Keeping away the skunks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or a poodle, an anaconda, a large ducimer...sounds like the 8 inch gap might be an issue.

i don't know if you figured out how to make the garage "skunk unfriendly" but in wildlife rehab, it is recommended:
1. Ascertain there are no baby skunks.
2. Seal off openings with hardware cloth.
3. Skunks don't climb, they actually can't, but they do dig so burying wire is a good thing.
4. Of the odor deterents, household amonina is recommended. If you have old towels, teeshirts, etc. Soak those in a bucket of amonina (I'd do it outside) and then place the towels as close to the area where the skunk enters and again where it nests.
5. Skunks have notorious bad eyesight, so any visual deterent, won't work.
6. You can leave the light on and play a radio (rock music) to also make the garage skunk unfriendly.
7. Mothballs are not recommended.

Tried and true, the amonina does work.

is that an antelope crossed with a jackson pollock or is my pun just a load of old pollocks , which I wish I owned as I am a great fanny.

Um, nope! Here's a fact card for them:

Attachments

• jackalope_card.jpg
    jackalope_card.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 211
I have not tried it, but I know of several members on another forum who say a transistor radio tuned into a rock station will drive them away if they have taken up residence under a building. Something about the sound waves.
I like this idea. For months I've been trying to get rid of a skunk that has taken up shelter in our basement which is only accessible from a separate outdoor vented entry.

I will also try ammonia.

Last edited:
They say it doesn't even need turned up loud, Road.
With the skinks around here, I have been fortunate enough not to have to try it. Maybe me having three dogs in the house is making them think twice.

For a small fee, PAG, I would be willing to come to the UP and sing rock tunes in your garage. I can then guarantee that NOTHING will want to be in that space, or anywhere else close by.

I take requests. RF, basement will cost you a bit more.

Last edited:
Dawgluver said:
For a small fee, PAG, I would be willing to come to the UP and sing rock tunes in your garage. I can then guarantee that NOTHING will want to be in that space, or anywhere else close by.

I take requests. RF, basement will cost you a bit more.

Hmmm, you've given me an idea. I once had this roomate who thought she could sing. Then one day she heard a recording of herself. I could probably get away with cooking her dinner for payment.

pacanis said:
They say it doesn't even need turned up loud, Road.
With the skinks around here, I have been fortunate enough not to have to try it. Maybe me having three dogs in the house is making them think twice.

Skinks? Do you have that many lizards? Lizards are cool, was not aware they got rid of skunks though. I can see where the dogs would help.

We have a live trap back by the garden and expect the skunk or racoon that is scoping out our corn to jump in it sometime this next few days. I'd lend you a trap but we are too far away from you, and, you'd have to dispatch it once you caught it in the trap (can you do that?).

I looked up some nuisance control in your area and found this, I hope that helps.
Wildlife Management Nuisance Removal - Michigan Bats Raccoons Skunks

Skunks are nocturnal, and actually friendly. Light is your best bet, lots of bright as you can light.

A coupla years ago, DH was leaving for work in the dark - around 6:00 a.m., and he called the dog, a Golden to let her out. I was still sleeping. The skunk was known to come toward DH in the past - just being friendly, but when the dog saw the skunk she evidently thought it would be fun to play. The skunk - not so much. Hilarity ensued. The skunk sprayed the dog, who raced through the house, ran upstairs, jumped on the bed with MY BATTENBERG duvet cover on it, and did a dance, scared the dickens out of me, with my husband running after Dog and screaming his head off. I debated who to kill first. ;) The dog and husband were wiser, and we got a motion light - that took care of it.

Purple.........how is the skunk doing? (did you check out the nuisance control link? it is called the 'skunkwhisperer'!)

We actually have two live traps out by the garden this past few days. Last night, before 'trapper' got home, I put a 12 inch stuffed moose in one of the traps, just because :LOL::LOL:
I sat out there with my camera waiting for him to see his catch--but he didn't notice! I came back in the house then, later, and told him he better check out his traps. He was quite proud when he finally got out there to see it.:LOL::LOL: Life is too short not to laugh.

He put fresh marshmallows in the traps.
This morning we had a raccoon in the trap, he took care of it this morning before work.

Purple.........how is the skunk doing? (did you check out the nuisance control link? it is called the 'skunkwhisperer'!)

We actually have two live traps out by the garden this past few days. Last night, before 'trapper' got home, I put a 12 inch stuffed moose in one of the traps, just because :LOL::LOL:
I sat out there with my camera waiting for him to see his catch--but he didn't notice! I came back in the house then, later, and told him he better check out his traps. He was quite proud when he finally got out there to see it.:LOL::LOL: Life is too short not to laugh.

He put fresh marshmallows in the traps.
This morning we had a raccoon in the trap, he took care of it this morning before work.

I had Shrek chasing mice for about 6 months once...they didn't even exist...but he sure watched the mouse traps and I had him running around with a broom a few times. His pals at work were in on the joke, too...he'd go to work and tell them about the mice.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PrincessFiona60 said:
I had Shrek chasing mice for about 6 months once...they didn't even exist...but he sure watched the mouse traps and I had him running around with a broom a few times. His pals at work were in on the joke, too...he'd go to work and tell them about the mice.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That is so wonderfully evil!

As for our skunk "friend", we haven't seen it since cleaning out the garage and moving the garbage cans away from it. We also made the repellant out of hot peppers and garlic but not sure if it made a difference or if the critter decided to move on to a place that has food AND shelter. Lots of people around here keep bags of garbage in their garage and only put them in the cans for garbage day. That was part of our problem I think. The roomate cleaned out her room and didn't put the bags in the can, she just tossed them in the garage. We didn't know about it until the hubby started prepping it to store stuff.

purple--glad your friendly skunk isn't bothering you anymore. A live trap isn't a bad investment if there are a lot of animals where you live.

PF--funny about the mouse/mice, and the snake, we'd make good neighbors.

We caught a smaller raccoon today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

It rained pretty good the other night and guess who came back to visit? The roomie also put another couple bags of garbage from her room into the garage. We asked her not to do so because of the skunk. We had two empty garbage cans. :glare: Honestly, I don't know why that girl can't figure out how to put her trash in the bin. Is she confused about the lid or something? Sorry, she's been irritating me lately so I'm a little venty.

Anyways, last time the repellant was made the hubby made it while I wasn't home. This time I was home and he made a double batch. I could smell the stuff all the way upstairs and when I walked in the kitchen it made my nose burn. The cat wouldn't go near the kitchen. It's just a temporary solution but I can see why it works. You'd think boiled jalapenos, cayanne pepper, garlic and onion would smell good, but it doesn't. It smells like burning. We're using a light with it this time and we let the landlord know about it so he can find a more permanent solution either now or after we move.

Back
Top Bottom