Kitchen size - I bet you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remodeled mine 5 years ago.

Attachments

• Kitchen002.jpg
    Kitchen002.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 181
Nice.

Do you have a better shot of the backsplash and those black tiles? Also, where did you get the greenhouse window?

Looks great.

Actually I don't have a closer pic. They are the same Volga Blue granite as the counter top. Supposed to be Orion's Belt. When my kid was about 5, we were going for a walk and he asked me if I had a star. I said I didn't know, do you? He says yes, points at Orion's Belt and said that's mine in the middle and you and Mommy's on the sides.

The greenhouse window was original, not part of the remod.

OMG I am not Alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought I was the only one with a kitchen that desperately needed knocking down!!

Not hardly!

I have pictures of my kitchen before knocking it down. It's a nightmare I would rather not remember. In a previous thread I mentioned how there were joist in the back of the house that needed replacing, there were a few under the kitchen that needed replaced too. And a mouse (mice?) had stashed at least a 5 pound sack of cat food under the cabinets.

Wife insisted on this house because of the amount of money we could save. It only cost me my sanity.

The whole house needed reworking so we rented a 10 yard dumpster and filled it with 'house'. This is where the kitchen stalled.

Click the image to see a larger version.

Wife asks me when I'm going to finish it. I remind Wife how when you start with a nightmare and get it to only a not-disturbing dream it can be lived with for quite a while.

Whach you think of the lights? LOL, It was Industrial lights done this way or crawl through the attic with pink insulation to do the wiring .... I hate pink insulation (pathologically) ... Some day I'll put in real fixtures, probably after going on Valium.

Yes, the floor is urethaned plywood. We took up the carpet in the bedroom with the intent of putting down hardwood, discovered the room really could use a second sub floor. Put the sub down, urethaned it to seal it, it didn't look bad so I started running numbers and found we could second sub floor with urethane the entire house for the cost of doing one room in hard wood. It's quite functional.

My brother lived in an apartment on Beacon Hill in Boston. His kitchen was so small that you had to open the fridge door in order to open the oven door otherwise the oven door would hit the fridge and not get more than a few inches open. His bathroom also had a slanted roof. You could not stand in the shower because of it. He had a stool in there so he could shower sitting down. Same for the toilet. Not a problem for girls, but guys did not like it.

Saphellae, listen to all these stories. You're just starting out - we've all been there. My first apartment was half of the upstairs of a house. The kitchen was similar to yours. Each new place we lived got better and better, till we bought the house and went backward
lol.gif
The house had a kitchen from the '40s. We were able to bring it up to about the '80s, and then last summer, I got almost my dream kitchen. One day, you'll have yours, too.

Yep, it is making me feel better that I will have a great kitchen one day :) I just wish I had a bigger one.. and with a window / stove vent... it gets hot as heck in there when I have the oven and one or more burners going. I have to do the dishes as I go or else I won't have room lol

Wow GB, that is crazy. I'm happy to say I can stand up in my shower.

I have other reasons for wanting to move out.

At the tail end of January we were visiting my hometown 4 hours away for a friends wedding. Right before the wedding (on the way there, actually) we got a phone call that the heater had exploded hot water all over out bedroom and was continuing to do so like a fountain. We asked them to call us back with more information.

Right after the wedding we were just sitting down at the reception and got another call, and we left immediately. I wanted to be at that wedding so badly, but we just had to get home.

Anyways, the heater exploded in our apartment on the 19th floor and the water went all the way down to the 4th by the time they stopped it. We had a brand new, 5000$ tempurpedic mattress that took all the water like a sponge. When it was full the rest of the carpet soaked with over two inches of water on it.

To make a long story short, alot of things were ruined. They are STILL trying to blame it on us. The windows in this apartment are inward swinging, and to lock them you twist the handle down. Needless to say, a gust of wind on the 19th floor opens these windows fairly easily. And, since it was winter, they said that it made the pipes burst.

I don't believe it, to be honest. There is piping hot water flowing through the entire building. I might be inclined to believe it if the water was stationary in our heater. They are trying to say that we left the window open in the middle of winter, and left for the weekend. Unbelievable! We have records of other tenants saying their windows
blow open as well, and we have proof that there are serious pipe problems here.

Okay, I'm done my rant :p LOL!

Not hardly!

In a previous thread I mentioned how there were joist in the back of the house that needed replacing, there were a few under the kitchen that needed replaced too. And a mouse (mice?) had stashed at least a 5 pound sack of cat food under the cabinets.

Wife insisted on this house because of the amount of money we could save. It only cost me my sanity.

The whole house needed reworking so we rented a 10 yard dumpster and filled it with 'house'. This is where the kitchen stalled.

Wife asks me when I'm going to finish it. I remind Wife how when you start with a nightmare and get it to only a not-disturbing dream it can be lived with for quite a while.

Whach you think of the lights? LOL,

Yes, the floor is urethaned plywood..

wart... LOL! My kitchen "foundation is 2x6 on dirt! I bough a fixer upper too only to find out after the fact all the hidden problems like failing brick and rotten beams.

I actually like the lights.

The floor loolks pretty good. I should have done that! Too late though I only have 1 room left to go on the wood floors... (I thought I could restore the old wide boards LOL! You should have seen what was left of them).

Kitchen is next on the list. I am hoping for demo in July or so

my kitchen's a BABY! it's like an efficency kitchen, attached to another room.
we need table trays to cook meals & i barely cook with my mandoline cause trays wobble. my mixer, coffeepot, blender, school knives-in my living room.

Is that a gas stove I spy? Would kill for that! Charcoal will help, so will baking soda. Looks clean and I like a white fridge.
Small space, less to clean. The more you have the more you have to maintain. Good Luck.

I'm not sure if its a gas stove.. how do I tell?

Here's 20 lbs of poo-poo in a 10 lb bag.
My other house had a nice kitchen compared to this one. This house I had to get a few rooms liveable on little money, so for the kitchen I ripped out the metal cabinets, patched the ceiling and floor, painted everything, had linoleum put down, then started putting together cabinets and cramming stuff in. I'm still adding cabinets to this poor design.
Stove around the corner from everything, where the old lady I bought the place from had her washing machine, limited counter space (especially cuz the counter has a way of collecting things, like my DO that I don't want to put back in the cellar). The dishwasher door is hard to get around with my breadmachine/pressure cooker cabinet right across from it. No window outside! Terrible lighting. The fridge door opens into a window sill that looks onto a sun porch (the porch was added on, which is why there aren't any more windows in the kitchen that look outside). I keep a knife set (under the towel) and some cookbooks, on the sill, but it is hard to get ice trays into their spot in the freezer because the door doesn't open quite all the way. The registers were in stupid spots, so I had to be carefull not to cover those with anything, which is why there's that gap between the refrigerator and counter, because there's a floor register there.

What really needs to be done is the bathroom ripped out and relocated to a room to the right. Right now it sits basically behind the stove with the door just out of the pic. Then the kitchen could expand into where the bathroom was (is now), which would give me more outside wall for a window and I could add a walk-in pantry..... I could knock part of the wall out where those two "dead" windows are on the left and make it into a bar area with a couple stools...... 20 grand of spare cash and I'll be set! :LOL:

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 192
If ^^^ that was my kitchen, that bathroom would be history. No way am I walking that far from the fridge to the stove.

Here's 20 lbs of poo-poo in a 10 lb bag.
I like how you described it at the beginning. LOL!!

I think we all wish that the government would give us each 20 grand and we could all build the kitchen of our dreams.

Edit..

I think if anything, I want a kitchen that cleans easier. The linoleum squares in my kitchen lift up because of the flood we had, and theres a baseboard under a cupboard that comes out and its the nastiest thing ever. Brown crap, nasty glue, I always have to clean it thoroughly as it tends to be growing something in there...

I desperately want to clean under the stove and the fridge after the flood, because I can SEE the grime, but I can't get to it. I couldn't move the fridge out all the way or the stove. God knows how they got it in there.

Think "Honey I Shrunk the Kitchen Appliances"

Last edited:
One nice thing about a small kitchen is that you save alot of steps. That is a cute kitchen. Roy

Remodeled mine 5 years ago.
That just really freaked me out. I had to look twice. My in laws just redid their kitchen this year and it looks VERY similar to yours qmax. I love the wine rack in the island. My inlaws do not have that. What a great idea.

If ^^^ that was my kitchen, that bathroom would be history. No way am I walking that far from the fridge to the stove.

I have long arms. I only walk as far as the end of the counter and toss the food over into the pan :LOL:
I'd say it takes some getting used to, but you never do :ermm:

I have long arms. I only walk as far as the end of the counter and toss the food over into the pan :LOL:
I'd say it takes some getting used to, but you never do :ermm:

Just a quick thought: If you did remove that bathroom, you would have plumbing available in the center of your kitchen for an island/sink combo prep area thingamabob.

Back
Top Bottom