"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #41
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
One thing I liked about this weeks episode that I did not mention yet was Greg taking a monster dive into the Beans. That was soooooo good.
I liked that too.

LOL This reminds me of the ridiculous thing Anjay said during that challenge. He said that he couldn't do as well as the others because he is still growing and doesn't have a lot of strength. I guess he thinks he is competing with adults!

Barbara

Old 10-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #42
Master Chef

Thanks, everyone for the update on this weeks episode. I missed it having dinner with some friends.

I felt sorry for Mike when he got voted off as a councilmember. He tried to stick up from his people, but the other councilmembers out voted him on a few occasions.

And I agree Taylor is just a spoiled brat.

My dad also likes to watch this show. We have a good time discussing what happened on each episode.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
he tends not to think things through first, and to go over the top with his reactions.

Barbara
I think it's more a case of being socially, for lack of a better term, retarded. He has little to no social skills.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #44
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
I think it's more a case of being socially, for lack of a better term, retarded. He has little to no social skills.
You are right. I have a feeling that Taylor and Anjay are both used to getting pretty much everything they want all the time at home, and he just deals with it in a different way.

Barbara
Old 10-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #45
Everymom

So it WAS Anjay that held the door closed? And to clarify, my comment was "and the kind of person I can see being part of a scary mob." Bullies rarely work alone. And he is worst kind of bully IMO. The one who does stuff to "show off" even though he knows its wrong. He is the kind of kid who bullies because its a way to get some power and he feels powerless most of the time (witness the cringing behaviour phinz mentions) so when he feels he has backing, he turns into something not very nice. I see this kind of kid at work all the time.

In any case, this show is a neat concept and I hope I get the chance to watch it more often.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:36 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
So it WAS Anjay that held the door closed? And to clarify, my comment was "and the kind of person I can see being part of a scary mob." Bullies rarely work alone. And he is worst kind of bully IMO. The one who does stuff to "show off" even though he knows its wrong. He is the kind of kid who bullies because its a way to get some power and he feels powerless most of the time (witness the cringing behaviour phinz mentions) so when he feels he has backing, he turns into something not very nice. I see this kind of kid at work all the time.

In any case, this show is a neat concept and I hope I get the chance to watch it more often.
I think the kids were acting on emotion at that time and locking the door up was the right thing to do for a couple of minutes.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #47
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
I think the kids were acting on emotion at that time and locking the door up was the right thing to do for a couple of minutes.
There we differ kleenex, IMO no matter what rude things someone has said, it is never cool to prevent someone from leaving a situation like that where they 1) Feel threatened and 2) where they are seriously outnumbered. I think that kid is lucky Taylor only kicked him. I personally would have completely freaked out and done what we like to call in our house "crazed weasel".

Please don't misunderstand me, I am absolutely not condoning Taylor's snotty behaviour.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #48
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I think the other kids keeping Talor from leaving was out of frustration (still no reason to keep her from leaving) and after a couple minutes the one girl did go to the door and tell Anjay just let her go, then opened the door and told Taylor to take a walk and cool down. I think they all figured her attitude was because she was the leader and that once she was voted out her behavior would change, then when it didn't they didn't know what to do.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #49
Head Chef

I took it more as an intervention. Their forcing her to stay in the same room with them was intended to make her listen to them. By doing this, then allowing her to leave, they held the upper hand, because they controlled her, and she had to note that she was not in absolute control of her own destiny.

It will be interesting to see where it leads. If you read her bio and q&a on the CBS site, she appears to be more of a follower or maverick than a leader. She likes to say, "I don't know. I'm too young."

Anjay strikes me as the kind of bookish nerd I grew up with. I was in all the advanced level classes you could possibly force a child to take, and most of the kids in my classes were social introverts with repressed emotions, tons of book smarts and no common sense. They were so far inside their heads that they were scared of their own shadow. The pent up feelings of intimidation and anger outwardly manifested themselves at the oddest, and most inopportune, times, sometimes coming off as arrogant and pretentious as a shield for their own insecurities. Some of these kids were the ones in trench coats when they got into high school. Others were the ones who found a clique with others of the awkward, socially inept persuasion. I straddled that line, and probably still do to this day, so I somewhat identify with him, though he irritates the living feces out of me most of the time.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #50
Everymom

mikki, I agree with you that they were keeping her from leaving because they were frustrated with her behaviour. I believe though that there is a point where behaviour like that goes from being borne of frustration, and when it crosses the line to abusive and mob driven. And I'm not saying the line WAS crossed, just that it was really really close there.

Phinz, being of the nerdish persuasion myself I see what you mean about Anjay. I haven't watched it enough to decide for certain what the kid will be like, but the trench coat analogy seems apt from what little I have seen.