Note the Anne Bishop books are hardcore fantasy. I'm loving this Others series because I know if the rest are as good as the debut I won't have any problems finding reading material for some time...

Just got done reading the whole series ( 29 books ) of Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who. Loved every one and hated to see the series end.

Himself and I were just talking about "The Cat Who..." yesterday. He's reading one of Donna Andrews' mysteries and said her writing reminds him of Lilian Jackson Braun. Every winter I figure I should start all over from book one, and every spring the chance has passed me by.

I grabbed "Born With Teeth" by Kate Mulgrew off the New Books shelf when I returned a couple books on Friday. Interesting read...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom