Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul was another good one
I was never able to get into that one. I must have started it at least 20 or more times, but was never able to get more than a couple of chapters in.

My favorite is still Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. I love the part where he describes the biggest problem of time travel is knowing which tense to use.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is one of the most extraordinary ventures in the entire history of catering. It has been built on the fragmented remains of... it will be built on the fragmented... that is to say it will have been built by this time, and indeed has been—

One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of accidentally becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem involved in becoming your own father or mother that a broad minded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is no problem about changing the course of history—the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is quite simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most leaders get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later editions of the book all the pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.

To resume:

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is one of the most extraordinary ventures in the entire history of Catering.

It is built on the fragmented remains of an eventually ruined planet which is (wioll haven be) enclosed in a vast time bubble and projected forward in time to the precise moment of the End of the Universe.

This is, many would say, impossible.

In it, guests take (willan on take) their places at table and eat (willan on eat) sumptuous meals while watching (willing watchen) the whole of creation explode around them.

This, many would say, is equally impossible.

You can arrive (mayan arrivan on when) for any sitting you like without prior (late fore when) reservation because you can book retrospectively, as it were when you return to your own time (you can have on-book haventa forewhen presooning returningwenta retrohome).

This is, many would now insist, absolutely impossible.

At the Restaurant you can meet and dine with (mayan meetan con with dinan on when) a fascinating cross-section of the entire population of space and time.

This, it can be explained patiently, is also impossible.

You can visit it as many times as you like (mayan on-visit re onvisiling... and so on—for further tense correction consult Dr. Streetmentioner's book) and be sure of never meeting yourself, because of the embarrassment this usually causes.

This, even if the rest were true, which it isn't, is patently impossible, say the doubters.

All you have to do is deposit one penny in a savings account in your own era, and when you arrive at the End of Time the operation of compound interest means that the fabulous cost of your meal has been paid for.

This, many claim, is not merely impossible but clearly insane, which is why the advertising executives of the star system of Bastablon came up with this slogan: "If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?"

Got more books from the Library today. Probably will start tonight with an autobiography :My First Five Husbands by Rue McClanahan

Just finished "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and am currently on "Snow Crash" my Neal Stephenson.

GB and Mav would like Good Omens since they like Hitchhiker's Guide. We listened to Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency on a recent car trip and that was good too.

The Murder Book, patrica cornwell

babe:ermm::ermm:

Is that a new one of hers ? I have read all her books but haven't seen The Murder Book. I went to her website , it seems a book called The Front is the latest. Also I did not see The Murder Book listed at all . :ermm:

Last edited:
The Murder Book, patrica cornwell

babe:ermm::ermm:

boy is my face red. it is called the book of the dead. i was to lazy to go look. so often i have no clue to title of what i am reading.

a friend has a book business on ebay and gives me books to read and return.

i read about five a month, so is hard to keep them straight. sorry:blush::blush:

babe:ohmy::ohmy:

boy is my face red. it is called the book of the dead. i was to lazy to go look. so often i have no clue to title of what i am reading.

a friend has a book business on ebay and gives me books to read and return.

i read about five a month, so is hard to keep them straight. sorry:blush::blush:

babe:ohmy::ohmy:

It's okay, not a problem. ;) I thought I missed a book of hers. Nice friend to lent you books to read. My friend is the library. ;)

yes it saves me lots of time and money. i used to go to library as well before she started this business. she gathers them from many sources and sells them. mostly hard backs.babe

I got way behind with my food and wine magazines this spring because I was concentrating on reading for my thesis. Now, I am reading the back issues of Food Arts, Sante, Tasting Room, Specialty Foods and the other trades I receive evey month! :)

I don't have the money to buy new books right now, so I just read my Harry Potter books over and over. LOL

no complaints, I love them! I have seen the movies probably about 30 times each..

DW got me America Alone by Mark Steyn and Bobby Flay's Grill It! for Fathers Day, so technically I started with Bobby Flay's book in prep for grilling season. I am way behind as the patio has still not been cleared off so I can use the grill. Been kinda delayed for health reasons but looking forward to getting it going this week!
I will probably start the other one in a day or two, I am saving it in case I get sent back into the hospital again so I have something to read!

While I normally read books written for adults, I do like to read books written for young adults now and then. I fell in love with Margaret Peterson Haddix's writing when I read her first novel, Running Out of Time, to my class. Later I read Among the Hidden (1st in the "Shadow Children" series) to my class and the second in the series, Among the Imposters, myself. I have been wanting to see how the series progressed, so I bought all seven of them a couple weeks ago. I just reread Running Out of Time and the first two of the series and am now on the third, Among the Betrayed. I would recommend them to anyone. She does not write down to children. They are a quick read but hold an adult's attention. The premise behind the "Shadow Children" series is that there has been a huge worldwide famine, and the government (no country is ever named--it is sometime in the near future, and the government is totalitarian) has passed a law that no family may have more than two children. Shadow children are illegal third (or even fourth, etc.) children who have to hide from the government, but shortly after the first story begins, some of them, who secretly communicate by computer, start planning to change the laws.

Sheesh! I didn't mean to write a book about it, but I just wanted to say that if you like mild suspense (she tackles heavy subjects, but in a way that is still appropriate for young teens) without bad language, these books might be just the ticket for you. :cool:

:)Barbara
Over the last few days I have finished the 4th in this series, Among the Barons, the 5th, Among the Brave, and the 6th, Among the Enemy. I will finish the last book in the series, Among the Free, tomorrow. I have thoroughly enjoyed these books!

:)Barbara

I am such a prolific reader that I have an intimate relationship with my library. Like babetoo, I read so much that I usually cannot remember titles and authors. I also read aloud to a blind friend and one whose RA is so severe that holding up a book and turning the pages is difficult. I'm reading The Story of English to them, but also bring up a book of things like famous quotes or proverbs or some such, and now a French/English crossword puzzle book. For myself I'm reading The Witch of Portobello. I'm not overly impressed with it so far.

I'm almost finished with Heiress by Janet Dailey. Typically predictable pap and I can't wait to get done. I don't know what I was thinking when I checked it out, but I started it and will finish hopefully today. Before that I read Rhett Butler's People and DID NOT want it to be over! Highly recommend it to anyone who loved "Gone With the Wind"

I'm reading "Culinary Bootcamp" about someone's experience at the 5 day training sessions offered by CIA.

Back
Top Bottom