Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't seem to figure out how to quote RP but I just started this book last night so haven't really formed an opinion except that I'd love to participate in a culinary bootcamp . . . I think!

I am suddenly obsessed with gardening.... flowers and produce alike. I am making my way thru 2 books, Burpee's Complete Veg. and herb gardening, also Better Homes and Gardens complete Flower and Veg gardening.
Someone may need to stop me..... I have visions of covering all of my 5 acres with something or other!!! :)

I was never able to get into that one. I must have started it at least 20 or more times, but was never able to get more than a couple of chapters in.

My favorite is still Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. I love the part where he describes the biggest problem of time travel is knowing which tense to use.
ok most of you know that I love verbiage as most of us wind tunnels do and GB this is definitely a book for me....thanks for sharing.........:ROFLMAO:

yep, I'll be leaving on a jetplane next Tuesday to go back to the land of tulips, apples and horses and Ghenghis Khan.................will be looking out for good reads....do love history, however..........what a wierdo.........

Finding My Place At The New Orleans Table by Sara Rohan. The author, originally from Wisconsin, relocated to New Orleans with her med student husband. She'd been a line cook up north, took a job with a weekly paper in New Orleans as a food critic. The book, broken into chapters such as Gumbo, Sazerac, Red Gravy, Sno-Balls, etc details her introduction to New Orleans cuisine, culture and society. Her journey takes place pre and post Katrina. It meanders through back yards and 5 star hotels. It is not a cookbook, but reading it, you seriously want to cook and or eat.

If you've ever visited New Orleans, this book is a must read. If you've never been, but want to be a fly on the wall, you'll love this book.

No. I won't write until I move there next year. By then I should have it memorized. :LOL: The way I see it, if I'm going to hang out in his kitchen, I might as well know what he's talking about. :)

At the moment I'm in a "make my brain stop working" phase, so I'm reading what's turned out to be an addictive Fantasy series called "The Eldarn Sequence" by Robert Scott and Jay Gordon. Jay Gordon passed away a year or so back, so I'm curious to see what book 3 (the last in the series) is going to be like. The story combines current reality based in Colorado and a fantasy world, and it's very well written. Am re-reading book 1 before I step into book 2.

I just finished a book called Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. Absolutely unique book, sort of a mystery, but much much more because of the clever way it is written. I highly recommend it.

I just started Animal,Vegetable,Miracle - A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
She and her family moved from Tucson to an Appalachian farm that had been in her husbands family for over 100 yrs.
They decided to eat only what they grew or raised, or what they could buy from local growers for 1 year.
So far its pretty good.

I have read 7 books since May but I just discovered an auther that I will read for a long time. Carl Hiaasen. His "Double Whammy" is a very good, witty murder mystery. He has about 10 books so I will be reading him for a long time. There is "language" so if you're easily offended, (I could care less about the language) be forewarned. His characters are a riot and his writing style is superb.

Question: Has anyone read Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth"? I tried to read it and found the intense cruelty too much for me. I don't know how far those scenes went into the book but it was a turn off for me. Did anyone else find the cruelty too much???

Last edited:
I am reading book 10 of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, the Slippery Slope. The story isn't all that interesting. But I LOVE the writing style! It's quite humorous.

DQ, I love Carl Hiassen's books! I've read them all, and eagerly await the next one. I have not read Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth (although I saw a copy in Spanish the other day), but I just finished reading his The Hammer of Eden. Interesting premise, moderate violence/cruelty, not a great book. Started out very slow and built up to a page-turner finish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom