Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm reading, albeit somewhat slowly, Riven by Jerry B. Jenkins. It's a good read, but not really the style I like. It's written where at the beginning of the book there are multiple distinct story lines, and later on they all come crashing together. It almost seems like this is the new style of writing, because I've found other books (we're talking fiction here) with similar styles.

For those that aren't familiar with Jenkins, he is a co-author of the Left Behind series, as well as many other religiously themed books.

Got more books at the library. I am reading one called Dewey by Vicki Myron. It's a real story about a cat who lived at a library in Iowa.

I'm reading, albeit somewhat slowly, Riven by Jerry B. Jenkins. It's a good read, but not really the style I like. It's written where at the beginning of the book there are multiple distinct story lines, and later on they all come crashing together. It almost seems like this is the new style of writing, because I've found other books (we're talking fiction here) with similar styles.

For those that aren't familiar with Jenkins, he is a co-author of the Left Behind series, as well as many other religiously themed books.
I've read all the Left Behind books. I will have to look for Riven at the library.

I just don't read much fiction...........I like history, bios and autobios..........I know weird.......I do have a lot of good literature, though,..........my daughter read most of them while in high school.......never told me, though.........I discovered it quite by accident.........ok, she's weird, too..............

I think Jude should never have gotten involved with Arabella (hah)
I love Thomas Hardy, he is (was) a brilliant poet.
A bit difficult sometimes, very descriptive, so much so that I can read a paragraph a couple of times to understand his meaning.
CONCENTRATE CHEF MALONEY!!!

I haven't read it but you've got me intrigued as l like Thomas Hardy......I will NOT read descriptive passages............they can describe a tree until the dawn of time.............it will not be read more than once and usually with flickering eyelids..............

Read Thomas Hardy: 'Tess of the D'urbervilles' or 'Far From the Madding Crowd' or The Trumpet Major' or 'A Pair of Blue Eyes'
Actually I have read Jude the Obscure years ago (30 years ago) when I was in school.
I cannot find anything else of his to read but the above are some of my favorites.

talk about a ponderous read.......if you really want to go snail's pace read "Lorna Doone"---yeah, as in the cookies.............was assigned that in 7th grade and never did finish it and I love to read............each time the teacher tried to ask me questions some major interruption occurred.......I honestly believe it was by divine will.......even the angels hated the book........the librarian, who was my buddy, couldn't believe that I was assigned such a book to read in the first place.......finally after the 3rd interruption the teacher gave up.............and went on to another student........

Dean Koontz

I'm currently reading DARK RIVERS OF THE HEART (1994) by Dean Koontz. :chef:

I'm reading When the Mississippi Ran Backwards by Jay Feldman. It's about the New Madrid earthquake that occurred in 1812 and other historical events in that area. Amazing story. It's of particular interest to me because I live on the New Madrid Fault and we've had several earthquakes since we moved here in 1994.

I just started....GRANNY DAN by Danielle Steel
PARADISE by Toni Morrison
and THE READER by Bernhard Schlink

Long term reading: "What to Eat" by Dr. Marian Nestle.
Reading for review: "Fish Without a Doubt," by Rick Moonen and Roy Finamore
Reading for edification: The Esther Stories" by Peter Orner

The Morrison and the Schlink from your list, pds, are on my "to-do" list. :)

talk about a ponderous read.......if you really want to go snail's pace read "Lorna Doone"---yeah, as in the cookies.............was assigned that in 7th grade and never did finish it and I love to read............each time the teacher tried to ask me questions some major interruption occurred.......I honestly believe it was by divine will.......even the angels hated the book........the librarian, who was my buddy, couldn't believe that I was assigned such a book to read in the first place.......finally after the 3rd interruption the teacher gave up.............and went on to another student........

sounds like you're describing my nemeses... "Ivanhoe" by Walter Scott and Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens. Couldn't get through either of them. :wacko:

How funny. I read the book about the Mississippi running backwards a couple of years ago. Not something I really thought I'd like, but it is very interesting that the entire course of history was changed. I'm thinking of reading it again because my husband loved it and refers back to it and I cannot remember a lot of it.

My blind friend was interested in a book called Galway Bay, and we started it this week. I'm reading Honeymoon in Tehran and The Heat of the Moon at the moment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom