"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

I used to live in a house with a bunch of friends. One of them (I knew him through one of the other house mates) we never saw go into the bathroom to take a shower. We are not sure if he ever washed his clothes either. He stank so bad!!! His name was Pete, but we called him Smelly Pete or SP for short. It was so bad that he left a trail of smell wherever he went. You would walk into a room and know SP had been in there within the last hour

Old 01-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
T'is a rare occassion for me not to have a shower within any given 24 hour period. Well, unless I sleep late on days off, but as soon as I get up, the first place I go is the shower. I don't become human until I've had a shower.

Especially when I'm not feeling well, i.e. a cold or something. The steam helps relieve sinus pressure and to loosen up any gunk in the respatory system! Then I'm good for a couple showers cuz they help me feel better!

Summertime sometimes requires a morning and evening shower, depending on the day's activities.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I could go longer without a shower than without brushing my teeth.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #14
Master Chef

Some of our firefighters go with out showers on fire assignments. But it usually not because they don't want to take a shower. Sometimes shower units are not available in a timely manner. Crews that spike out on the fireline might not come into the main fire camp for 3-4 days. Also, at times sleeping and eating is a higher priority than taking a shower.

The most I have been without a shower is 3-4 days and not by personal preference. Usually it is related to camping or fire assignments. At least when camping there is a river or lake nearby that you can jump into.

I worked on a fire lookout tower once that did not have bathing facilities. I got really good at having sponge baths and washing my hair by heating water on the propane stove.

I prefer to take my shower in the morning, but at times it is a necessity to take one at night due to how dirty I have got during the day.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
3 days for me. And trust ME when I say, I stay away from onions and garlic! ARRRGHHHH!! BLECK!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #16
Master Chef

Hmmm. Intersting line. As you get older, you perspire less and tend to go longer without showering. I can last a couple of days, and only because my showers have become chemical washes to treat ezcema and psoriosis (I'm 50) ... in the winter. Plus I need glasses, so cannot read in the tub. But I'm old enough to remember that once-upon-a-time baths were a weekly event. We (I have three little sisters) would line up and climb into the bath, and would wash each other's hair. At one point in my life, I would wash my pregnant mother after (she bathed daily, but sometimes needed help reaching places ... we lived overseas, and didn't have the modern facilities we're used to now). As for going, on purpose, without bathing ... ugh! The only reason I go a day without bathing is because my skin cannot take the abuse. I'm willing to agree that we as Americans over-deoderize. But trying to say that BO is a good smell? I've lived places where people don't shave, use deodorant, or regularly bathe. It isn't a lovely way to live. PS -- You don't start smelling less, your own nose stops smelling. YOU think you don't stink, but believe me the rest of the world knows you do.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #17
Master Chef

What is "Shower"?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:48 PM   #18
Master Chef

A russian joke:

A group of American tourists come to one of Premier Soviet Farms some where in Siberia. They’ve been shown all kind of amazing things, at the end one of the guys turns to the guide and asks:

Tourist: “How come I have not seen any Showers or tubs in the bathrooms? Where do you wash up? “

Guide: “we bathe in the river.” – The guide replied

T. “River? But what about winter?

G. “Ehh, what’s big deal? Winter isn’t that long!”
Old 01-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
After reading this thread about showing I can't help but seem to shake the image of "Pig Pen" from Charlie Brown out of my head

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:59 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lol.. it's just made me want to take another shower....