Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just Bento, By Makiko Itoh. I just ordered a Japanese book for learning to read and speak Japanese and another Japanese cookbook, it has it's recipes in English and Japanese.

A book set in early 1900's Cairo - The Mamur Zapt and the Men Behind by Michael Pearce. It's a series - I previously read The Camel of Destruction, and The Snake Charmer's Daughter. Lots of local color and a peek into the timeless culture of Egypt.

I'm also reading a series set in Egypt but it's the late 1880's. Archeologists are the main characters but of course that would be boring so it gets spiced up with intrigue. The first one I read was The Last Camel died at Noon and I just finished The Mummy Case. The series is by Elizabeth Peters.

Last edited:
Finally, after many long years, I'm rereading one of my very favorite books, A Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein!

I recently read Made From Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life by Jenna Woginrich. It was a good read; clever and informative.

Sounds good. I just got done with a book series from author "Mitch album" I can't say enough good about his books. Check him out on-line.

Dance For The Dead

I'm reading DANCE FOR THE DEAD (1996) by Thomas Perry. This is the second book in his Jane Whitefield series where the protagonist helps people disappear. There are only six books in this series.

I've read five books by Thomas Perry. They've all been very engrossing.

I'm reading DANCE FOR THE DEAD (1996) by Thomas Perry. This is the second book in his Jane Whitefield series where the protagonist helps people disappear. There are only six books in this series.

I've read five books by Thomas Perry. They've all been very engrossing.

That sounds like my kind of series. Thanks. I will check them all out at the library very soon.

I'm also reading a series set in Egypt but it's the late 1880's. Archeologists are the main characters but of course that would be boring so it gets spiced up with intrigue. The first one I read was The Last Camel died at Noon and I just finished The Mummy Case. The series is by Elizabeth Peters.

I think I'll order up an Elizabeth Peters from my library and see if the 'flavor' of her old Cairo is much different between the two time periods. It should be an interesting comparison even though the years between are not that many in the great scheme of things.

Even though I grumble at all this new technology, having access at my fingertips to the library's entire catalog, being able to choose a book and have it sent to my local branch for me to pick up - Free! - well, it's pretty darned nice. :)

I really enjoy the library also. I feel lik a kid in a candy store. Finally some peace & quiet to get away from everything for awhile.

I just picked up a book called The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian.

Tinlizzie, I was about to say you shouldn't need to order it from the library, there should be a dozen or more books on the shelf by Peters. I love them. But then I remembered that some places in Florida (my sis) you can order the books and have them delivered! I'd actually see if I could find out which are the first books in the series, because they're more fun to read that way.

I live in a small town, and am (for me, in decent weather) enjoying walking to the library and having a relationship with my librarians. But my sister's description of what you're doing? Wow. I love to browse the shelves, and I can call or go on-line and order a book and have it waiting. But pick up and delivery?

Last edited:
Skeleton creek series by Patrick Carmen. After every chapter there's a video too look up on-line.

Tinlizzie, I was about to say you shouldn't need to order it from the library, there should be a dozen or more books on the shelf by Peters. I love them. But then I remembered that some places in Florida (my sis) you can order the books and have them delivered! I'd actually see if I could find out which are the first books in the series, because they're more fun to read that way.

I live in a small town, and am (for me, in decent weather) enjoying walking to the library and having a relationship with my librarians. But my sister's description of what you're doing? Wow. I love to browse the shelves, and I can call or go on-line and order a book and have it waiting. But pick up and delivery?

I'm sorry - I wasn't very clear - didn't mean to mislead you. My local branch is small and has a limited selection. At the County's library website, I can browse or order a specific title online and have it sent to my branch from any other branch in the County (as long as the title is in the system) for me to pick up there.

I appreciate your note about starting at the beginning of the series; I'll bet I can ferret out the earliest by looking at the book descriptions online for publication dates.

Driving some extra miles, I can visit the larger regional branch for more productive on-the-shelf browsing - more fun than the mall any day. ;)

Back
Top Bottom