Kitchen Disasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolas De Fraile

Executive Chef
I had a bad experience making the hot water crust, I was called away for a few hours just as I had melted the lard in the boiling water(you can add butter for a richer crust)I turn the heat off and when I returned I just turned it on, the lard had set into a hard skin so when the water started to boil the pan exploded and coated the ceiling.:)

Lol Bolas, sounds like a nightmare! I've had some nasty kitchen blunders myself, like the one time I was boiling condensed milk in the tin to make caramel and forgot to top up the water and the tin of sticky gunk ended up all over my kitchen. I also made a double recipe for my breadmaker once and forgot to split the dough before putting it in and that exploded in the machine :( still hasn't all come out but at least it still works which is a miracle in itself..lol!
My favourite was when I made little pastries for my daughters bake sale at school and forgot to put the flour in and ended up with a large amount of sticky cornflake brittle of sorts instead! They were meant to be "Hertzoggies" a South African pastry made with cornflakes, coconut, jam etc.

I had a bad experience making the hot water crust, I was called away for a few hours just as I had melted the lard in the boiling water(you can add butter for a richer crust)I turn the heat off and when I returned I just turned it on, the lard had set into a hard skin so when the water started to boil the pan exploded and coated the ceiling.:)

I had a similar experience with a pot of water with some oil in it. I had it boiling to add some rice then turned it off and came back later. The pot exploded and the lid went flying! Oil and water everywhere!

Just had to share one more kitchen disaster while we are on the subject! When I was 5 my dad was making fries and forgot the oil on the stove. Ended up burning our kitchen down and having to run through the burning kitchen with both my sibling and I in a wet blanket to get us out of the house. The front door keys were missing so the backdoor was the only way out :( Luckily we can all laugh about it now and no one got hurt!

Back
Top Bottom