Kitchen size - I bet you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need a nice exhaust hood.
Then I wouldn't have to keep my smoke alarm disabled.....

They make ventless ones that are easy to install and pretty affordable. They have a little filter that needs to be cleaned every so often. Although, sometimes I get on a roll, and the thing is helpless.

Yeah, my microwave above the stove has one, but it's pretty noisy and unless the pan is directly under it (as in using a back burner) it's pretty worthless.

We had an over the stove micro like that as well, it wasn't quite that bad but still only got about half the smoke. And it was noisy too!

we had really bad mouldy smells in India after the monsoons and I finally had the driver find me some charcoal which I shoved under the furniture and in the closets----it really did help absorb the odors

I went from having 5 cupboards to this when we bought or doublewide. One of the stipulations I put on picking out the new place was that the kitchen was big. there is a total of 25 cupboards and 7 drawers, plus the door straight ahead on the left is a pantry that is 41/2 foot wide by 91/2 foot long for all my food including my chest freezer.

Attachments

• kitchen.JPG
    kitchen.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 203
We had an over the stove micro like that as well, it wasn't quite that bad but still only got about half the smoke. And it was noisy too!

What is bad about those OTS Microwave vents, is that they are not properly vented. They recirculate the air back into the house as opposed to out of the house. Boy, if I knew half the crap I know now when I bought my house!!!!

Ok, I hope these don't come out too big.
It was an awful partical wood box with holes cut out for doors and drawers that the previous owner did. We tore it all out and opened it up. It's not fancy, but, it's all I need:)

Attachments

• 100_0396.jpg
    100_0396.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_0397.jpg
    100_0397.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 163
  • ScannedImage.jpg
    ScannedImage.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 175
What is bad about those OTS Microwave vents, is that they are not properly vented. They recirculate the air back into the house as opposed to out of the house. Boy, if I knew half the crap I know now when I bought my house!!!!
They do not have to be. I have one and it is vented outside.

Texasgirl, it looks pretty fancy to me...nice work! I love the paint job on the walls - pretty color of blue. What you need in the middle of that blue wall is one of my colorful Mexico paintings...wish I could bring you one!

Mine has the duct outlets if I want to vent it out a rear wall, too.
It's just too bad it's not on an outside wall, but it's too noisy anyway. I couldn't hear the TV.

Texasgirl, it looks pretty fancy to me...nice work! I love the paint job on the walls - pretty color of blue. What you need in the middle of that blue wall is one of my colorful Mexico paintings...wish I could bring you one!

oooo, I would love a colorful paintings! My living room is all indian stuff. That would blend in, I think. I wish you could bring me one too:LOL:

My OTS micro had the option of venting inside or outside. It had filters on it, they kinda sorta worked a little. In the summer we vented it outside so as not to heat up the house, and in the winter we vented it inside so as not to waste the heat.

Quirky?

QUIRKY!??!!

My Industrial lights? The floods on the walls? The plywood floor??

The wood under the coffee maker looking like there is dripping coffee stains?

drip.jpg

The corner cupboard with what could be lewd patterns in the grain?

The home made piney wood bench
bench.jpg
bench_side_1.jpg
with the raw wood top
bench_top.jpg
that flips up
bench_trash_1.jpg
to receive cuttings from the board?

Quirky? How dare YOU!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah, it is a bit odd. ;)

I have one last piece to make before starting on the doors. That piece being the island. I still havent decided what size to make it. Time to get a tape and start measuring ....

One of the things I was unimpressed with while looking at ideas in the box stores was how cheaply kitchen cabinetry is made. I'm not referring to only the presswood crapola from KraftMade and such, I also mean the Thomasville stuff. If not for being attached to the floor and/or walls the box store stuff would collapse. Least thats how it seemed to me. The stuff I build can be unscrewed from the toe kick and have legs put under it.

The kitchen is ~ 10 x 19 and originally had 30 and 32 inch 'doorways' just shy of the mid point on the long walls. The cooking section was/is in the shallow end and the dining section was in the deep end. It felt like a dungeon. I'm not claustrophobic but something about it (?) was oppressive.

Out came the wrecking bars and SawZall, walls and doorways get opened up, sink gets moved so there is a contiguous work area and an alcove built for the range. The actual work area is 7 1/2 to 8 feet by 10 feet and quite functional.

A bigger kitchen isn't always better. I was watching the trophy kitchen show(s) and wondered how anything got done in many of these kitchens without walking shoes. Refrigerators next to ranges and ovens, ornate decorations in effluent areas, lace curtains, chandlers, ranges in islands that share public space .... heck, my range is buried in an alcove 10 inches from a walk way and I was worried that was too close.

This is my kitchen, just before we moved in. LOTS of cabinets... which I have managed to fill quite nicely!
Could use more counter space, but I get by.
Gas stove, electric oven in the wall, area for kitchen table opposite the
long wall of cabinets...
img_600499_0_e786f3660943873e1f86111bc19d47d5.jpg

img_600499_1_f977b48437d684d478e0d27aa886f6f5.jpg

Ok yall I am sort of embarassed but this is what I am dealing with right now...

of course he dosent care he just wants the scraps

This is where I was a few months ago looking from the "dining room" in

I took down the drywall and chipped off the plaster to "expose" the brick... what I exposed was a structural disaster.... note this pic... the brick is gone from half the wall you are looking at the bacl of the kitchen wall... the opening to the dining room is in the middle there now.... hopefully I will demo the rest by the end of the summmer. All of your awesome renos give me hope

feel better about your kitchens :rolleyes:

All those DIY shows make it look so easy LOL

If we ever got everything we wanted, we'd end up bored, right? Nice to have something to work towards...looks like what you have is pretty functional, and you've got some really nice cookware. Thanks for sharing it with us - I'm sure it will be beautiful when you get it done....

Back
Top Bottom