Kinda sad today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kim, i think you should try to evaluate the situation day to day with rizz, and put a call into your vet to discuss the situation with him or her. rizz is going through enough, and that takes a toll on your health, so i'd be sure to feed him well and give him fresh fruits, veggies - especially wetted broccoli florets and spinach leaves, and a daily vitamin supplement in both his water and food. if he stops eating from despair of losing his mate, you'll need to directly feed him with a dropper. the vet should be able to point you to a good feeding formula, or at least vitamin supplement. i use a combo of supplements (so they don't get bored with one and reject it), prime brand vitamins, nekton brand vitamins, and pro-feda brand.
if he just gets kinda melancholy, i would try getting another bird, but introduce them slowly. put the new bird's cage in another room in the house, but they shouldn't see each other, or be too close. this will allow them to communicate from a distance, getting used to each other, but is also a good idea just as a quarantine. rizz's immune system will probably be low from stress and the new bird could be carrying something that doesn't affect a healthy bird.
i am very sorry for the loss of your bird. i hope rizz is ok, and tell him we're sorry too.

oh, btw, if eggbinding ever happens again, gently rub the cloaca with a little vegetable oil, and keep the bird warm and quiet, temporarily removing any other birds to a seperate cage to let her concentrate on passing the egg. also give her a calcium/vitamin d3 supplement called calcivet, or if you can't get to a vet or pet store, give her an over the counter human calcium supplement called neocalglucon. if she continues to struggle, you may have to hold her over some warm steam and try to help massage it out, but that's pretty tricky.

I had a bird experience that turned out for the best. I'll tell it in hopes of helping ease the pain.

I used to work for a large company that had two large glass buildings for offices. Of course, glass buildings are not on a bird's Christmas card list, and these buildings got their share of victims.

Where the story gets lighthearted is I was outside waling with a coworker, and came across a chickadee that had hit the building. It was on the sidewalk, so I was going to move it over into the grass at least so no one stepped on it. Just as I was fixing to brush it aside with my foot, the little bugger moved! What a shock!

So, with my love of anomals taking over, I bent down and scooped the little bird up in my hands. I stood up and watched it for a few seconds. It was moving a bit, then it was like it suddenly woke up from a bad dream. It stood up in my hand, shook its head (you know how people and animals do sometimes to "clear the cobwebs"), regained composure, looked at me, and flew away. Landed on a near by bush and started singing away like nothing happened! Was a moment I do not think I'll ever forget! I can't explain what it was like to have such a delicate wild creature in my hands for those few brief seconds! The only word that comes to mind is awesome.

Anyways, I hope that story helps.

Back
Top Bottom