"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2015, 01:24 AM   #1
Sous Chef
 
CrazyCatLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 532
Kitten Explosion

Back in June when a neighbor's house burnt, I rescued three tiny kittens from the house. They are ten months old now; two boys and a girl.

We've had some severe weather where the power has gone out, but we have a whole-house generator connected to the gas line. The generator kicks on when the power is off for more than three minutes.

The problem is that the generator sounds like a cross between an earthquake and a disgruntled Teamster when it starts up. Once it cycles down, you hardly hear it at all.

Our power went out, and all three kittens were piled up on top of each other on the couch when the generator kicked on. All of a sudden I had a kitten explosion; all three of them flew up off the couch and took off in three different directions. One flew under the guest room bed, another landed in the bathtub, and the third tried to make herself one with the china cabinet.

I guess you would have had to be here when it happened but mercy, I laughed my head off!

My five adult cats slept through the whole thing. They're used to it. LOL!

__________________

__________________
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
Back in June when a neighbor's house burnt, I rescued three tiny kittens from the house. They are ten months old now; two boys and a girl.

We've had some severe weather where the power has gone out, but we have a whole-house generator connected to the gas line. The generator kicks on when the power is off for more than three minutes.

The problem is that the generator sounds like a cross between an earthquake and a disgruntled Teamster when it starts up. Once it cycles down, you hardly hear it at all.

Our power went out, and all three kittens were piled up on top of each other on the couch when the generator kicked on. All of a sudden I had a kitten explosion; all three of them flew up off the couch and took off in three different directions. One flew under the guest room bed, another landed in the bathtub, and the third tried to make herself one with the china cabinet.

I guess you would have had to be here when it happened but mercy, I laughed my head off!

My five adult cats slept through the whole thing. They're used to it. LOL!
That description is perfect. I can just see them flying under their own power to the nearest safe place that they think will save them.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
LOL!!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
Love it! As I was reading your post, I thought you were going to report a "kitten explosion" as a result of some, um, begatting on the part of your new young residents. Glad to see, so far, that's not been the case, although they are close to the perfect age for that.

Your description was perfect and, like Addie, I could visualize all the flying about and scurrying for safety. Aren't they fun?
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,115
When I was at my Dad's when my stepmom had her accident and had just come home from rehab, momma cat and the 3 kittens were on the screened porch because there were lots of people visiting and we didn't want them getting out in the confusion. The lawn people came to do their job. Suddenly, someone yelled for me. Momma cat was at the top of the screen, about 8' high, and the kittens were nowhere to be found. They were in this old end table that was open at bottom with drawers and were all huddled up in 1 of the drawers. I had to yell at the lawn people to stop the mowers so that momma cat would come down from the top of the screen and I could get the kittens out w/o being clawed to death. They went into my bedroom for the remainder of the "visiting time."
__________________
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:27 AM   #6
Sous Chef
 
CrazyCatLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Love it! As I was reading your post, I thought you were going to report a "kitten explosion" as a result of some, um, begatting on the part of your new young residents. Glad to see, so far, that's not been the case, although they are close to the perfect age for that.

Your description was perfect and, like Addie, I could visualize all the flying about and scurrying for safety. Aren't they fun?
They are a hoot! They are all fixed -- for my own protection -- and they do the hallway surfing on the runner. The problem is that we have hardwood floors so when they jump off the runner they have no traction so they slam themselves into the linen closet. I've never seen such a bunch of dingbats.

Not only that but at treat time, we separate the three from our five adult cats. Now I know why I've never had more than two kittens at a time. With two, you can scoop them up, open the guest room door with their treats, and run away.

Not so with three. It's that danged third one who decides to be independent, and that gives you a whole other meaning to the term "herding cats."

The kittens are 10 months old and one of them, a big black one named Buster, already weighs in at a whopping 15 pounds. He came down with a cold and colds can be deadly to cats because they don't breathe well through their mouths like dogs do. So I call the vet and tell them I'm bringing one of the kittens, Buster.

So I'm dragging this 15-pound monster out of the crate by his hind legs when the vet comes in. He took one look at him and said, That's a kitten? I thought I was going to see a kitten. That's not a kitten, that's a panther!"

I said, "Yeah, yeah, I know. We had a little issue with him getting into the Miracle-Gro in the garage. Dang, I'll be darned, I thought that stuff only worked on tomatoes."

Anyway, he's fine now.

His brother, who we call Tuxy, is a perfect black and white tuxedo with very long fur and a plume of a tail and, even down to the milk mustache. He's a narcissist. He preens in front of our mirrored closet doors for hours. Our daughter didn't even spend that much time in front of mirrors. Geez!

Molly, their little sister is tiny. I'm guessing she was the runt. We nicknamed her the Princess because she refused to go out the dog door between the kitchen and the garage where the pet area is. We had to open the door for her and finally I gave up and shoved her little self through the door.

Molly got even. Hubby borrowed my credit card and left it on the kitchen table. I had given up and so I went to the garage to clean the litterboxes...and there was Molly burying my credit card.

It must have been a hint!
__________________
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
CrazyCatLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Love it! As I was reading your post, I thought you were going to report a "kitten explosion" as a result of some, um, begatting on the part of your new young residents. Glad to see, so far, that's not been the case, although they are close to the perfect age for that.

Your description was perfect and, like Addie, I could visualize all the flying about and scurrying for safety. Aren't they fun?
LOL they are! "Some, um, begatting..." made me laugh and spit Coke through my nose.

They're fixed...for my own protection.
__________________
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
CrazyCatLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
LOL they are! "Some, um, begatting..." made me laugh and spit Coke through my nose.

They're fixed...for my own protection.
Oh no. That did not come out right; Coke + nose = not good.

__________________
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
LOL!!!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
Sous Chef
 
CrazyCatLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 532
I can't believe I said that. I must be tired, Ogress.
__________________

__________________
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.