"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
thanks Bucky I wish I would have posted a question too... where I live there really isn't an avarian vet,and I could not get a hold of my regular vet...
I still have my male, "RIZZ" and I really don't know if I will get another....
do you think I should for Rizz OR WILL HE be okay with out a companion they were together for 9 years... ? thanks in advance

thanks again Bucky...

thank you all for your kind words today! :)

Old 02-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
Executive Chef

It isn't silly at all. When my dd's 14 year old cat died earlier this month, she was distraught. When she called me I couldn't tell what she was saying and was scared to death it was something wrong with a family member. They had loved that cat from Florida to California to Maryland to Virginia and back to Florida. Her little miniature doberman still grieves also.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:01 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I lost a finch at one time due to eggbinding, and I don't know what you could have done, although Buckytom apparently knows something about it. It's hard to lose a pet, be it a bird or otherwise. They're a part of your family.

As for a companion for your remaining bird, I think that's up to you. I had a pair of finches (different finches) and one died within the first couple years. Everyone said to expect that the other one wouldn't live long afterward. It lived to be over 11 years old. I never thought a tiny finch could live that long.

BC
Old 02-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
So sorry to hear Kim. A few months ago, my daughter's four parokeets got lost - at least didn't die. The cage feel on the concrete floor and they flew away. She was very sad.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:20 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Kimbaby, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Pets touch our hearts in a special way. Know that I am thinking of you.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Sorry to hear that, Kimbaby. I was kinda down today as well, but obviously for different reasons. I was sick all day yesterday (combo stomach flu and food poisioning, I think) and still recovering today. Ugh and ick.

I understand your pain, though. Some people establish stronger bonds with pets than others. Before Mrs. Big Dog and I got married, we had to get through an issue of putting her dog down for reasons we did not agree with, but really couldn't fight (at the time). She had an overwhelmingly strong bond with the dog, and many of her siblings say it's unhealthy. That coming from people that see a dog as nothing more than an animal. I disagree with that view. People establish relations with pets to various degrees, Healthy or unhealthy, I don't know. I err on the side of it being healthy.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #17
Master Chef

It is tested and proven that older or sick people will respond better to treatment and live longer than expected when given a pet, no matter what kind, but, especially dogs. Anything that will give them reason to live. I will try to find that article.
So to lose a pet, is just as hard to lose a family member to many many people.
As for my dogs, they are a part of the family. They get scolded just like kids, spoiled like kids and loved like kids. If I didn't have my dogs, I would be totally lost!

Here is one of the articles.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Im sorry to hear about your little guy. I pray that your heart cheers up somewhat soon. I like birds too. I remember when I was about 14 there was a bird that was standing but not moving. He had drank somwthing NOT good in a puddle off of someones driveway. I peddled back to my house and got a shallow bucket so I could bring the little guy back and hopefully nurse him back to health. I gave him fresh water and bird seed.
A few hours later I put some gloves on and held the bird in my hand. He died in my hands. Oddly enough I felt some type of electricity go into my arms. (still dont understand that) I found a glass jar and put him into it. Burried him in my back yard.
Anyhow, I VERY sorry for your loss. Birds are wonderful.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:53 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Aw, Deadly Sushi, that was sweet. You have a kind soul.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:16 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Im sorry to hear about your little guy. I pray that your heart cheers up somewhat soon. I like birds too. I remember when I was about 14 there was a bird that was standing but not moving. He had drank somwthing NOT good in a puddle off of someones driveway. I peddled back to my house and got a shallow bucket so I could bring the little guy back and hopefully nurse him back to health. I gave him fresh water and bird seed.
A few hours later I put some gloves on and held the bird in my hand. He died in my hands. Oddly enough I felt some type of electricity go into my arms. (still dont understand that) I found a glass jar and put him into it. Burried him in my back yard.
Anyhow, I VERY sorry for your loss. Birds are wonderful.
you have a tender heart sushi... thats very sweet what you did for that little bird... thanks for the cheer-up's...
I am doing better today,still bothers me to look at the cage,but I got TO get over that I have another bird to care for... thanks again every one for your kind expressions!!!!