Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cath, I got into reading to shut-in freinds because I met a woman who was going blind in a bar when we first moved here. Having been in that position myself (I had a severe case of iritis once), I knew that the one thing I would miss the most was reading. I asked her over and over again for a year and one day she told me a couple of friends of hers had written books and she desperately wanted to read them (and they are not the kind of books you're going to find on tape). That was over five years ago. I now hike up to their home (one friend is blind, the other is completely crippled with rheumatoid arthritis) and read to them twice a week. Sometimes I spend the first half-hour reading mail and newsletters, then segue into a book (right now it is The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier; in line are a travelogue and The Secret Garden; my friends were interested in childrens' books and had not read this classic, so that will be it. In the past we've read everything from large historic tomes to novels (these women are very highly educated, much more so than I).

If this kind of thing interests you, I recommend you contact your local assisted living facility. I do this with these ladies because they are friends, and it has enriched my life. I think one of the oddest moments was when someone told me they thought one of these ladies was dead. No, she just cannot get out of her house. This made a large difference in her life.

A friend I know did read at an assisted living facility for many years. He used to joke that he could read the same chapter over and over again because most everyone suffered from some sort of dementia (alzeimers or parkinsons). In my case, my ladies are very alert and we discuss what we read. My husband is a historian by nature, and we often get calls asking him for information (the latest was a question about the Bay of Pigs; often there are calls about the history of the Roman Catholic Church, or the history of the middle ages, or ..... ).

You might also contact your local library to see if they have a program. I know most libraries have programs for reading to children, which is great. But maybe some out there have programs for reading to adults who cannot. There are probably more out there than you'd think. An acquaintance told me that because of crippling arthritis, her mom can no longer hold up a book. This is the case with one of my reading buddies.

Job - A Comedy Of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein

Which is a funny coincidence, if have ever read JOB you would understand. If not read the description of JOB and I think you will get it.

I missed your post the first time through.

Wiki has a good synopsis of Job.

I read JOB in the mid 80's, when Fallwell and Robertson were riding high, when Baker was crashing, and I thought, do I really want to spend eternity with those kinds of people?

BTW, did you ever read Heinliens 'essay' about the worlds laziest man?

{edit} I had to look it up, Worlds Laziest Man is in Time enough for Love.{/edit}

Last edited:
Do you really want to know? It's called Naykrashti Kazke Ookraiine (Best Fables Ukraine) with a Ukrainian - English Slovnek (dictionary) in one hand and Modern Ukrainian by Assya Humesky in the other. If you can call it reading, but that's it!

Claire

Sorry about the wrong name on the previous post, get a bit confused sometimes, so many names.

Thanks for the info, I really admire you.

It is funny because my mum ran into my ex mother-in-law the other day who I have not seen in nearly 10 years which is a shame as we got on ok. She had rheumatoid arthritis when my ex and I divorced. I have since remarried. She told Mum that she has also lost 80% of her sight and she was always an avid reader. Maybe I could get the gumption up to speak to her in the near future. But I do go to the library every month so I will ask there and let you know how I go.

Cath

Having been in that position myself (I had a severe case of iritis once), I knew that the one thing I would miss the most was reading.

Yes I also feel that. I cant live without book, I feel a kind of void if there is nothing to read (this thing sometime happens, when I go some other's place and they don't read).

I need glasses to read doctor said this is not good for my age.

I missed your post the first time through.

Wiki has a good synopsis of Job.

I read JOB in the mid 80's, when Fallwell and Robertson were riding high, when Baker was crashing, and I thought, do I really want to spend eternity with those kinds of people?

BTW, did you ever read Heinliens 'essay' about the worlds laziest man?

{edit} I had to look it up, Worlds Laziest Man is in Time enough for Love.{/edit}

Hmm, according to Wiki it "owes much to Mark Twain's Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven".
I may have to go see if I can pick that one up and read it, sounds intriguing as well.

And yea, not sure if I want to be around those guys either. The accumulation of wealth is NOT supposed to be a priority with Christian Teachers.

