"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Keeping away the skunks

We have a skunk that likes to use our garage as shelter during bad weather and sometimes at night. (S)he's a pretty mellow creature, hasn't sprayed either the hubby or I even though it's surprised us both a couple times by just suddenly being there. The problem is, we want to start storing some stuff in the garage as we prepare to move and we'd really rather not have the critter in there while doing this. We don't need to get to the new place and start unpacking a bunch of stuff that smells like skunk. We don't want to hurt the creature, just get it to stop using our garage. Anybody have any suggestions?

I've seen repellant recipes online that called for boiling down an obnoxious number of hot peppers and their seeds to really concentrate the capsaicin and then poor it around wherever you want to repel the skunk but I don't know if that would actually be affective and don't want to waste good hot peppers on it if it's not going to work. Another supposed repellent is to spread human urine in the area but that's just gross and I doubt the hubby is going to want to stand outside and pee all over the garage door. And I'm certainly not going to do it either. So, yeah, if anyone has any TNT methods, please let me know.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Head Chef

The best way would be to seal the building--block any possible entrances with chicken wire. (Be sure Ms. Flower is not in there when you do it!) As far as I know, skunks don't climb, so the barrier would not have to be very high. They do dig, so bend the bottom 6 inches of the fencing outward.

Mothballs or moth crystals might discourage her, and this info from UC-Davis says that ammonia might work--I would buy a bottle and pour it around any entrances to the garage.

Skunks Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Old 07-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

you can always buy or rent a humane trap to catch little pepe le pew, but be sure to rig a tarp or heavy blanket that can be dropped over the trap from a distance, one which is disposable. bait the trap with a halved apple covered in peanut butter.

when caught, drive him a least 5 miles from your home to release him, again very carefully. less than that and he has a good chance of finding his way back.

he might not seem like a problem yet, but when he starts to poop everywhere and may start a family in your garage, he won't be as cute.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Oh it's very cute, from a distance. But I have no delusions that this creature is "good" to have around, at least not in my garage. Out in the woods, sure. In my garage, ummm, no.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Kitty!!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

well yeah, you could pass it off as a cat if you spray paint the white stripes black.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Call your dog officer. If he won't deal with it, he will be able to direct you to where you can get help.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I read years ago, where, if you use a trap, make sure it's low enough so the little dear can't raise her tail to spray. Also read they like cat food or tuna as bait.

Many years ago a colleague had one living under her house. She was frantic, animal control refused to deal with it, and she was really upset coming to work smelling like skunk every day. As were the rest of us. I think they had to go to a motel. I don't recall how they eventually took care of the problem. She was from a very small town with limited community resources. Hopefully animal or pest control can help you if you can't trap her!

Have not seen any ads for a Skunk Whisperer....
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Kitty!!!!
I've never owned a cat that smelled like that.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I'll check with our humane society to see what they say and look into traps. I'll let you guys know if we come up with something else that works.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Maybe I better rethink my kitties...