Keeping your mouth shut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:) How many of you have had a meal at a friends house and wish you could tell them how to make it better or more fantastic by adding this or that or some technique that would make it better. I for one have a hard time not saying something so I KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT and yet I'm dying to give them some input so it can be better. Some friends are open to suggestions but I think most are quite insulted if you try to suggest some other options. So I guess the question is do you try to give some advice or just KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

I have seen a few threads lately that the same thing applies. I'm keeping my mouth shut!

No really, I guess to me it depends on the person. Some people you know that you can give them advice and ideas without being offended, other folks it is a KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT situation. I have friends like that it is just not worth the drama to say anything. They get hurt, and things get blown out of proportion in no time flat.

Me, I welcome the feed back.... it is the only way to learn!

I don't say anything...I've had someone give me the why don't ya, how come your not, I don't appreciate the comments so I don't do it...Not that I'm not tempted:angel:
kadesma

Funny you should mention it, I'm having trouble keeping my mouth shut right NOW!!!
ok but not about food.... exactly....
But yes I really make an effort to keep my mouth shut when eating someone else's food.... even if I know they can take it..... unless they specifically ask what I think.
Just sort of manners I guess.
Plus my mother is the type to give out MUCH UNASKED FOR advice, and I think it's just plain awful to do to someone.

I have seen a few threads lately that the same thing applies. I'm keeping my mouth shut!

No really, I guess to me it depends on the person. Some people you know that you can give them advice and ideas without being offended, other folks it is a KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT situation. I have friends like that it is just not worth the drama to say anything. They get hurt, and things get blown out of proportion in no time flat.

Me, I welcome the feed back.... it is the only way to learn!

:) I agree I also welcome more advise I then take it or ignore it.:):)

Depends on the person, how well I know them, etc. As pointed out some can take it others can't. Myself I often use that as a judge as to whether or not I will get along with someone, I prefer the people that are open to advice and suggestions. I also recognize that is a two way street, LOL. But I figure if they are the kind of person that is open to advice and understands it is take it or leave it as you please, they are probably pretty open about giving it as well and I can take all I can get, LOL.

Ahhh, this is where being a club member biker has its advantages.

Let's say that Whacko Willie didn't use Budweiser on the bratwurst like we told him, and got cheap and used Schlitz.

If it's after labor day, you can use a maple pool cue and knock him straight into the fire pit while basting the pig. Never use an ash cue or bat with it's lighter color.

Even us bikers know not to use white after labor day...

Let's say that Whacko Willie didn't use Budweiser on the bratwurst like we told him, and got cheap and used Schlitz.

If it's after labor day, you can use a maple pool cue and knock him straight into the fire pit while basting the pig. Never use an ash cue or bat with it's lighter color.

Good etiquette is so important these days!!!
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

LOL - but what if Whacko Willie understands and appreciates the fact that Schlitz has a more intense malt flavor than Bud - and that is the flavor he is looking for?

I think that when a friend invites you over for a meal ... they are giving you a gift of the best they can prepare ... be gracious enough to keep your criticisms to yourself and just be grateful for the fact that they thought enough of you to even try to prepare you a meal.

IMHO - hospitality is not only how you treat a guest - it is also how you act as a guest.

Last edited:
In general, most people are intimidated when they cook for me because they know what I do for a living. The fact that they are willing to give it a shot, anyway, always makes me that much more understanding. All I ever hear is "oh, I could never cook for you"....and I always respond "I wish you would, I'd love to try your xyz..."

So, if someone actually does cook for me, I always eat all of it, compliment something specific and thank them graciously. If they actually asked a specific technique question, like a 'how to' question, (how do I cook a lobster?, how do I roll out fresh pasta?, how do I blind bake something?) I'd answer.. But when it comes to flavours or textures, I'd just be complimentary.

if it`s edible and tastes ok, I don`t really care if it`s not the same as I make or would taste better with(out) X,Y or Z.
so Technically I`m never in the position whereby I have to keep my mouth shut.

Michael In FtW said:
I think that when a friend invites you over for a meal ... they are giving you a gift of the best they can prepare ... be gracious enough to keep your criticisms to yourself and just be grateful for the fact that they thought enough of you to even try to prepare you a meal.

IMHO - hospitality is not only how you treat a guest - it is also how you act as a guest.

This needs to be repeated!!........

amen Uncle Bob, Michael said it well

I would never dream of commenting on a friends cooking. It's about the conversation/friendship, not about the food.

Exactly. I am not even tempted to comment at the time. I always appreciate the efforts made on our behalf when someone invites us to dinner. It is not about the food; it is about the company of friends. I do, however, usually say something to DH on the way home, e.g., "why didn't she heat those rolls?" or "That meat was so dry? Why did she overcook it?"

I reckon I, too, would like to make suggestions when at a friend's house for a meal.
I don't. It is not generally accepted in the spirit it is given.
Friendship is too valuable.
However, seein's as I am on a lifetime quest to learn as much as I can about the exquisite mysteries of various cuisines, I am always looking for suggestions and help.
That is the main reason I come here and read and post.
BTW, there are too many folks here to thank individually, so I will say a general THANK YOU to everyone here at DC. I have learned a tremendous amount.

I say nothing, it is their kitchen not mine. This is also professional courtesy: a world class chef will not comment on the ways of a greasy spoon fry cook unless asked for help/advice...the reason? It's not my kitchen, he's the chef.

On the other side, if I'm asked and can make a quick suggestion I will, otherwise I will deflect it for later. And if the cook says, "oh, I can't do that!," well, so be it.

When a Gordon Ramsay goes into a failing restaurant and makes comments to beef it up, he does so with the request of the owners operators. If they choose not to listen to him as the expert consultant, well there is more than one fool in this world.

Gotta add one more thing: when I'm invited to someone's for dinner, I'm invited for the company and the event, not to critique the food. If my friends serve tuna melts and canned beets, that's their business and I will eat what I like of it and enjoy the evening.

Back
Top Bottom