About to start Renegade's Magic by Robin Hobb (book 3 of the Soldier's Son trilogy). Got to read book 2 while I was recuperating. Also got to finish book 2 of the Queen of Isis series by Traci Harding. Then I have three books by Guy Gaverial Kay to read, a Sidney Sheldon, a Marian Keyes, The Diary of Mark Twain from when he was in Australia and a couple of Robert Walker books (but am looking for Book 1 before I start those). And if I ever get the chance I wouldn't mind finishing The Phantom of The Opera and Pilgrim's Progress, although I have read that before (and it is really the second part/book that I amm reading now). And I was wanting to read Jane Eyre after that had a shoddy version of it on tv over summer but I think that will get shelved cos in a couple of months there is a new Marian Keyes book coming out and the new Traci Harding should be soon after.

This past week I read Channeling Mark Twain (not a favorite, but for poetry lovers probably a good one)The Brief Wondrous Live of Oscar Wao (again not a favorite), Dead Heat, The Kingdom of Bones, and Sweet Candy. Brain candy. I'm trying to read McCulloughs (probably mispelled) Anthony and Cleopatra, but for some reason it seems too dense. Reading aloud I'm finishing up The Measure of a Man (I love what he says the measure of a man is) and starting The Secret Garden.

Caine Mutiny - one of my all time favorite books, the one I read was written by Herman Wouk.

Barbara, me too! I've reread this more than 10 times over the years. I still see some new nuance in certain characters or situation each time, depending on my emotional state and what personal issue I'm faced with at the time.

Just finished Grisham's Playing for Pizza and Hosseini's The Kite Runner.

Chopstix, how'd you like Playing for Pizza? I've been thinking about reading it.

This afternoon I finished Beverly Cleary's juvenile piece, Henry Huggins. I'm sending it to our 7-year-old grandson for his Valentine's Day birthday. He lives in Georgia, which means we don't see him very often. I wanted to read the book so we could talk about it as he reads it.

Actually, it's a very cute book. It's the first one in a series and great fun to read. Even by a "big person." I highly recommend it to parents who have young children who love to read. Even for children who aren't fond of reading because the story is quite captivating and might spark an interest in a reluctant reader.

12 Second Sequence by Jorge Cruise. It's about combining the right amount of good carbs and protein to stay fit. He also tells you that "You Are WHEN You Eat". He mentions that many people wait hours until they're so hungry to eat then they end up eating excessively. He provides a program to eat a combination of protein, whole grains, vegetables and fruits every 3 hours. I love this book.

I've just finished reading the whole of the Harry Potter Series and am going to start on Pride and Prejudice. I absolutely loved the movie but I am more of a book person.

I tried to get behind the Harry Potter stuff, just couldn't get into it at all. The kids didn't like at all either. But like me they loved LOR.

Chopstix, how'd you like Playing for Pizza? I've been thinking about reading it.

Hi Katie, the book is light reading as how Grisham's last few novels have been. It's definitely not The Firm, nor A Painted House. But you'll like it if you are into any of the book's three key elements: Italy's Parma area, regional Italian food (think Parma ham and parmeggiano), and American football.

I hear his latest book, The Appeal, is excellent and marks his return to the legal suspense/drama genre that he became famous for.;)

My daughter swears by "Atonement"---says it's one of the best written books that she's read recently. A friend on a recent trip back to K. was without books and I loaned her Atonement and I could see her not putting it down once. When she gave it back to me last week she agreed that it was a great book and better than the movie. Now it's in the hands of another friend who so far is engrossed. As for myself I'm already reading two other books so I don't have time for it. But when I do I'll let you know---but I've heard from many people and their assessment is that it is better than the movie.

I am reading Cell, by Stephen King. It is a hard one to put down! I find myself looking at people on cell phones a little differently now! *shudder!!*

:)Barbara

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I heard about it from my bf, he said people in his office were talking about it and how funny it was. This particular book by Bill Bryson is called "A Walk in the Woods" and tells about his actual trip hiking the Appalachian Trail, and his un-natural fear of bears and while on the trail meets a bizarre assortment of hilarious characters.

Also, has anybody checked out the new Kindle from Amazon. I got one for a present for Christmas and love it. You simply set up your payment method on amazon and click one button to purchase then transfer it over to the kindle and you have all your books stored on this electronic reader. It also allows you to shop on Amazon, play music, and store books onto a memory card and receive daily newspapers. Just wondering what you think of it?

Back
Top Bottom