"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Alot of the ones that have decided to ride out this monster have been told to magic marker their names and social security numbers on their arms as they could very well perish in this storm because when it hits there will be no rescues for them.
That is so scary. I don't understand why people would "ride it out" rather than go to safety. What are they staying for. I mean, I'm totally fascinated by hurricanes, but if they told me to magic marker/sharpie my info on my body, I'd bloody heck get out of there.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
That is so scary. I don't understand why people would "ride it out" rather than go to safety. What are they staying for. I mean, I'm totally fascinated by hurricanes, but if they told me to magic marker/sharpie my info on my body, I'd bloody heck get out of there.
Some after being told that did decide to get the heck out of there. I think this is a serious storm not the strongest but for sure a big one that covers many miles.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Even if you do make it through the storm, you have to deal with days and days of no electricity (ie, no AC) and no safe water. It's just not fun.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
And there are a LOt of them that didn't leave and now have to wait it out because the Coast Guard couldn't get to them. They were able to get a bunch, but, not all.
There is also a freighter out there with 22 people that have to wait it out that are in the direct path of Ike. Their engines went down and by the time the Coast Guard got to them, the winds were too high and they were unable to land on the ship or get them off. They are hoping that the winds will carry them in enough to drop anchor. I pray for them all!!
Oh yes, this tanker situation just breaks my heart. I can only imagine what the families of those 22 people on board must be feeling right now. It must be agonizing to know that no one can rescue them until after the storm passes. And the worst isn't even here yet. I'll be thinking of them tonight.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Prayers to all those in possible harms way!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'm so sad to hear that some people couldn't evacuate. Not everyone has the funds to do it. My prayers go out to all DC members in the Houston/Galveston area and all residents there. I have an aunt and 7 cousins living there but haven't heard from them yet. DH's best friend and his family live there too. We will try calling them again in a bit.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #27
Executive Chef

My mom called from Houston and she just lost power in her neighborhood. We didn't expect it to happen so soon since it hasn't really hit yet. The phone lines are still working and she has a cell phone if those go down. She said she is getting a little rain and gusts of wind right now. I think it's going to be a long night.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #28
Master Chef

The tanker did make it through the storm, and all 22 to aboard have been rescued.
I have a friend who lives in Riverside, Tx, about 100 miles north of Houston. The eye is headed right for them, but he lives on high ground, and has plenty of supplies.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #29
Master Chef

According to the latest info (just now on TV) there are about 4.5 million people without electricity from Galveston to Houston (that might be a FUBAR - other reports just before that said 1.5 million). The center of the eye is now centered over Galveston Island.

What we can expect in the DFW area depends on the tracking in the next 2-6 hours.

It's going to be a long night watching ....
Old 09-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #30
Executive Chef

I think they mean 1.5 million residences which is approximately 4.5 million people are without power. The rains and wind are still hitting Houston but not as strong as earlier. My mom lost her fence in the storm and still is without power but she her land line phone is still working. The fence is a biggie because she has 2 dogs that are very large and strong and I don't think she can walk them on a leash. I'll be going there tomorrow or as soon as the roads are OK to get her.

The power company is saying it will be 2+ weeks before power is restored. Mom is on oxygen 24/7 and her tank will run out before then. She has 2 oxygen concentrators that she uses most of the time but they run on electricity so they aren't functional right now. Still, it could have been much worse and I'm grateful she's OK.