Kitchen computer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
Question One - Does anyone have a computer in the kitchen?
Question Two - Has anyone specifically incorporated a computer into the design of the kitchen.
Question Three - Has anyone adapted a computer into an existing kitchen.

I do a lot of cooking research online. Sonetimes I wonder about incorporating one into the kitchen. Maybe a flat panel on the back of a cupbord door, Maybe on a wall with a KB & Mouse that slode out from the counter. I see eat in kitchens where the computer is somewhere in the room, just wondering it anyone made it mainstream.

I use my laptop at the counter while sitting on a stool. If needed, I just turn the computer around th face the kitchen side of the counter for use while cooking.

I'm with everyone else, if I actually need one, I bring my laptop into the kitchen.

At work, the Chef, Sous Chef, Banquet Manager, and Food & Beverage Manager all have offices in the kitchen. They all have computers with internet connections.

I do have a bit of a hangup with bringing a laptop into the kitchen. It stems from my training in college, where the instructors would get all huffy about "ruining a good textbook" if we brought our textbooks into the kitchen. They preferred that we wrote out the recipe(s) and brought that into the kitchen. That way, if something spilled onto it, then only the copy would be stained and/or ruined, not the textbook. Of course, writing a recipe out (either typing it or hand-writing) helps the knowledge sink into the grey matter.

I get even more finicky about my laptop. Liquids and electronics don't mix.

I saw a fully touch screen built in computer on a home improvement show. Be still my beating heart...my my my. Currently, I tote the lap top in there and sit it up on the highest point in the kitchen to avoid catastrophe (on the microwave, on top of the pie chest) and just trot over if I get lost. Or have a brain hiccup. Quite common for me....did you know eggs come from chickens? :LOL: see?

I'm with everyone else, if I actually need one, I bring my laptop into the kitchen.

At work, the Chef, Sous Chef, Banquet Manager, and Food & Beverage Manager all have offices in the kitchen. They all have computers with internet connections.

I do have a bit of a hangup with bringing a laptop into the kitchen. It stems from my training in college, where the instructors would get all huffy about "ruining a good textbook" if we brought our textbooks into the kitchen. They preferred that we wrote out the recipe(s) and brought that into the kitchen. That way, if something spilled onto it, then only the copy would be stained and/or ruined, not the textbook. Of course, writing a recipe out (either typing it or hand-writing) helps the knowledge sink into the grey matter.

I get even more finicky about my laptop. Liquids and electronics don't mix.

I am paranoid about ruining my laptop so when it was brought into the kitchen it was no were near any food, liquid, stove, etc. If I was frying anything where the oil would be airborne then I did not bring the laptop in at all.

I enjoy the the stains on my cookbooks though. They are reminders of great meals and also disasters of the past. I do not consider that ruining the book. They are battle scars to be proud of :LOL:

Our computer is in the living room, very close to the kitchen so I dont really need to put it in there.... That's how I'm always cooking and visiting here at the same time so much!!!!
In my next life tho i will have a giant kitchen with space for a small desk and a laptop or something.

My computer desk is set up in the kitchen, just on the border of the living room. It's an L-shaped desk but I want to replace it with one that only goes against the wall to open up some space. My in-laws have a computer "nook" built into the wall on the edge of their kitchen. They haven't used it for that in awhile though, they moved their computer upstairs. If my house was the right design I think that's what I'd do. I like having my computer out in the open and easily accessible. Besides, it really helps if I need to ask you guys advice while I am cooking.:chef:

if you must: ProtecT Computer Products

a touch screen might be a good idea since it's vertical.

for desktop computers, you can get skins for regular keyboards as well.

also, you can remotely set up a keyboard, monitor, and mouse in the kitchen, while your computer is safely in another location using a kvm extender.

Last edited:
When we moved into our new flat, we had an extra portable, smallish, so we installed a special rack for it and put it over the work counter. Very handy for looking at recipes, also to play music while cooking.

img_574536_0_f681172d3890d1371b3ca4b6818675a7.gif

Question One - Does anyone have a computer in the kitchen?
Question Two - Has anyone specifically incorporated a computer into the design of the kitchen.
Question Three - Has anyone adapted a computer into an existing kitchen.

I do a lot of cooking research online. Sonetimes I wonder about incorporating one into the kitchen. Maybe a flat panel on the back of a cupbord door, Maybe on a wall with a KB & Mouse that slode out from the counter. I see eat in kitchens where the computer is somewhere in the room, just wondering it anyone made it mainstream.

I have a wireless laptop, but would not bring it into the kitchen for obvious reasons - spills etc. I bring it into the dining room adjacent to. That's as close as I'll get. I'm an avid watcher of HGTV, and have seen some pretty amazing appliances i.e. fridges with computers etc etc. You can even program frozen food to be cooked in the oven & set a timer, for when you will be home - ready to eat. Take a look at HGTV or go to kitchen shows. All the new stuff will blow your socks off.

I usually leave my laptop in the dinning room next to the kitchen as well. Last thing I need is something getting spilled on the laptop and having to buy yet another one!

Last year, when I was filling in at the Halfway House on the golf course, I would take my laptop with me. They have cable TV down there, but, even that gets boring when the course is slow. At first, I was doing historical research, cross-referencing stuff from a book and a list on the laptop. When I finished that project, I started bringing in cookbooks with the laptop so I could type out recipes. One of the members actually asked me if I was playing games, or surfing the internet. When I told her that I wasn't doing either of them, but typing out recipes, she looked a little surprised that I was actually using it for a semi-work-related task.

Whatever you choose, don't get Vista Home Basic (new microsoft) on it.

I hate mine. It isn't compatible with anything, and I haven't been able to do a back-up since I first got it because it has a special section on the hard-drive just for that, and that filled up right away because it kept doing a new back-up every time it timed out. I'm supposed to be able to delete the older back-ups, but it refuses to do it.
It doesn't recognize my fairly new Hewlett Packard printer, so while the printer still works, I can't pull it up on the PC to calibrate it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom