"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Kitchen computer

Question One - Does anyone have a computer in the kitchen?
Question Two - Has anyone specifically incorporated a computer into the design of the kitchen.
Question Three - Has anyone adapted a computer into an existing kitchen.

I do a lot of cooking research online. Sonetimes I wonder about incorporating one into the kitchen. Maybe a flat panel on the back of a cupbord door, Maybe on a wall with a KB & Mouse that slode out from the counter. I see eat in kitchens where the computer is somewhere in the room, just wondering it anyone made it mainstream.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Executive Chef

We usually tote a laptop into the kitchen.

This looks neat. I would invest in a spill-proof keyboard though, or at least some sort of cover.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I used to bring my laptop into the kitchen when needed. Now I just use my iPhone.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I use my laptop at the counter while sitting on a stool. If needed, I just turn the computer around th face the kitchen side of the counter for use while cooking.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm with everyone else, if I actually need one, I bring my laptop into the kitchen.

At work, the Chef, Sous Chef, Banquet Manager, and Food & Beverage Manager all have offices in the kitchen. They all have computers with internet connections.

I do have a bit of a hangup with bringing a laptop into the kitchen. It stems from my training in college, where the instructors would get all huffy about "ruining a good textbook" if we brought our textbooks into the kitchen. They preferred that we wrote out the recipe(s) and brought that into the kitchen. That way, if something spilled onto it, then only the copy would be stained and/or ruined, not the textbook. Of course, writing a recipe out (either typing it or hand-writing) helps the knowledge sink into the grey matter.

I get even more finicky about my laptop. Liquids and electronics don't mix.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
I saw a fully touch screen built in computer on a home improvement show. Be still my beating heart...my my my. Currently, I tote the lap top in there and sit it up on the highest point in the kitchen to avoid catastrophe (on the microwave, on top of the pie chest) and just trot over if I get lost. Or have a brain hiccup. Quite common for me....did you know eggs come from chickens? see?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
I'm with everyone else, if I actually need one, I bring my laptop into the kitchen.

At work, the Chef, Sous Chef, Banquet Manager, and Food & Beverage Manager all have offices in the kitchen. They all have computers with internet connections.

I do have a bit of a hangup with bringing a laptop into the kitchen. It stems from my training in college, where the instructors would get all huffy about "ruining a good textbook" if we brought our textbooks into the kitchen. They preferred that we wrote out the recipe(s) and brought that into the kitchen. That way, if something spilled onto it, then only the copy would be stained and/or ruined, not the textbook. Of course, writing a recipe out (either typing it or hand-writing) helps the knowledge sink into the grey matter.

I get even more finicky about my laptop. Liquids and electronics don't mix.
I am paranoid about ruining my laptop so when it was brought into the kitchen it was no were near any food, liquid, stove, etc. If I was frying anything where the oil would be airborne then I did not bring the laptop in at all.

I enjoy the the stains on my cookbooks though. They are reminders of great meals and also disasters of the past. I do not consider that ruining the book. They are battle scars to be proud of
Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Our computer is in the living room, very close to the kitchen so I dont really need to put it in there.... That's how I'm always cooking and visiting here at the same time so much!!!!
In my next life tho i will have a giant kitchen with space for a small desk and a laptop or something.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Sous Chef

My computer desk is set up in the kitchen, just on the border of the living room. It's an L-shaped desk but I want to replace it with one that only goes against the wall to open up some space. My in-laws have a computer "nook" built into the wall on the edge of their kitchen. They haven't used it for that in awhile though, they moved their computer upstairs. If my house was the right design I think that's what I'd do. I like having my computer out in the open and easily accessible. Besides, it really helps if I need to ask you guys advice while I am cooking.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

if you must: ProtecT Computer Products

a touch screen might be a good idea since it's vertical.

for desktop computers, you can get skins for regular keyboards as well.

also, you can remotely set up a keyboard, monitor, and mouse in the kitchen, while your computer is safely in another location using a kvm extender.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote