"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 AM   #11
DC Grandma

I have made several afghans..but Paul always said "But Babe...they are full of holes!"
LOL

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #12
Hospitality Queen

oooooooooh, I wish I could knit!!
I came from a family full of crocheters, and we have the MANY afghans to prove it ;)
I learned to crochet early on, but wasn't all that good. I tried again as an adult, but only made one blanket worth keeping, which was a baby blanket for my second son. I believe the cat has it now.

But, I have one thing I really want to learn - to sew with a machine. Mom & Grandma made a lot of my clothes when I was growing up and Grandma even made amazing Barbie clothes for us. My sister is a whiz at it. She took sewing class in Junior High, but I took cooking instead. (apparently that class stuck!)

But now, after sewing many things like curtains by hand, it's time!
I plan on getting a good sewing machine within the next year or so and taking a class.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If you were closer to Escondido, jkath, I would tell you to go to my dad's store. He would give you a great deal on a sewing machine. I love sewing! I hope you do too. One of the most important things I have learned, though, is that if I am not in the mood to put a zipper in, I had better wait! Otherwise I will be putting it in twice (and it's no fun to take a zipper out!). I am absolutely going to have to get together with you now so I can show you how I do my hems. No one beats my hems, if I do say so myself!

Barbara
Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I love that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove View Post
I have made several afghans..but Paul always said "But Babe...they are full of holes!"
LOL
Old 01-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
But, I have one thing I really want to learn - to sew with a machine. Mom & Grandma made a lot of my clothes when I was growing up and Grandma even made amazing Barbie clothes for us. My sister is a whiz at it. She took sewing class in Junior High, but I took cooking instead. (apparently that class stuck!)

But now, after sewing many things like curtains by hand, it's time!
I plan on getting a good sewing machine within the next year or so and taking a class.
You go, girl! I love sewing. I had to teach myself because I was a rotten teenager and refused to let my mom teach me then. By the time I had a family and really wanted to learn, she was busy doing other things (which served me right). Go to a sewing machine repair place and chat up the repair person. They will be happy to tell you what to look for in a good machine and what to steer clear of. Also, they will recommend different models you may come across in garage or estate sales that are wonderful bargains. They will even let you come back with a used machine and show you how to use and maintain it - especially if you bring baked goodies! (Can you tell I'm excited for you???)
Old 01-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
Sous Chef

TG I'm so glad you are enjoying the knitting.
It's something I've always been fairly useless at
When I was at school we were taught knitting by a nun who used to stalk round the classroom watching us. When she got to me she used to snatch the needles frome me, pull the knitting off and unravel it and tell me to start again!! That's probably why I've always been fairly useless!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I love to knit! I learned it 2 years ago and crochet last year. All great! I used to cross-stitch but sort of neglected it since I picked up the others.
For books, I like Knitting for Dummies, I Taught Myself Knitting (small book but very basic) and Stitch n *****.
Internet is wonderful for learning!
Crochetville Forum
this is for crochet but they have a couple knitting forums that are just as helpful.
Lion Brand Yarn Company
Knitting
KnittingHelp.com | Learn How to Knit
Knitting Pattern Central - Free, Online Knitting Patterns - Beginner Knitting Instructions - Knitting Tips, Tricks, Testimonials and More!
Or just PM me I can help! Knitting / Crochet and cooking are my favorite things. Then I wonder why I gain weight in the winter!!!!! Ya gotta eat what ya cook and Knitting doesn't burn much!
I'll see if I can think up anymore help for you.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
...For books, I like Knitting for Dummies...
I bought that at Target a few weeks ago. I figured that if I learned something, great, and if I didn't, it was only a dollar and might at least be interesting to read.

Barbara
Old 01-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #19
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
You go, girl! I love sewing. I had to teach myself because I was a rotten teenager and refused to let my mom teach me then. By the time I had a family and really wanted to learn, she was busy doing other things (which served me right). Go to a sewing machine repair place and chat up the repair person. They will be happy to tell you what to look for in a good machine and what to steer clear of. Also, they will recommend different models you may come across in garage or estate sales that are wonderful bargains. They will even let you come back with a used machine and show you how to use and maintain it - especially if you bring baked goodies! (Can you tell I'm excited for you???)
Absolutely wonderful advice!! Thank you, and I will most certainly go about it this way! Especially the baking part
Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Also, for books, browse thru Amazon. I've found books for a dollar or 2 there. You can get one new book for $20 and you will qualify for free shipping, then add on a bunch of cheap ones. I did that with crochet...... except DH was the one that got the brand new book. :(
About car polishing. WOWEEEEEE!!!!
But I did get about 5 books out of it, so I suppose I got the better deal.