"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Not hardly!

In a previous thread I mentioned how there were joist in the back of the house that needed replacing, there were a few under the kitchen that needed replaced too. And a mouse (mice?) had stashed at least a 5 pound sack of cat food under the cabinets.

Wife insisted on this house because of the amount of money we could save. It only cost me my sanity.

The whole house needed reworking so we rented a 10 yard dumpster and filled it with 'house'. This is where the kitchen stalled.

Wife asks me when I'm going to finish it. I remind Wife how when you start with a nightmare and get it to only a not-disturbing dream it can be lived with for quite a while.

Whach you think of the lights? LOL,

Yes, the floor is urethaned plywood..
wart... LOL! My kitchen "foundation is 2x6 on dirt! I bough a fixer upper too only to find out after the fact all the hidden problems like failing brick and rotten beams.

I actually like the lights.

The floor loolks pretty good. I should have done that! Too late though I only have 1 room left to go on the wood floors... (I thought I could restore the old wide boards LOL! You should have seen what was left of them).

Kitchen is next on the list. I am hoping for demo in July or so

Old 04-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #32
Master Chef

my kitchen's a BABY! it's like an efficency kitchen, attached to another room.
we need table trays to cook meals & i barely cook with my mandoline cause trays wobble. my mixer, coffeepot, blender, school knives-in my living room.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Is that a gas stove I spy? Would kill for that! Charcoal will help, so will baking soda. Looks clean and I like a white fridge.
Small space, less to clean. The more you have the more you have to maintain. Good Luck.
I'm not sure if its a gas stove.. how do I tell?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's 20 lbs of poo-poo in a 10 lb bag.
My other house had a nice kitchen compared to this one. This house I had to get a few rooms liveable on little money, so for the kitchen I ripped out the metal cabinets, patched the ceiling and floor, painted everything, had linoleum put down, then started putting together cabinets and cramming stuff in. I'm still adding cabinets to this poor design.
Stove around the corner from everything, where the old lady I bought the place from had her washing machine, limited counter space (especially cuz the counter has a way of collecting things, like my DO that I don't want to put back in the cellar). The dishwasher door is hard to get around with my breadmachine/pressure cooker cabinet right across from it. No window outside! Terrible lighting. The fridge door opens into a window sill that looks onto a sun porch (the porch was added on, which is why there aren't any more windows in the kitchen that look outside). I keep a knife set (under the towel) and some cookbooks, on the sill, but it is hard to get ice trays into their spot in the freezer because the door doesn't open quite all the way. The registers were in stupid spots, so I had to be carefull not to cover those with anything, which is why there's that gap between the refrigerator and counter, because there's a floor register there.

What really needs to be done is the bathroom ripped out and relocated to a room to the right. Right now it sits basically behind the stove with the door just out of the pic. Then the kitchen could expand into where the bathroom was (is now), which would give me more outside wall for a window and I could add a walk-in pantry..... I could knock part of the wall out where those two "dead" windows are on the left and make it into a bar area with a couple stools...... 20 grand of spare cash and I'll be set!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	3856  
Old 04-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #35
Executive Chef

If ^^^ that was my kitchen, that bathroom would be history. No way am I walking that far from the fridge to the stove.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Here's 20 lbs of poo-poo in a 10 lb bag.
I like how you described it at the beginning. LOL!!

I think we all wish that the government would give us each 20 grand and we could all build the kitchen of our dreams.

Edit..

I think if anything, I want a kitchen that cleans easier. The linoleum squares in my kitchen lift up because of the flood we had, and theres a baseboard under a cupboard that comes out and its the nastiest thing ever. Brown crap, nasty glue, I always have to clean it thoroughly as it tends to be growing something in there...

I desperately want to clean under the stove and the fridge after the flood, because I can SEE the grime, but I can't get to it. I couldn't move the fridge out all the way or the stove. God knows how they got it in there.

Think "Honey I Shrunk the Kitchen Appliances"
Old 04-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

One nice thing about a small kitchen is that you save alot of steps. That is a cute kitchen. Roy
Old 04-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
Remodeled mine 5 years ago.
That just really freaked me out. I had to look twice. My in laws just redid their kitchen this year and it looks VERY similar to yours qmax. I love the wine rack in the island. My inlaws do not have that. What a great idea.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
If ^^^ that was my kitchen, that bathroom would be history. No way am I walking that far from the fridge to the stove.
I have long arms. I only walk as far as the end of the counter and toss the food over into the pan
I'd say it takes some getting used to, but you never do
Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I have long arms. I only walk as far as the end of the counter and toss the food over into the pan
I'd say it takes some getting used to, but you never do
Just a quick thought: If you did remove that bathroom, you would have plumbing available in the center of your kitchen for an island/sink combo prep area thingamabob.