Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Over the last couple days I have bought several books at little shops and yard sales ($1.00 for some paperbacks, 50 cents for most of them, and $1.00 and 50 cents for some hard cover books), including a few by Stephen King and John Saul, and one or two by Dean Koontz, Robin Cook, and a few others. So, what am I reading now? Another kid's book! When I was a kid, one of my favorite books was "A Room For Cathy," by Catherine Wooley, so when I found a sequel to it yesterday, "Cathy Leonard Calling," I just had to get it! The writing is not that great, and the story-line is fairly preposterous, but I find myself back in my childhood when I read it!

:)Barbara

Yeah, I know how you feel, Barbara.........I have some favorites, too, and when I reread them ........oh, well, you know.........

Just finished reading Colin Martin's "Welcome to H-ll--One Man's Fight for Life Inside the Bangkok Hilton".........it's an international bestseller (paperback) and was difficult to read at times.......he was accused of a crime that he didn't commit (according to him) and spent 8 years of squalor and brutality fighting a corrupt prison system. He finally was released thru an amnesty program. He lost everything (wife, children, home, business, and half a million to a swindler).....and yet he hung on despite his gut feelings at times to end it all...........

I agree with the comments about Stephen King - I enjoy his books, but like Barbara, couldn't get into the Dark Tower series. My daughter has told me over and over that I should read them. I loved Lisey's Story, one of his latest in paperback. I'm currently reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Wonderful book.

I've heard some good comments about Lisey's Story. Is it worth reading? Loved Water for Elephants.

Cujo sounds good.. I have heard about that one before. Might order it :D

It's an oldie but goodie, one of King's better suspense stories. The ending is different in the movie and I will tell you about it after you read the book. I'm sure your library will have it.

I just read two very interesting books this week; The 19th Wife and The Lace Reader. Both were very unusual novels. I have to tell you I got the most enormous laugh out of the fact that the Catholic Church turned The Da Vinci Code into a much more money-maker than if they'd have ignored it. Remembering living in Utah as a teen, I can't help but wonder if the LDS church will turn The 19th Wife into a best-seller rather than just ignore it?

I'm just now stumbling across this thread. Agree with recent comments about Cujo and The Stand. Years ago was an avid King reader but the idea of a haunted car turned me off so stopped when Christine came out. I'm sure I've missed a lot of great reads.

I'm now reading The Book of Virtues by William Bennet. It's an anthology of great short reads, mostly for children but includes Shakespere and Thomas Jefferson as well as Aesop and Hans Christian Anderson. I highly recomend it to parents, grandparents and anyone who wants to remember their favorite childhood stories and discover the classics they might have missed.

Just finished Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson. Glad I read it but, except for an interesting but simple explanation of relativity and a suprisingly simple-minded conception of God, it wasn't worth the effort.

I'm just now stumbling across this thread. Agree with recent comments about Cujo and The Stand. Years ago was an avid King reader but the idea of a haunted car turned me off so stopped when Christine came out. I'm sure I've missed a lot of great reads.

I'm now reading The Book of Virtues by William Bennet. It's an anthology of great short reads, mostly for children but includes Shakespere and Thomas Jefferson as well as Aesop and Hans Christian Anderson. I highly recomend it to parents, grandparents and anyone who wants to remember their favorite childhood stories and discover the classics they might have missed.

Just finished Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson. Glad I read it but, except for an interesting but simple explanation of relativity and a suprisingly simple-minded conception of God, it wasn't worth the effort.

Christine was probably one of King's best books too. I loved it. The intensity was "edge of your seat" stuff. Of course it's fantasy, with few exceptions all of King's works are fantasy but this one is good. I read this one about 10 years ago. At the begining of each chapter, King quotes the first few lines of songs that were popular in the 60's since the car is a '63 Plymouth. While I was reading the words to "Run Around Sue" the song came on the radio at the same time. Absolutely freaked me out. I'll never forget it.

The movie is very good, catch it on Netflix or Blockbuster if you can.

hello fellow readers

i read a lot of stephen king stuff when i was younger. thought he was the best then and remember many of the stories as being gripping and scary. i have not been on much of a horror kick lately though. just wanted to ask if any of you have read books by the author christopher moore? i found the book lamb to be one of my favorite reads ever. it is not for those who can't make light of their own belifes but is a great book at heart. the rest of his stuff is still fun and in the same style but having passed lamb along to people from 80yrs of age to 20yrs i have yet to find someone who did not find themselves touched by it. thanks for any replies and am always looking for new reads.

I'm not deep..........so I read whatever I want to..........pretty much a mish mash though I really don't care for sc-fi or fantasy......my DH takes up that end of it........he's never given up his books so we have millions and I'm willing to part with some of mine.......the landlady gave us 3 shelves of bookcases to add to only add to his collections.......I actually resent her.........it only enables him......

I'm not deep..........so I read whatever I want to..........pretty much a mish mash though I really don't care for sc-fi or fantasy......my DH takes up that end of it........he's never given up his books so we have millions and I'm willing to part with some of mine.......the landlady gave us 3 shelves of bookcases to add to only add to his collections.......I actually resent her.........it only enables him......

Since I'm a firm believer that books are meant to be read not stored, I pass on all of my books or donate them to the local library if they're purchased by me. I never read a book twice and have stopped buying them since my library carries or can order any book I want. You might want to talk your husband into donating his books. Hospitals and libraries would love to have them.

I like to re-read some stuff, but I also share a lot of my books.

I read W.Michael & Kathleen Gear, Terry Goodkind, Pauline Gedge regularly. I will read pretty much anything you put in front of me, but those are the authors I read consistently. I also like Sarah Waters and Jean M. Auel. By far one of the most influencial books I have read and re-read, and given away and re-bought about 5 times is Anthony De Mello's Awareness. This book opened my eyes up to a whole new world.

Well, when you hit Alzheimers.......any book is always a new experience.....jest kidding...nope.......I 've tried to talk him out of his collections.......I guess some of them are collector items by now........he drives me crazy........if I had kept every book that I ever owned we'd be looking at millions.........instead of his thousands.........and then you add debate daughter to it and then you're really looking at millions.........the stuff she reads...........

Christine was probably one of King's best books too. I loved it. The intensity was "edge of your seat" stuff. Of course it's fantasy, with few exceptions all of King's works are fantasy but this one is good. I read this one about 10 years ago. At the begining of each chapter, King quotes the first few lines of songs that were popular in the 60's since the car is a '63 Plymouth. While I was reading the words to "Run Around Sue" the song came on the radio at the same time. Absolutely freaked me out. I'll never forget it.

The movie is very good, catch it on Netflix or Blockbuster if you can.

I watched some of the Carrie movie a few nights ago actually, it was really really great. I'm sad I didn't record it but I was too tired!

I've been reading old Reader's Digest Condensed books. The books came from deceased brother in law's house.

LC, some of them are really quite good.....just depends on who the editor is and how much they abridged the book.........was turned on to several authors because of RD condensed books........I'd forgotten about them....thanks for reminding me...actually except for a few coffee table books those are the only books that you will find in my sister-in-law's house and I know that she's never read them.......how can you only own 10 books in your whole lifetime????? The biggest brag that she and her brother made was that at the 4 years of being at Texas A&M neither one of them had checked a book out of the library.........oh, my goodness, that's something to brag about...........don't get me wrong......they are smart but dumb at the same time..... I love them to death, however ..... but when we go their houses I always make sure that I have a stack of books to keep me company..........unless I want to read a boating magazine (nothing wrong with that---no plot, however) I'm on my own......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom