Kitchen size - I bet you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhh but Pancho you get kudos for dealing with it! You're still pluggin away in the kitchen, just think how much you'll love it when its finished!

If we ever got everything we wanted, we'd end up bored, right? Nice to have something to work towards...looks like what you have is pretty functional, and you've got some really nice cookware. Thanks for sharing it with us - I'm sure it will be beautiful when you get it done....

LOL true karen I am looking foward to gutting it.All those pots are out drying on the stove after the chicken poach and potato salad making. I have alot more but it is all in storage right now... I am looking foward to getting my griswolds and knives on display.

The thing that drives me the most crazy (of all the aweful things) is the tiny window and the solid door cant wait to get a nice big window and a door with some glazing in there so I can see my tomatillos etc. They fortressed in the house:mad:. You can see the dining room window covered up in one photo too it was behind a wall covered with paneling and plastered over. I mean security is important but I can't live in a cave.

If we ever got everything we wanted, we'd end up bored, right?

Oh Karen, Karen, Karen .......

You must not understand the DIYer.

When a contractor does the job it gets done, there is an end.

For the DIYer there is no end. No matter how much gets done and finished there is always something else that can stand a changing. Either minor or severe.

I'm afraid to start something new because it always leads to something more.

It's imposable to get everything we want because there is NEVER an END! NEVER!!! NEVEAHAHAHhAAhaHAHAAHahaahAHAAhaahahaah ....

I need a drink ...

Y'all lucky, you have dishwashers, i dont have one, but when i get married, ill have a new washer machine and dishwasher, i just dont know her name yet. Kinda an all in one package. Buy one get one free type of thing.

For the DIYer there is no end. No matter how much gets done and finished there is always something else that can stand a changing. Either minor or severe.

It's imposable to get everything we want because there is NEVER an END! NEVER!!! NEVEAHAHAHhAAhaHAHAAHahaahAHAAhaahahaah ....

I need a drink ...

Not to mention, once you've "finished" all the rooms, it's time to start over again ... re-painting, re-finishing floors, re-decorating after 10 years of the same stuff, etc.

For some strange reason these last couple of posts make me feel better... Like... I am not alone out there... that this is all perfectly normal... cool... ;)

Reading this (and others') response, I can attest that DH and I are genuine DIYs. And in Mexico, hiring a contractor does not assure that "there is an end." Sometimes, it is just a beginning!:ermm:

We've been working on our house for almost two years - latest project? To add an upstairs. Houses in Mexico are constructed of bricks, cement and stucco. There is always rebar sticking out the top so that another story can be added as resources become available - there are no home equity loans and few mortgages here, so everyone just pays cash as they can afford it. We started with building a set of stairs to the roof, and the second picture shows the cement pumper truck laying the roof in the forms.The far right shows what our house looks like today - DH is just finishing the plumbing upstairs so that another layer of cement can be poured in the bathroom (that's right - they just bury the plumbing in the cement!) Then comes electricity, windows and floor tiles. Oh - and paint!

304674505_009ac89e48_m.jpg
1286617236_9b8ac20c0a_m.jpg
1910154620_d2d235dbe0_m.jpg

THEN, we get to start on the landscaping. Whew.........

Last edited:

I need a drink ...

LOL Wart my house is definintley driving me to drink!

Everything you say is true.... with the exception of the contractor thing.... you need to edit that statement with a "good" or "Reliable"

Getting closer to my kitchen.... ripped up the floor boards in the room above it last night. Need to sister some joints and hopefully saturday I can dump my truck and pick up some new wood and install the new sub floor.

One thing I had to do was give up on deadlines or dates and just do what I can when I can.

Oh, Karen, your house looks beautiful, even under construction. I love the colours and shapes of the architecture in Mexico. So alive, and artistic, like your paintings!

Thanks, Laurie. Mexico is definitely inspiring...just a different kind of place. When we head back north for a visit, everything looks so colorless and boring. I can't figure out why a place like Portland, OR (where we moved from) has so many gray and white and beige houses, when it rains so much that something bright would be so welcome.

okay, i just noticed this thread, I'll try to post 4 pictures of my main kitchen and one of the canning kitchen

Attachments

• DSCF0025.jpg
    DSCF0025.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF0026.jpg
    DSCF0026.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF0028.jpg
    DSCF0028.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF0029.jpg
    DSCF0029.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF0038.jpg
    DSCF0038.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 185
Not hardly!

I have pictures of my kitchen before knocking it down. It's a nightmare I would rather not remember. In a previous thread I mentioned how there were joist in the back of the house that needed replacing, there were a few under the kitchen that needed replaced too. And a mouse (mice?) had stashed at least a 5 pound sack of cat food under the cabinets.

Wife insisted on this house because of the amount of money we could save. It only cost me my sanity.

The whole house needed reworking so we rented a 10 yard dumpster and filled it with 'house'. This is where the kitchen stalled.

Click the image to see a larger version.

Wife asks me when I'm going to finish it. I remind Wife how when you start with a nightmare and get it to only a not-disturbing dream it can be lived with for quite a while.

Whach you think of the lights? LOL, It was Industrial lights done this way or crawl through the attic with pink insulation to do the wiring .... I hate pink insulation (pathologically) ... Some day I'll put in real fixtures, probably after going on Valium.

Yes, the floor is urethaned plywood. We took up the carpet in the bedroom with the intent of putting down hardwood, discovered the room really could use a second sub floor. Put the sub down, urethaned it to seal it, it didn't look bad so I started running numbers and found we could second sub floor with urethane the entire house for the cost of doing one room in hard wood. It's quite functional.

Thanks for the inspiration Wart I am copying your floor

Back
Top Bottom