"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #61
Head Chef
 
Saphellae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,611
Well, it's almost 5pm, time to get to work in my dinky kitchen lol!
__________________

__________________
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
Well, it's almost 5pm, time to get to work in my dinky kitchen lol!
Yes, there are some of us that will toil away in spite of our kitchen's downfalls.
That or start grilling out more

I can't afford to move because of my kitchen I have a really nice bedroom
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #63
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
big or small, old or new, vintage or modern, a well kept kitchen is a thing of beauty!
__________________
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I like Uncle Bob's "kitchen".
We haven't seen any pictures of that lately.
Now that is a beautiful kitchen
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #65
Senior Cook
 
fireweaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: the d.c. 'burbs
Posts: 265
Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
for the 3 years of my residency, i was renting a little rowhome in baltimore. the kitchen was a whole lot like the one you've posted, Saphellae: microscopic, craptacular paint job, NO storage for anything. only difference was if you'll imagine yours stretched out into a straight line in a little skinny room instead of a box. NO counter space, literally: apparently, in the 50s, they figured that all you needed was a half-meter drain board molded as one piece of metal with the single sink. i had to buy a ginormous counter-depth cutting board from ikea to serve as a counter, and sat it on one side of said drain board (other side being used for it's intended function, to hold the dish drying rack, as there was certainly no dishwasher in that tiny cave). i had to flip the cutting board every time i scrubbed it down completely because it would warp due to the underlying tilt of the drain board. the microwave and toaster oven were balanced on a very tiny, very narrow cheap pine shelving unit on the non-applianced wall...you could easily touch everything by standing in the center.

but i've since moved down to the burbs of d.c. for my real job, and the kitchen was one of the things i loved best about this house:






it's not my super dream kitchen, but it suits me just fine...it is after all, just me living here. i love my big sunny back porch door, my warm sandy-colored tile, my shiny new gas stove, and that lovely mahogany color to the cabinets. and of course, plenty of space for the 44-bottle wine rack! i like the big, open feel to it, which means when i'm having a dinner party, everyone piles up in the kitchen to chat while i cook. someday, there will be a bigger space, with a lovely butcher block island (i'm jealous for sure of some of the amazing pics upstream in this thread!), but it works great for now.
__________________
I love cooking with wine...sometimes I even put it in the food... fireweaver.wordpress.com
fireweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #66
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Hope this works


http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...w/IMG_0700.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...w/IMG_0696.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...w/IMG_0701.jpg
__________________
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
DH took some pix for me. They turned out pretty blurred so I'm disappointed but you can sorta tell what it looks like.
What you'll see if I can upload these that is.......
1. my ''kitchen store'' aka pantry, yep, full and bulging at the seams
2. the door that closes the pantry which is also full
3. some pots I got at yard sales or used stores on my 6 burner KitchenAide
4. a small percentage of my collection of cookbooks and on top the very old balsamic vinegar and the various truffle oils, plus old kitchen gadgets
5. my island with marble insert for breads/pastry dough/cookies/etc
6. and just for kicks, I know you all want to see some of my newest prized possessions............aka.................butter dishes! I have two more from today and two more coming from eBAY

i love the blue sofa. where did u get it?

babe
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #68
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i love the blue sofa. where did u get it?

babe
oh thanks, we had it made in sunny southern California
__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #69
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireweaver View Post
for the 3 years of my residency, i was renting a little rowhome in baltimore. the kitchen was a whole lot like the one you've posted, Saphellae: microscopic, craptacular paint job, NO storage for anything. only difference was if you'll imagine yours stretched out into a straight line in a little skinny room instead of a box. NO counter space, literally: apparently, in the 50s, they figured that all you needed was a half-meter drain board molded as one piece of metal with the single sink. i had to buy a ginormous counter-depth cutting board from ikea to serve as a counter, and sat it on one side of said drain board (other side being used for it's intended function, to hold the dish drying rack, as there was certainly no dishwasher in that tiny cave). i had to flip the cutting board every time i scrubbed it down completely because it would warp due to the underlying tilt of the drain board. the microwave and toaster oven were balanced on a very tiny, very narrow cheap pine shelving unit on the non-applianced wall...you could easily touch everything by standing in the center.

but i've since moved down to the burbs of d.c. for my real job, and the kitchen was one of the things i loved best about this house:






it's not my super dream kitchen, but it suits me just fine...it is after all, just me living here. i love my big sunny back porch door, my warm sandy-colored tile, my shiny new gas stove, and that lovely mahogany color to the cabinets. and of course, plenty of space for the 44-bottle wine rack! i like the big, open feel to it, which means when i'm having a dinner party, everyone piles up in the kitchen to chat while i cook. someday, there will be a bigger space, with a lovely butcher block island (i'm jealous for sure of some of the amazing pics upstream in this thread!), but it works great for now.
What I want to know is: How the heck you keep all those wine bottles corked?
__________________
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #70
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Bloo is always underfoot. LOL
Now I miss my Springer! Phe-Phe (her nickname, full name was Ophelia), was the same way, following me everywhere I went. Where you found me, you found her, and that includes the bathroom and shower, LOL.
__________________

__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.