Kitchen Renovation...Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
hey gang...its been a while since i posted...just been busy with work and life. anyhooo....i recently redid my kitchen, and i am completely stuck as to the last part...the backsplash!!!

here is what id looked like b4...

img_833964_0_db897818298faa9020289d2a7bc4b3f1.jpg

i did granite counter tops...stainless steel appliances (GE Profile series), cherrywood cabinets and matching flooring.

img_833964_1_753d9627fc4891b108700cee1605a73c.jpg

here is where i need you help!!

i want to do a backsplash that goes from countertop alll the way up to the bottom of the cabinets...so i need a nice tile to go in here...

img_833964_2_ceb533a079050cbf42e222673fb29d6f.jpg

any ideas and suggestions would be very much appreciated!! :)

Wow, that looks really nice!

We did our kitchen last year. I went with a dark blue countertop (engineered stone) and 4" ceramic tiles for a backsplash like you want.

We chose tiles for the back splash that matched the larger tiles for the kitchen floor. Where you have hardwood floors, that's not possible. I'd go with a color that complements the countertop but is much lighter. I recommend you have the contractor use a grout sealer on the tile grout to prevent stains from getting a foothold in the porous grout.

I love those beautiful multicolored mini-glass tiles that come in sheets. You can get colors that complement or contrast with the colors you have already used.

BTW, your reno looks GREAT! I know you're loving it. I still haven't done a backsplash in mine, and I'm looking at that glass tile.

Over the stove there should be vent hood instead of oven. You may adjust some small 4” slabs in between cooking slab and shelves.

The shape and size of your kitchen is similar to mine except the island is attached and you hace higher ceilings.

I replaced the over the stove microwave with an exhaust hood that vents to the outdoors. I found a narrow microwave that fits on the little counter to the left of the stove.

Last edited:
Since your kitchen is so warm looking already you probably want to keep that trend going. How high do you need your backsplash? If you want to cover the whole bit I'd go with a natural slate or marble to complement the counter. You can do some decorative stuff just with moving tiles around. My backsplash is rather small. I only have one row of 6 inch tiles with a one inch border on top. Suits me. I think theres a picture of it on the site somewhere.

Here's a pic of my backsplash above the stove.

Attachments

• DSC03033.jpg
    DSC03033.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 150
I think a tile with little sheen would be nice and I definitely think a complimentary color would be important - I suggest greens. A lot depends on other areas / themes in your house.I think you've max'd out on the warm, rich browns with the flooring and cabinets.

Hmmm....being who I am, I would add color. Maybe some talavera tiles, like this:

Tiles and Tiles...Mexican Talavera Tiles Catalog

Of course, my kitchen is a bit wild with color...

set-72157600555845539

oooh, Karen! I like that. My kitchen is kinda riotous with color already, too -- which is why I haven't already purchased those multicolored glass tiles. It's Provencal gold and blue, and I can't seem to find the right mix of colors in the tiles to be really "right."

June, thanks for the kind words...I LOVE those multicolored glass tiles. We are thinking of using them in our guest bathroom. I enjoy surrounding myself with color. Makes me happy.

Back
Top Bottom