Kids quick snack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
My grandson, wanted a snack today and everything I suggested, he kind of reluctantly said welllll...So thinking quickly, (hard to do at my age) I told him I'd fix him one his mom and his aunt and uncles use to love...
I took 2 slices of french bread, sliced med thick, toasted one side under the broiler, then on the untoasted side, I put a layer of provolone, sprinkled it with onion powder, and topped that with salami..I then put it under the broiler til the cheese melted and the salami got nice and hot:LOL: The kid loved it:) and ate both pieces with gusto:LOL: I can remember doing this for my 4 kids often and usually when I was up to my eyeballs in washing baseball uni's, fixing a tennis racket, getting a kid out of a tree and trying to get some parents to please help at the snack bar for fridays game:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
What do your kids like as a quick snack? Are they picky or easy to please...I had two who were picky and two who would wolf down anything within reason:LOL:
kadesma, remembering:rolleyes:

My eldest likes Lean Pockets, my youngest likes a bowl of oatmeal, fruit, or chips & salsa.

Paint.

slice of bread, margarine and sugar. Yes, bad for kid normally,but my boys were so small that the doctor had them on fattening drinks, {kind of like ensure, I don't remember the name of it now} and told me to give them anything between their meals that would put some meat on them
Both of them started kindergarten in size 3 pants and didn't weigh 40 lbs.:)

My older son loves it when I put the night before's leftovers in a skillet, then wrap it in a warmed flour tortilla. This works for cut up roasts with veggies, spaghetti sauce with meat and chopped tomatoes, cut up chicken breasts with roasted potatoes...etc...

A lot of the time he'll also add 1/2 of an avocado, sliced up and hot sauce.

i wouldn't mind eating that myself, kads.:LOL: sounds yummy.
tex, i used to eat butter and sugar or toast and bread. that's when i was going through my teenage changes, and i was always RAVENOUS, so i'd eat like 6 or 8 slices in a row.

Last edited:
luvs_food said:
i wouldn't mind eating that myself, kads.:LOL: sounds yummy.
tex, i used to eat butter and sugar or toast and butter. that's when i was going through my teenage changes, and i was always RAVENOUS, so i'd eat like 6 or 8 slices in a row.
Luvs, don't tell on me, but, I love it and when no-ones home, it's my lunch or dinner:LOL:
kadesma:rolleyes:

My daughter is grown now, but one of her favorite snacks growing up was Ants on a Log. She found the recipe in a cookbook for kids. Celery filled with peanut butter and topped with raisins.

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
My daughter is grown now, but one of her favorite snacks growing up was Ants on a Log. She found the recipe in a cookbook for kids. Celery filled with peanut butter and topped with raisins.

Barbara,
that just might work for one of the kids, he loves peanut butter and celery..Glad you gave me the idea :) Thanks
kadesma:)

luvs_food said:
celery and cream cheese with green Spanish olives on top is yummy, too!
It sure is livs, but that ones for ME:LOL:
kadesma:)

my son absolutley loves warm applesauce with a pat of butter (actually margarine cause he's allergic to dairy products), brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg added to it.
and other time he wants french toast ( yes french toast ) as a snack.

middie said:
my son absolutley loves warm applesauce with a pat of butter (actually margarine cause he's allergic to dairy products), brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg added to it.
and other time he wants french toast ( yes french toast ) as a snack.
Seems kids will eat the darndest things..Providing THEY think of it first:LOL: If you suggest it they turn up their noses most times..But you son and my DH would get along fine, DH is an applesauce fan from way back and Cade is a french toast lover he always wants it for breakfast with butter, cinnimon and syrup:LOL: plus a side of maple sausage......Geez, what do I do when the other two get to eating big kid stuff:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
kadesma, refusing to think about it right now:LOL:

luvs_food said:
celery and cream cheese with green Spanish olives on top is yummy, too!
I love celery with cream cheese! I also love Boston Brown Bread (it comes in a can, but I want to try making my own sometime) heated up and spread with cream cheese.

Another snack my daughter liked was English muffin pizzas. Just spread a little spaghetti or pizza sauce on an English muffin half, top with cheese and pepperoni (or whatever they want), and put under broiler (or in toaster oven) until cheese melts.

i haven't tried boston brown bread, barb. i'll have to buy a can. betcha it's yummy.
i always see it in the store and think it's neat; i love to shake the cans and listen to the bread bouncing around, lol.:rolleyes: :LOL:

I don't have any children so will go back to my childhood. We use to have ants on a log and loved them but what my mother did was smart!!! Mom had to raise 4 kids on her own and money was very tight so she didn't get to get a babysitter most of the time and run away from the kids for a while. Our mom did NOT look forward to summer vacation and having 4 kids around all day long and living in the country there were no little kids around where we lived, so we had to entertain ourselves.

All my mother had to do with my brother was say food and he would gulp it down before she even got whatever it was set in front of him with a couple of mayo jars full of milk (a glass didn't hold enough milk for him), then head back to his room to read. Mom didn't have any problems with the baby either since she was still on a bottle and slept quite a bit. It was my sister and I. We were typically bored and hated to eat. Mom found the perfect idea for her and us. She would fix sandwiches, cut them in cute shapes, wrap them in wax paper, made some ants on a log and put that in wax paper too or maybe carrot sticks, then she would add a piece of fruit and put everything in a paper bag. Then mom would go out in the yard and put an old blanket on the grass and Sandy and I would have a picnic. We absolutely loved it and mom had a little quiet time to enjoy some peace and quiet. :)

After we were a little older Sandy and I would make our own picnic lunch and take it outside with a blanket to eat. Funny thing is everything tasted wonderful on our picnic and neither one of us normally would touch carrots but we ate those carrot sticks and enjoyed them. :) :)

the kiddos i used to watch always wanted oodles of noodles, turkey and regular burgers, bacon and eggs, and kool-aid.
i'd have to cook a few different meals cause i always made the mistake of asking them what they were hungry for instead of just plopping a plate down in front of them and saying, 'here's dinner!'

IcyMist,

My sister and I loved the picnics in the yard! We would pretend to be somewhere else (like in the treehouse on Swiss Family Robinson) and have a wonderful time!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom