Kitchen Update Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelemarie

Executive Chef
I know alot of you have done some amazing things with your kitchen and I would love your advice!

Our ceramic tile floor was put in around our existing kitchen cabinets. We may - I repeat may, replace the cabinets and install them ourselves (quit laughing!) We are not changing the configuration except for replacing a desk with a set of drawers. My question, are the new cabinets going to follow the cut-out of the floor or are we going to have problems. One of the lines of cabinets we are looking at are the same brand (but upgraded) that we already have. Are we better off sticking with the same brand? Is it too risky to get an entirely new brand? Because we might do this ourselves I am a tad (times 100) nervous. Any input whatsoever will help! Thanks!

I see this question is not getting much play. I don't have a good answer for you Michelemarie. I think you can fix any small imperfections you might see with the new cabinets pretty easily. If you aren't changing the configuration it should work. But I'm no contractor.

You're braver than I am that's for sure! Good luck. I wish I had some advice for you!!

See if the cabinet supplier can provide you with the measurements of the new cabinets' footprint (the part of the cabinets that actually touch the floor. then you can compare that to what you have now.

Some minor differences can be camoflaged if you can arrange it so gaps are in front of the cabinets under the overhang.

In any event, differences should be minor as kitchen cabinets are fairly standard size.

All I can tell you is that when we replaced our

cabinets the new UPPER ones were shallower than the old. I never thought that they would be a different depth. During the remodel I was able to add 2 cabinets so instead of ending up with extra storage space I have about the same. What is really irritating is that some of my platters now don't fit and I have to keep them someplace else (a more inconvenient place) I think the bottom cabinets are the same depth but I'm not sure since we put down a new floor also. Just check with the cabinet supplier on the dimensions of the cabinets and be specific in your request. Make sure they know about the tile you have now and how it was installed. Who ever you buy from should come and measure your kitchen anyhow. Even the home improvement stores will do it. Good Luck.

I would never attempt to do what you are talking about trying. I did the accounting for a custom cabinet company for 7 years and even professional installers have to cut things down, have boxes rebuilt, refinish the cabinets where they get scratched during installation, etc. Good luck, but I think I would look into having someone put them in, that way if they mess up (and they probabally will) they have to fix them.

cabinet sizes are more or less standardized, but you have to see what you have and replace the size exactly or you may find yourself 6" shallow here or there.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I am so nervous and indecisive about this whole thing! As if I need another reason to drink :-p !

This kitchen project was started 6 months-I got quotes to replace counters, replace cabinets and reface cabinets--we ended up putting it on the back burner. Well, now it is on the front burner again as we are taking down wallpaper and repainting and the countertops really need to go. We really can't afford new cabinets but we really hate them and are afraid they may not last long as well as that the new countertops will not help us like them more.

Could I live with these cabinets - yes, however, they are white thermafoil and have began warping (next to the stove), are chipped (near the floor on the desk) and peeling. We are afraid we are going to have to replace them within the next 10 years anyways so swallow the pill now and get it over with. That is why we were thinking of installing ourselves-to save $. Both places we are looking at will measure, so that makes me feel better. I am nervous about hanging them ourselves although my cousin has done this in the past and said he will help. Anyone know how long white thermafoil cabinets last? Should we bite the bullet and do it all now or just do the cabinets and hope it will look better and the cabinets will last?

Is there away you can just buy new doors for the cabnets so at least they have a new look? The inside might not be as nice as you'd like but
you'd feel better looking at them as you walk through the kitchen.

Well, the problem is that they are white and we want wood, so if we get new doors they would have to be white doors. I priced out refacing but it wasn't too much cheaper than buying new because of our size. I will keep the white if I know that these cabinets are going to last without any more peeling and warping. I am trying to search the internet for answers..........

Michelemarie
I have not been to this group for a while, please excuse me for that.
I set kitchens for a living. I think you are referring to the foot print of the cabinets? The toe kick area? these can be packed out if the new cabinets do not cover. One more thing if you have a tile floor watch the height of the dish washer/ making sure that you have enough height to get the DW in and out.
If I can help please feel free to e-mail me as I do not get to reed all the post in this forum.
Kim:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom