"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I think they mean 1.5 million residences which is approximately 4.5 million people are without power. The rains and wind are still hitting Houston but not as strong as earlier. My mom lost her fence in the storm and still is without power but she her land line phone is still working. The fence is a biggie because she has 2 dogs that are very large and strong and I don't think she can walk them on a leash. I'll be going there tomorrow or as soon as the roads are OK to get her.

The power company is saying it will be 2+ weeks before power is restored. Mom is on oxygen 24/7 and her tank will run out before then. She has 2 oxygen concentrators that she uses most of the time but they run on electricity so they aren't functional right now. Still, it could have been much worse and I'm grateful she's OK.
What part of Houston does she live at? I will be praying for your mom dear. The sooner you're able to get to her, the better. Please keep us posted and be very careful while you're there. Hugs,

Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Hope you are able to get your mother FM safely! How far away are you from her?

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Thanks, ya'll. I'm in San Antonio, about 200 miles from Houston. Mom is in southwest Houston between the Medical Center and Missouri City.

The first reports and video from Galveston/Houston are coming in now and amazingly, things don't look as bad as they could have been. I'm praying they don't have any deaths in Galveston when they are able to go back in and check on folks.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #34
Master Chef

FM, I will pray that all goes well with mom. I'm sure that she would on a priority list if you call the fire dept in her area and let them know when she is on her last tank.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I'll be going there tomorrow or as soon as the roads are OK to get her.

The power company is saying it will be 2+ weeks before power is restored. Mom is on oxygen 24/7 and her tank will run out before then. She has 2 oxygen concentrators that she uses most of the time but they run on electricity so they aren't functional right now. Still, it could have been much worse and I'm grateful she's OK.
F'sM. I don't think you'll be going there tomorrow. Flooding seems to be the major concern right now. I stayed with my folks during Wilma, and it took them 5 days to get power back. Where I lived - 9 miles away, I lost nothing, not power, or phones or water. But my mom would not leave home. And she, like your mother, was on oxygen powered by electricity. They had a small generator just for that - and her tea kettle. But they would not leave. And believed til it hit, they would be safe. It had nothing to do with finances, but more to do with, well, we've never had a bad problem before.
People just don't realize; can't fathom, that nature can be this powerful, never having seen it before.
Now mom's not alive, and dad has the whole house wired for backup, in the ground generator fueled by propane, as he STILL never plans on leaving. And I don't plan to leave him alone. NEVER. Even seeing what hurricanes can do.
Call it what you will, but I just can't.
So to all of you, my prayers, no judgement, and stay in touch as long as you can, and let us know what we can do to help you.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Thanks quicksilver. I think you're right about not getting into Houston tomorrow. The freeways are clogged with emergency help and vehicles heading in right now. I'm not sure if they are even allowing other vehicles at this point.

My mom didn't want to leave because she has 2 dogs and 9 cats, which won't fit in her little car even if she could manage to get them all in there. We might have been able to go and get her if there had been enough warning that the storm was going to hit there. It was originally looking like it would hit Corpus Christi head-on and they started mandatory evacuations Wednesday and Thursday. I was down in Corpus boarding up my house til Thursday evening. Then it turned and a whole new bunch of people were evacuating. Houston ordered a mandatory evacuation for certain flood-prone zip codes and mobile homes, but told everyone else not to leave because the freeways and shelters couldn't handle that many people. Then she was determined not to leave because she was afraid to get stuck on the road and run out of oxygen.

Actually, the way your dad has the house set up is a very good idea. A generator would be great right about now and I'm thinking about getting one for the future. Hopefully she will have moved here with me by the next hurricane season....