Keepsakes....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
With 11 Grandchildren, Mrs SK and I were discussing the glut of "trace-around-the-hand" Turkey drawings we are about to recieve, as well as the Glitter and Macaroni "art", crayon posters and so on and so forth.

Here is the rub. I cannot bring myself to throw any of this stuff away-I've got boxes and boxes of the stuff. I'm going to need a warehouse before long.

Anyone who has Grandkids or school age kids can relate. Those of you young, childless DC'ers follow this thread-trust me, you will be in the same situation someday.

What does everybody else do with this stuff? I have so much magnotized to the fridge there is no room. But to me, this stuff is priceless!! If our kids don;t figure out how they keep procreating, I am going to run out of room!! :LOL:

Because of space, I only kept a few of Nancy's creations. I took pictures of some of them, as the pictures took much less space but still allowed me to see her work.

:)Barbara

Because of space, I only kept a few of Nancy's creations. I took pictures of some of them, as the pictures took much less space but still allowed me to see her work.

Thats a great idea Barb!! Pretty obvious I'm a newcomer to the digital world!!

Thats a great idea Barb!! Pretty obvious I'm a newcomer to the digital world!!
LOL They didn't have digital cameras when Nancy was little, but even regular photographs didn't take up nearly as much space as some of the art projects.

Because of space, I only kept a few of Nancy's creations.

lol barbara, just what do you do with the rest of it?

:(

this post made me realize that my parents, grandparents to 17, chuck a lot of stuff away.

this, along with michael's post of "fins in tins" has convinced me that giving (edible) food as a gift is far better since it only sticks around for about 8 to 12 hours.

besides, as foodies the lot, teaching children how to prepare said edibles, then giving them away is a value added benefit beyond compare.

I have a cork board on one of the walls in my kitchen which I use to hang grandson's early crayon drawings , he was around 5 or 6. I keep it there forever because it says : I love grandma
Grandson will be 12 in Dec.

lol barbara, just what do you do with the rest of it?...
Are you trying to start trouble mister?! Did you send a copy of this thread to my daughter?!

I kept certain things, but some things were fine to keep in pictures. One thing I kept was a picture she made from seeds. They were allowed to make any animal picture they wanted to as long as they only used seeds. She used watermelon seeds, black sesame seeds, and pumpkin seeds (maybe something else--not sure) and made the cutest penguin inside a shoebox lid! In 3rd grade they made things from clay. They painted them and they were finished in a kiln. Then they had an art show and auction, where people could bid on the artwork! Nancy made a girl holding a rainbow above her head. It was hideous and beautiful all at the same time! I love it! Of course I bid on it and won! Nancy was happy that I bid on hers! lol

How apropriate that this thread came up today. We were just talking about how we already have too much to store. We decided that we would have Rachel go through and pick some pieces that we can sent to her Grandma and Pahkah, Nana and Voovoo, Uncle and Aunt, GG and Zaide, etc. They will each be receiving a package in the mail with some wonderful artwork. Of course that only frees us up for a few months and then we are back to the same problem.

I LOVE your idea of taking pictures Barbara. I am going to start doing that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom