Kinda sad today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
my cockatiel I have had for 9 years died,due to egg binding her name was peanut,her mate is still alive but he is grieving as am I.I know it was only a bird,but I loved my bird... I already miss her... sorry if this sounds silly but I have such a soft heart... :cry:

Kim you have a heart like I do with animls. Mine goes out to you.
So sorry about your loss, and there's no such thing as "Just A Bird"
when it's a pet. Please don't feel bad to grieve over your loss.

Oh Kim,
I'm sorry. Wish I could give you a hug. Pets are part of the family and when we lose one it hurts something awful.

kadesma

Losing a pet is a sad event. You don't realize how much they mean to you until they're gone.

Keep your thoughts on how happy Peanut made you feel over the years.

It's not silly at all!! middie and kadesma are right!!
No matter if it's a bird, dog, cat or whatever else you deem a pet and a friend, it hurts when they die!! I feel your pain. Talk to her mate and help him get through it too. Animals know when their mate is gone.

It doesn't sound silly at all. Love is love... doesn't matter if it's a bird, a cat or a person. I'm so sorry!

kim, I'm sorry to hear about Peanut :( It's always so hard to lose a pet...
We care!

kim, i wish you'd mentioned something here about your lil' peanut. i've had my old parakeets go thru eggbinding, and i might've been able to help you help her pass the egg.
i'm really sorry for your loss. if you ever need any bird advice in the future, don't hesitate to ask.

Kim, a pet is always a member of the family. I'm so sorry for the loss of Peanut.

thanks Bucky I wish I would have posted a question too... where I live there really isn't an avarian vet,and I could not get a hold of my regular vet...
I still have my male, "RIZZ" and I really don't know if I will get another....
do you think I should for Rizz OR WILL HE be okay with out a companion they were together for 9 years... ? thanks in advance

thanks again Bucky...

thank you all for your kind words today! :)

It isn't silly at all. When my dd's 14 year old cat died earlier this month, she was distraught. When she called me I couldn't tell what she was saying and was scared to death it was something wrong with a family member. They had loved that cat from Florida to California to Maryland to Virginia and back to Florida. Her little miniature doberman still grieves also.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I lost a finch at one time due to eggbinding, and I don't know what you could have done, although Buckytom apparently knows something about it. It's hard to lose a pet, be it a bird or otherwise. They're a part of your family.

As for a companion for your remaining bird, I think that's up to you. I had a pair of finches (different finches) and one died within the first couple years. Everyone said to expect that the other one wouldn't live long afterward. It lived to be over 11 years old. I never thought a tiny finch could live that long.

BC

Last edited:
So sorry to hear Kim. A few months ago, my daughter's four parokeets got lost - at least didn't die. The cage feel on the concrete floor and they flew away. She was very sad.

Sorry to hear that, Kimbaby. I was kinda down today as well, but obviously for different reasons. I was sick all day yesterday (combo stomach flu and food poisioning, I think) and still recovering today. Ugh and ick.

I understand your pain, though. Some people establish stronger bonds with pets than others. Before Mrs. Big Dog and I got married, we had to get through an issue of putting her dog down for reasons we did not agree with, but really couldn't fight (at the time). She had an overwhelmingly strong bond with the dog, and many of her siblings say it's unhealthy. That coming from people that see a dog as nothing more than an animal. I disagree with that view. People establish relations with pets to various degrees, Healthy or unhealthy, I don't know. I err on the side of it being healthy.

It is tested and proven that older or sick people will respond better to treatment and live longer than expected when given a pet, no matter what kind, but, especially dogs. Anything that will give them reason to live. I will try to find that article.
So to lose a pet, is just as hard to lose a family member to many many people.
As for my dogs, they are a part of the family. They get scolded just like kids, spoiled like kids and loved like kids. If I didn't have my dogs, I would be totally lost!

Here is one of the articles.

Last edited:
Im sorry to hear about your little guy.
6.gif
I pray that your heart cheers up somewhat soon. I like birds too. I remember when I was about 14 there was a bird that was standing but not moving. He had drank somwthing NOT good in a puddle off of someones driveway. I peddled back to my house and got a shallow bucket so I could bring the little guy back and hopefully nurse him back to health. I gave him fresh water and bird seed.
A few hours later I put some gloves on and held the bird in my hand. He died in my hands. Oddly enough I felt some type of electricity go into my arms. (still dont understand that) I found a glass jar and put him into it. Burried him in my back yard.
Anyhow, I VERY sorry for your loss. Birds are wonderful.
39.gif

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Im sorry to hear about your little guy.
6.gif
I pray that your heart cheers up somewhat soon. I like birds too. I remember when I was about 14 there was a bird that was standing but not moving. He had drank somwthing NOT good in a puddle off of someones driveway. I peddled back to my house and got a shallow bucket so I could bring the little guy back and hopefully nurse him back to health. I gave him fresh water and bird seed.
A few hours later I put some gloves on and held the bird in my hand. He died in my hands. Oddly enough I felt some type of electricity go into my arms. (still dont understand that) I found a glass jar and put him into it. Burried him in my back yard.
Anyhow, I VERY sorry for your loss. Birds are wonderful.
39.gif

you have a tender heart sushi... thats very sweet what you did for that little bird... thanks for the cheer-up's...
I am doing better today,still bothers me to look at the cage,but I got TO get over that I have another bird to care for... thanks again every one for your kind expressions!!!!

Back
Top Bottom