"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Wow, kadesma. I'd love to be able to cook like you do. What are some of your favorite and well used cookbooks? I feel like I'm in such a rut. We always seem to eat the same foods.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:16 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Cora,
I love The way to cook by Julia Child, and Everyday Italian, Giada De Laurentis, I use many many of my mother in laws family recipes. I take the old pesto of hers and add my grandmothers bowl of sweet ripe tomatoes from her garden, she would chop them in a coarse chop and dress them with a little evoo and a touch of vinegar and we'd spoon them over the pesto, that and a little fried chicken with wine, garlic, and rosemary, some bread bingo, dinner... I also Like the Jacques Pepin, Cooking with Claudine...Much of what I try to do is just things I've seen march by me in restaurants and then I ask what was that and try doing it at home. I like to try all kinds of things and use the grocery store as a picture show. I make a point of taking my time looking at meats and produce and wondering what would go well with each other, I try to buy, chicken, fish, beef, pork, beans, and then fill in with veggies, salads, pastas and starches. Colors,flavors, run through my head. How would this chicken taste with??? That's all I do. It's fascination with foods themselves and the challenge of making my family happy. Oh, I never take a menu from a cookbook, and most times I glance at the book see a thing like say steaks with blue cheese and I put the book away and shop either in the store or my refrigerator and pantry.
kadesma

Old 07-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

Kadesma, your devotion to your family, love of cooking, creativity, and organizational skills are down right amazing.

I think you ought to write a cookbook.

(In your spare time... )
Old 07-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Whoa, how I missed this thread... Let me join in belatedly to pay my tribute to everyone's favourite chef/grandma/ma!!

You certainly have a way to create some amazing things in the kitchen, and a way with the little ones... I wish Guido could meet you, he is one of the world's fussiest little eater, stubborn as a mule to boot, but somehow I am sure that you will find a way to open up his tastebuds... (hey, you said you loved a challenge!! )

What would be your suggestion for a kids like him?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

licia,
I have one of those kids too. Cade use to eat everything and anything til mommy and daddy gave him his first fast foods. Then things hit the fan. I now am dealing with a kid who ddoesn't like anything green except peas, won't consider fruit in any way shape or form unless I make him a smoothie. He loves chix nuggets, mrxican rice, fried rice, pasta with parm and cream and butter and slice after slice of any type of bread..Sooo, I have worked hard to get him to at least take a bite of things, I've gotten him to eat broccoli, beans, and am working on tomatoes. I got him away from fast food chix by making Paula Deens nuggets with the crushed potatoe chips, I had him help me, I put the chips in a baggie and let him beat the heck out of em and then dunk his chix, now I've switched to panko which he doesn't yet realize and he still does the dunking and loves it. The other two boys eat with both hands and Carson, comes in in the morning and first thing wants to look at the counter and stove to see what's for breakfast I think if I continue to let Cade help with food prep, he will be more inclined to eat it. He now makes his own pbj sammies and pours his own milk andknows just hat goes into chocolate chip cookies so there is hope. But, it's something I feel you have to keep after or they revert to not wanting anything but junk. It takes a lot of patience,and love, but, you've got that and I think you can bring Guido around..Take the things he does like, make them more or less his way and encourage him to try all kinds of things.

kadesma
Old 07-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Kadesma, your devotion to your family, love of cooking, creativity, and organizational skills are down right amazing.

I think you ought to write a cookbook.

(In your spare time... )
Connie, if you could see this house and the kitchen counter, you'd run screaming in fear I love to cook and am picky about that, but I fly by the seat of my pants with everything else!!! Me coobook? sparetime

kadesma
Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Thanks so much CJ for your advice!! Wow, I would have never guessed Cade was the fussy one of all your kids!!
Yes, I noticed with his bigger sister when she joins in with our cooking, she is more willing to try new things and much less finicky. We haven't tried this tactics with Guido, he is one of those hyperactive tasmanian devils, I get a bit too nervous about letting him do something in the kitchen where hot stoves and sharp knives aren't so far away from his reach. But maybe I can start him with something very simple, like cutting out cookies etc. That maybe worth a try... he is now almost 7 and half, he should be old enough for things like that, let alone starting to eat variety of foods!!

Thanks again for the wisdom of Ma!!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #18
Master Chef

sorry, guys, kads already adopted me & my felines.
i suppose we may find room for you in our new family; until then, sorry. kads is my new 2nd Mom.